Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2018, 10:00   #16
BHPian

Re: Formula 1: The 2018 British Grand Prix

With the Mercedes taking the pole and Silverstone being their stronghold, I was expecting an uneventful and boring race. In the end it turned out to be good race, credit to poor start from Lewis and quick get away from Sebastian, followed by the safety cars. For the first time this season we got to see some spectacular crashes, lucky the drivers came out unharmed.
Good recovery drive by Lewis, though he got lucky with the safety car and team orders(??) to gain few positions in the end. Kimi was just fantastic barring the first lap incident. His overtaking moves on Red Bulls from the outside were just amazing to watch. I hope he gets to keep his seat at least for next season. One more strategy goof up by Mercedes meant Bottas lost out again from being first to fourth in the last few laps. Feel really sorry for this guy.

It is silly of Mercedes to blame the first lap incidents as deliberate while both Sebastian and Kimi lost out on both occasions. What i feel is the recent performance surge of Ferrari's is making them desperate. This is the first time they are being challenged and beaten fair and square by anyone consistently since 2014 and that too on tracks(Montreal, Silverstone) where Mercedes were dominant force in those years.

Final Classifications

Formula 1: The 2018 British Grand Prix-res.jpg
*Post race penalty for Gasly meant he lost the 10th place to Perez

Interesting graph showing the progress of drivers
Attached Thumbnails
Formula 1: The 2018 British Grand Prix-progress.jpg  

Last edited by Makin Rulesz : 9th July 2018 at 10:13.
Old 9th July 2018, 10:04   #17
BANNED

I personally consider the Kimi-Hamilton crash no more than a racing incident. I fact when they were talking about a penalty on Kimi I was wondering why? The incident looked kosher to me.

Vettel had a superb race and Hamilton cribbing was more of sour grapes. I wonder if we did not have a safety car period whether it would have been a Ferrari 1-2.
Old 9th July 2018, 10:20   #18
Senior - BHPian

I had a wide grin on my face when I read Lewis's comments in the press conference. I am sure Vettel & Kimi had a nice laugh about the drama queen. The pressure has really got to him now, what's more interesting is the whole team sucking up to the pressure including Toto. Not sure if it was Susie Wolff on Sky TV, disgraceful comments by the whole crew wanting to make it look like a deliberate move.

Extremely commendable job from Ferrari to break into a Mercedes territory for so many years with a win. Not by luck, but by sheer pace! No big names in the engine/aero/chassis department and everybody in the paddock thought Ferrari was doomed when a certain Allison decided to leave Ferrari. Yet the team built a fantastic car.

Whichever way the championship goes, the team can be proud of making such a beautiful car that broke the sleep of a few big names in the sport! Forza Ferrari
anachronix is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th July 2018, 10:24   #19
Senior - BHPian

At the halfway point in the season, Mercedes is seriously losing the mind game as a team. And those statements from Toto and Lewis are totally unwarranted. Lewis had lost it by turn 1, Ferrari had the pace to hold it and eventually won.

They should have pitted Bottas during the first SC and got him on softs , which might not have been enough to attack Vettel but certainly would have helped him defend against Raikkonen, and save some points in the Constructors championship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
Bravosimo !
It is Bravissimo (I guess you meant to say Bravo in Italian).

Last edited by narayans80 : 9th July 2018 at 10:28.
Old 9th July 2018, 11:01   #20
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic race! again thanks to an incident right after the start. Kimi over ambitious, not deliberate ofcourse.

Though with DRS the top teams can now breeze through traffic if they are coming from the back of the grid. Too easy now.

Bottas being unable to stay with Vettel in the first stint defined the pace. I wonder if Merc did not pit Bottas just to attempt to slow Vettel down for Hamilton.

McLaren will need to resolve the top speed issue very quickly if they are to remain in the fight for 4th best team.
Old 9th July 2018, 11:16   #21
Senior - BHPian

Silverstone, as always, did not disappoint and yesterday's race was one of the best I've seen in some time. The 2017 Azerbaijan GP was the last one I enjoyed watching as much as this.

Highlights were some of the brilliant overtaking moves we were treated to all through the race with stand-outs like Vettel's pass on Bottas, Kimi's move on Max at the first Safety Car restart with Max coming back like a lion before losing out again and Kimi's first lap move around the outside of Daniel Ricciardo. Let's not forget that Lewis and, to an extent, Kimi had to come back through the field as well though one might argue the speed deficit the Top Six had on the rest of the field was phenomenal. Bottas' brilliant defence before Vettel eventually prevailed was note-worthy too.

Lewis has always been a sore loser and he proved it yet again at the end of the race. To even suggest Kimi might have hit him on purpose despite knowing the Finn would be risking his front wing and his own race by doing so is ridiculous and just immature. I thought Toto had a calm head but it appears the whole Mercedes-AMG Petronas team have gotten so used to winning that coming second is making their minds run crazy.

For us fans though, this was a race we'll remember for a long long time!

Last edited by arvi86 : 9th July 2018 at 11:18.
Old 9th July 2018, 11:17   #22
BANNED

@Hatari; Yes, you have opened the full can of worms. But I am inclined to treat as a racing incident, no more. Remember how tight was the qualifying, so the pressure was obvious. They did their best some more than others.
Old 9th July 2018, 11:55   #23
Senior - BHPian

Excellent race!
Kept me on the edge of the seat for the entire race especially after the first safety car incident.

Ferrari do have an edge over Mercedes. It is foolish of Lewis and Mercedes to suggest Ferrari using Kimi to ruin his races.

Redbull needs reliability to help them get closer to the two top teams.
Old 9th July 2018, 12:19   #24
Senior - BHPian

Must have been an eventful race by the look of things. I had to make do with just radio commentary from the F1 app while I was on the road!

Mercedes seem to be rattled, for them to be reacting the way they are doing.

Regarding Kimi-Lewis, the penalty seemed a little inconsistent (10 Sec vs usual 5 Sec), and on top of it 2 penalty points on his license.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nair View Post

Hotstar is the best option IMO. No commercials breaks. The sports package is just 300 bucks a year. Throw in the other sporting events like the Wimbledon, other grand slams and cricket, it is real value for money. Their highlights are better than the ones uploaded in Youtube as well. And if you watch on the mobile app, I don't think one even has to have the sports package. Mobile with good headphones is not a bad way to watch.

Last race (Austrian) I watched on Hotstar (launched through Tata Sky app) but it did have commercial breaks. May be they have different feeds for premium vs regular?
Btw it's a decent option for those with Tatasky when out of home.
Old 9th July 2018, 12:20   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hamilton is just sore about not winning at home. IMHO, he should be happy that he was able to recover the way he did, from the back of the grid. 2nd is really as good as it could get yesterday.

I'm posting here because I really hate STARVED Sports. What a useless sports channel. The opportunistic way they were taking breaks in the final 5 - 7 laps was cheap. Really cheap.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2018, 12:42   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
Last race (Austrian) I watched on Hotstar (launched through Tata Sky app) but it did have commercial breaks.
No ads if you are using Premium. Have been using for almost a year now.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2018, 13:33   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
At the halfway point in the season, Mercedes is seriously losing the mind game as a team. And those statements from Toto and Lewis are totally unwarranted. Lewis had lost it by turn 1, Ferrari had the pace to hold it and eventually won.
Lewis lost it to Bottas too, folks are kind of refusing to acknowledge Bottas' brilliant start because their precious would look kind of silly losing out to his #2 driver.

And how long it's been since a Merc driver got a penalty for causing an incident on track? The stewards seem to be dishing them out quite liberally to Ferrari these days.

Quote:
They should have pitted Bottas during the first SC and got him on softs , which might not have been enough to attack Vettel but certainly would have helped him defend against Raikkonen, and save some points in the Constructors championship.
Mercedes might have compromised their tire options by Q2 itself on Saturday, they had no fresh set of Softs for the race.

Formula 1: The 2018 British Grand Prix-161437.jpg

Quote:
It is Bravissimo (I guess you meant to say Bravo in Italian).
Cavallino Rampante!

PS: Getting a little sick of seeing that guy drive the Captur every few minutes between races!

Last edited by GTO : 16th July 2018 at 16:54. Reason: Uploading pic as attachment
sun_king is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2018, 13:38   #28
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I was wondering why the they said those comments, may be Mercedes F1 team feels it was deliberate because it happened two races in a row and the penalty time given is not much, compared to the time Bottas or Hamilton lost. Mercedes and the rest of the world know that they aren't exactly good behind dirty air of car with similar pace, so they will be stuck behind. So in all of the above context you can kind a speculate why they think it was deliberately done by Ferrari.

About the time penalty given, (whether it was a racing incident notwithstanding) while this time it was more appropriate, last race was just too less. As David Coultard told in the commentary, the penalty should be the same as the amount of time, the driver lost due to the incident.

I guess star sports don't monitor the race, really bad timings and greedy with the number of ads.

Even the F1 feed from channel 4 which the feed comes from, the out of the race driver interview done by that female channel 4 crew always interferes with the Team radio chat. They should record and play it, so that they can pause it, in the event of a team radio simultaneously.

Last edited by aim120 : 9th July 2018 at 13:41.
Old 9th July 2018, 15:28   #29
BHPian

Lewis lost the race at the start after Vettel’s brilliant getaway before Turn 3 clash.

An interesting comment from Toto Wolff after Austrian GP a week ago when Kimi finished ahead of Seb - “Ferrari team orders would have been brutal had it switched Kimi and Seb places with team orders"
Wonder what was Mercedes' strategy at Silverstone for Valteri, holding up Vettel or manage tyres so he can finish on podium. Isn’t it team orders from Silver Arrows which ruined his race?

Not taking away any credits from Lewis but let me remind that he doesn’t deserve ‘Driver of the Day’ – sluggish getaway from pole position, from P1 to P3, before the incident with Kimi and he never overtook genuine contender's, say a Ferrari or Red Bull, to finish on podium. These days in Formula 1 mid-level teams doesn't even bother to challenge Top 3.

Last edited by Scorpion 10 : 9th July 2018 at 15:55.
Old 9th July 2018, 16:15   #30
BHPian

What a race!!! Ferrari 1-3 was brilliant all from the outright pace. Fingers crossed that they can continue same form for the rest of the year.

Mercedes behaved as sore losers. Lewis is already known to not take failures in his stride but Toto, Lauda and Allison stooping to the same level. It was a purely racing incident like many others that have happened this year or years before. Kimi accepted the mistake and he was penalized for it. Penalty caused him to fall behind Riccardo and Hamilton after first stint. He came back to third on merit. But calling Kimi a cheat or incompetent shows how frustrated they are with the season not going their way and they not being able dominate like always. It hurt them the most this race because Ferrari scored a win in their backyard and they could do nothing about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'm posting here because I really hate STARVED Sports. What a useless sports channel. The opportunistic way they were taking breaks in the final 5 - 7 laps was cheap. Really cheap.
I completely agree to this. They didn't have a break when cars were circling around during first safety car period. The moment the safety car period ended, there was a break. And they joined back the action when Sainz and Grosjean had collided. It was so so cheap from a channel like "Star Sports"

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks