Old 9th July 2018, 17:12   #31
BHPian

Re: Formula 1: The 2018 British Grand Prix

Here are the highlights for anyone who missed the race

Cheers
Old 9th July 2018, 17:32   #32
BHPian

Interesting race after a long time! What a finish! While I dont like him, I have to admit, Lewis is indeed such a good driver - all the way back to P2. I mean, how many drivers today can achieve that?
And the last 5 or so laps were excruciatingly good to watch. Amazing to see the Mercedes and the Ferrari's chasing each other - like they should.
HAAS has done well, despite everything and almost challenging Force India.
Yeah, that Star Sports commercials are very very ill-timed. Either it is managed by someone who does not know anything about the sport or their TVS and Captur ads are paying them too much.
gtonsing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2018, 20:08   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
While I dont like him, I have to admit, Lewis is indeed such a good driver - all the way back to P2. I mean, how many drivers today can achieve that?
With the pace advantage the Mercs and Ferraris had, the worst he could've finished was P4.
P3 if you consider team orders.
Vysakh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2018, 20:16   #34
Team-BHP Support

Lewis is top-drawer, but yesterday wasn't an example of that.

He was upto 6th within 10 laps, pretty much uncontested, then made up a couple places under Safety Car when others pitted, finally overtaking Bottas when his tires were shot.

If anything, Vettel's drive in France and Hamilton's yesterday demonstrated the absolute performance chasm between the front-runners and the rest. It's practically two championships.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2018, 22:41   #35
BHPian

Toto and Lewis have both apologized. Toto on TV and LH on Instagram. So, we move on. But will Ferrari forget? Drama!!!
Old 9th July 2018, 22:46   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@Hatari; Yes, you have opened the full can of worms. But I am inclined to treat as a racing incident, no more. Remember how tight was the qualifying, so the pressure was obvious. They did their best some more than others.
I mentioned treating it as non deliberate. Kimi would never take anyone out intentionally.
Old 9th July 2018, 22:52   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
The timing of commercial break during the telecast was really pathetic .
Commercial breaks were just ridiculous. Commercial break right when the race restarts at full pace after safety car enters the pits. Just pathetic.
Old 10th July 2018, 06:59   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Commercial breaks were just ridiculous. Commercial break right when the race restarts at full pace after safety car enters the pits. Just pathetic.
Hotstar has a sports only package for Rs.299 for a year. It is well worth the price. No ads.
This makes most sense than even getting the star sports select channel on TV.
speedmiester is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2018, 08:59   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
Lewis is indeed such a good driver - all the way back to P2. I mean, how many drivers today can achieve that?
Even if we reverse the grid, the Mercs and Ferraris would be in the top 6. Throw in a SC or 2, you can be assured one of the 4 will win the race. Its only on the slower circuits where RBR holds and edge, otherwise its a Ferrari/Merc show this season.

Vettel did the same in Austrian GP. He ended up in P3 from the back of the grid with a pit stop + 5 seconds penalty + VSC. If Raikkonen let through like Bottas did, he'd have ended up P2 as well.

Silverstone's final classification tells a story, look at the gap between Hulk and Ricciardo.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2018, 13:34   #40
Senior - BHPian

A fabulous race it was. Anyone get the feeling that when the stakes are down, Hamilton complains a lot. Thats poor sportsmanship IMO.

He had the gods, goblins and ghosts on his side. A phenomenal drive from him to recover back to 2nd but I can't help but think that things would be different if the Safety car didn't come out twice towards the last 15-20 laps.

I am stunned at Ferrari's consistent pace this year. Races like Canada, Silverstone and Austria were supposed to go bad for them. What a fabulous season its been so far!!

Sad to see Leclerc lose out in the end. Ferrari may have a problem in hand with Kimi looking supremely quick this last weekend. Tough decisions for the management but it seems like the top boss has a lot against Kimi.
Old 10th July 2018, 15:15   #41
Senior - BHPian

https://wtf1.com/post/arrivabene-hit...-of-foul-play/

Fitting reply from the usually calm Maurizio.
anachronix is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2018, 20:24   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
https://wtf1.com/post/arrivabene-hit...-of-foul-play/

Fitting reply from the usually calm Maurizio.
Kimi got spousal support too... Next race someone will show up in ballet costume and most likely this will somehow end up in allegations of racism.
(https://twitter.com/hashtag/mintturaikkonen)
Attached Thumbnails
Formula 1: The 2018 British Grand Prix-dhnl7prx4ae_4c6.jpg  

Old 16th July 2018, 07:16   #43
Senior - BHPian

I have been a hardcore Ferrari fan for the last 15 years or so. But irrespective of that I always thought that Lewis was a pretty good racer. He is that, but a very bad loser though! His issue was the bad start and he would have never finished above Vettel considering that both the cars were almost evenly matched even in Qualifying. So he was very lucky he got to the podium, thanks to 2 SCs. He is so used to being unchallenged for the last 3-4 years, except may be occasionally by Rosberg, that he seems to get too worked up when the Ferraris are quick.

He should have never said what he said. I think he lost the respect of genuine F1 fans, who do not hate a driver to like another.

Most Viewed