Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2018, 12:02   #31
BHPian

Re: Formula 1: The 2018 Hungarian Grand Prix

Quite a boring race apart from the excitement due to Vettel's front left.

Lewis got lucky with the rain on Sunday, otherwise it would have been much closer. In fact, I would have put my money on a Ferrari 1-2 if it was a dry qualifying considering their pace through the weekend.

No safety car also played well into Lewis's hands. Although overtaking him on this track would have been quite a difficult task for Vettel.

Going to the summer break, Ferrari will rue the missed chance at Germany. Otherwise the championship would have been much closer going to the second half of the year. Luck is with Mercedes, and that's sometimes the difference in sports.
Old 30th July 2018, 12:06   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Ha ha!

----snip----well!
Team orders are nothing new, and always favor the one who is more likely to bring the title home.

Hamilton won by a more than fair margin, that's all that there is in the result.

Last edited by GTO : 31st July 2018 at 08:49. Reason: No personal attacks or rude posts please
Old 30th July 2018, 12:08   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
Bottas didn't get a penalty for the incident with Vettel, which Vettel himself said it's a racing incident. But Bottas did get a 10sec penalty for the incident with Ricciardo and 2 points on his license.

Even if Vettel came out in front of Bottas during the pitstop, as Vettel said he would no way have passed Lewis who was on a much fresher tires compared to Bottas.
"Vettel said it's a racing incident" - That's right Vettel is mature enough to understand that mistakes happen. Had it been Steward's pet, he would have said "Vettel tried to take him out".

I didn't see a comment from Vettel that he wouldn't have been able to pass Lewis even if he came out ahead of Bottas. You never know till it happens in reality. And the reality was "His Wingman" had him covered at all times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Ha ha!
You will be shocked to know that nobody cares!!
Team orders are nothing new, and always favor the one who is more likely to bring the title home.

Hamilton won by a more than fair margin, that's all that there is in the result.

Merc lost the chance to get 8 extra constructors points, just because they wanted their "Blue Eyed Boy" to win.

Last edited by GTO : 31st July 2018 at 08:48. Reason: Do NOT post in a rude manner on Team-BHP. Keep it polite & civil, even in debate
Old 30th July 2018, 12:24   #34
Senior - BHPian

Makes sense to have team orders, right?
But for sure, Mercedes know they have lot of work to do. They can't have the sacrificial lamb in the right place for every race. It worked since it was Hungary, it will be hard to pull this one off in any of the upcoming races.

Quote:

Last edited by GTO : 31st July 2018 at 08:49. Reason: Removing part of quoted post which has been deleted
anachronix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 12:47   #35
Senior - BHPian

While Alonso's rants on radio used to be entertaining, I'm beginning to view them as unprofessional. Especially his recent rant during qualifying in Hungary.

His engineer is asking him if they should stay on inters or go on to the wets. Instead of answering a person who is doing is best to help him, he goes on a full rant about how slow the car is.

I understand his frustration being in a slow car. But I also feel he needs to be empathetic to the people in the factory who are working as hard as they can on the car - such rants can be really demoralizing.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 13:44   #36
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarirules View Post

I didn't see a comment from Vettel that he wouldn't have been able to pass Lewis even if he came out ahead of Bottas. You never know till it happens in reality. And the reality was "His Wingman" had him covered at all times.
Vettel said that in the post race drivers press conference.

Vettel

Quote:
But then, as it turned out, with the circumstances and so on, we obviously lost out and we came out behind(Bottas). Surely, that didn’t help. I think without that it would have been a much more relaxed last part of the race, probably hunting down Lewis, but with the gap that he had, I think it would have been difficult to catch – and then it’s a completely different story, especially around here to overtake. So I think we could have done the catching bit but not really the overtake, so, in the end it doesn’t change much to the final result. Just that it was a bit more work than coming out ahead

Last edited by aim120 : 30th July 2018 at 13:51.
Old 30th July 2018, 13:44   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post

IMO Ferrari should have prioritized track position over tyre life. Besides, if Vettel had come out in front of Bottas, Silver Arrows would have pit him to cover Kimi.

What I think is, first lap swap of positions between Kimi and Vettel didn't help their chances. If Kimi was third I believe he (on ultrasofts) would have had better chance of putting pressure on Bottas or undercutting Bottas in the pits. With Vettel in between, it was too much of a gap to Bottas for Kimi to recover just in pit stop.

However, Ferrari did get their strategy with Kimi right when they put him on another set of Softs. Intention was clear - they wanted to kill two birds - take P2 away from Bottas and have a shot at attacking Hamilton. Obviously Vettel's stop next didn't go as planned and he was forced to overtake Bottas on track and lost the chance of attacking Hamilton.

Once Mercedes decided to go long with Bottas by not covering Kimi, it was clear that their priority was to prevent Vettel from attacking Hamilton at whatever cost it came at.

If Vettel's pit stop had gone fine he would have come out ahead of Bottas and could have put pressure on Hamilton with a gap of 8 seconds between Hamilton and Vettel. That's something we will never know, but I would assume at least the gap would have reduced to an extent.
SilentEngine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 14:35   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
Vettel said that in the post race drivers press conference.

Vettel
I missed this bit. According to me, this is a driver being modest and not boasting on hindsight. Rather saying that he would have done better if he had the chance.

Last edited by GTO : 31st July 2018 at 08:50. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Old 30th July 2018, 15:32   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post

However, Ferrari did get their strategy with Kimi right when they put him on another set of Softs. Intention was clear - they wanted to kill two birds - take P2 away from Bottas and have a shot at attacking Hamilton. Obviously Vettel's stop next didn't go as planned and he was forced to overtake Bottas on track and lost the chance of attacking Hamilton.

Once Mercedes decided to go long with Bottas by not covering Kimi, it was clear that their priority was to prevent Vettel from attacking Hamilton at whatever cost it came at.
Yup. I agree. I don't think Ferrari strategy was flawed. They just had the botched up pitstop with Vettel that got him out behind Bottas.

Mercedes then decided to sacrifice Bottas so Lewis would be comfortable and remove any chance of Vettel to catch up with him on Ultra soft tyres.

Bottas had pitted on lap 16, so there was no question of him being on single stop strategy. This was just decided later on to keep Vettel at bay and use Bottas as a moving roadblock.

Bottas did his job and surprisingly the tyres lasted 54 laps!! Which is insane for a so called "soft" tyre. Ofcourse last 5 laps they were shot.

Had Bottas pitted by lap 40-45 he would have had a better chance at the podium and would be along Kimi.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 15:33   #40
Team-BHP Support

The win wasn't realistically on, not with the kind of performance delta Ferrari/Merc have. Ferrari have an alleged straight-line advantage of about 0.5-0.6 seconds which would make a huge difference at somewhere like Spa or Monza but was nowhere near enough in Hungary with the T1/T2 section the only practical overtaking spot.

Merc had terrific traction even on old tires - look at Bottas' onboard with Vettel chasing, he was always able to put down power without sliding through S3 - and Ferrari could never get on the lead car's gearbox through the last couple turns to attempt a lunge at T1 even with DRS. Hot temps and tire degradation meant Vettel wouldn't be able to sustain a challenge for too many laps without completely destroying his Ultrasofts. He had to back off Bottas for a few laps because his rear-left started blistering. Wouldn't have gone any different with the other Merc ahead of him.

Vettel may or may not have caught up with Hamilton if he wasn't stuck behind Bottas, but a pass was probably nothing more than a remote theoretical possibility even if he got within range. I'd take his word for it, that's what the data suggests anyway, daydreams of wheel-to-wheel battles notwithstanding.

Ferrari's only chances of winning yesterday was jumping at least one Merc at the start and force them to split tire strategies, or rain mixing things up. Neither happened, ergo no victory.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 30th July 2018 at 15:36.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 17:20   #41
Senior - BHPian

That was a dominant drive by Lewis. Had his head down from the start and never had to turn back. Hungary is notably famous for not allowing much overtaking. The dirty air that the Mercedez was leaving behind just made it impossible for Ferrari to catch up. I guess the main straight probably had to be a km or two longer.

It was quite a stupid move by Toto Wolff to be calling Bottas a 'Wingman'. It doesn't seem to have gone down well with the Finn. Im seeing cracks already. Mercedez will have to workout a win for him before the grapes start turning sour.
Fullrevs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 18:30   #42
Senior - BHPian

Ricciardo was the driver of the day for me. Started 12th, got squeezed and bumped right at the start that dropped him to 16th and then worked his butt off rest of the race, only to get skewered by Bottas in the last lap. He managed to end the race 4th. If only Max's car had not failed, it would have been an even more interesting race.

Also, Kimi drove the whole race with his drink pipe disconnected. That must have been one thirsty Finn by the end of the race!

Force India seems to be slipping further and further back. Hopefully things will only improve from here on.

Also, interesting that Vettel (maybe we should call him Road Rage Hero if we are going to refer to Hamilton as Steward's Pet) failed to cleanly overtake a car that was not from the middle or lower level. Yeah Bottas botched up his braking point too but you would expect a 4 times world champion to look in his mirrors a bit more often!
amitoj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 19:50   #43
Team-BHP Support

Toto has now made two blunders in two races.

First in Germany accusing Ferrari of playing bumper cars, then calling Bottas a 'wingman' yesterday (stating the obvious isn't necessarily a good thing), in a season where they probably have a car deficit for the first time under current regs, and need the 'wingman' to take points off the Ferraris, esp. with Kimi hitting form.

He never struck me as a very bright person to begin with, but I thought he was smart enough not to hack his own legs off like that.
Old 31st July 2018, 07:48   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Toto has now made two blunders in two races.

First in Germany accusing Ferrari of playing bumper cars, then calling Bottas a 'wingman' yesterday (stating the obvious isn't necessarily a good thing), in a season where they probably have a car deficit for the first time under current regs, and need the 'wingman' to take points off the Ferraris, esp. with Kimi hitting form.

He never struck me as a very bright person to begin with, but I thought he was smart enough not to hack his own legs off like that.
Three!

He started with saying that team orders in Austrian GP would be "brutal" (https://www.gpfans.com/en/articles/1...e-been-brutal/). In the coming races, he was quite happy to implement team orders, albeit non-brutal ones else it would be hypocrisy!

Quote:
maybe we should call him Road Rage Hero
For one incident that happened last year? For which he was penalized? Sure,
Old 31st July 2018, 08:51   #45
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Some posts have been deleted. Please keep it civil & respectful, even in debate. Thanks!
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks