Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2018, 20:39   #1
BHPian

End of an era: Fernando Alonso to retire from F1

Fernando Alonso announces that he will not be racing in Formula 1 for the 2019 season. A decision that was, quite frankly, expected.
esoticoreventon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 21:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Formula 1 - The 2019 Silly Season

Sad day for F1. Hope he finds happiness in Indy Car. Will certainly miss him.

Thats why they McLaren were 'shopping' so aggressively. He had informed them a while ago.

Last edited by Hatari : 14th August 2018 at 21:06.
Hatari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 21:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

One veteran down, let's see what Kimi does. This will probably give Vandroone some breathing space. If he performs well in second half, maybe he can keep the seat.
fz_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 22:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

Not an exciting way to end your F1 career! Probably one of the best drivers ever! Race craft was second only to Schumi and Senna! Calculative, and knew what he was doing in the track. But his years in F1 were surrounded by controversies, from McLaren 2007, to the Crashgate in Singapore and also the way he departed from Ferrari. And the final nail in the coffin was the tumultuous years he spent in the McLaren!
He was a driver who should have won more championships. Would have loved to see a straight battle between him, Lewis and Seb. Would have been Epic!
motorworks is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 22:22   #5
BHPian

Sad to see Fernando leaving F1. Link for detailed statement - https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/h...d-of-2018.html
From silly season perspective, it is getting interesting and interesting. First Riccardo, then Strolls buying Force India and now Alonso moving on. Seats at all teams are open except Merc.
ferrarirules is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 22:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

I don't think Alonso had any choice, he had to move on. The Mclaren was not going to get competitive in a hurry and the top three would not take him.

He has only himself to blame for his position, wrong decisions along the way and a bad attitude.

Cheers

Last edited by ajmat : 15th August 2018 at 09:15. Reason: typo
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2018, 08:41   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: End of an era: Fernando Alonso to retire from F1

Damn, the end of an era. This is the man who beat Michael Schumacher at the peak of his career....TWICE. But too many wrong team choices after his championships. I guess bad luck, bad choices & bad timing.

On the other hand, guys like Lewis & Kimi always find themselves in the right car at the right time .

I really respect his driving ability, but never liked his attitude (which is why I never even came close to becoming an Alonso fan).
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th August 2018, 11:53   #8
BHPian

Whilst I gained senses around the time Schumi was rioting, I developed the interest to actually watch the laps and understand the mechanics behind it during Alonso's time.

His disappointment with the current team was pretty evident in the Team Radios and leaving now actually makes sense for him. But honestly, I was wishing RedBull would give him a chance in the F1 2019, a possible miraculous tie-up for both parties.

Source for below image : reddit.com/r/formula1
Attached Thumbnails
End of an era: Fernando Alonso to retire from F1-whatsapp-image-20180814-10.35.07-pm.jpeg  

sharktale is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2018, 11:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

Not surprised by this, his only option was to continue in McLaren.
However good the driver he was, his biggest undoing was his attitude and it reflected in the choices he made and the results that followed. Won't be surprised if McLaren get back to podiums next year once he leaves! Not his fan, but he sure was a fierce competitor.
SilentEngine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2018, 15:08   #10
BHPian

I feel it is a good decision from Alonso, considering his struggles in the past years with Mclaren and lack of opportunities with other competitors.

He is still not out of it completely.
Quote:
“Let’s see what the future brings; new exciting challenges are around the corner. I’m having one of the happiest times ever in my life but I need to go on exploring new adventures.

“I want to thank everyone at McLaren. My heart is with the team forever. I know they will come back stronger and better in the future and it could be the right moment for me to be back in the series; that would make me really happy.”
Makin Rulesz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2018, 15:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makin Rulesz View Post
He is still not out of it completely.
I don't think he will be back as both parties (Mclaren and Alonso) speaking good of each other is just PR talk in my opinion. They don't want to wash any more dirty linen in public than what has already been done.

Behind the scenes I feel Mclaren must be pretty fed up of his drama and the insulting unnessary statements he was making. Plus, the kind of money they are paying him would be better utilized in car development.

Cheers

Last edited by manson : 28th December 2018 at 03:59. Reason: Typo.
Cyborg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th August 2018, 17:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

Biggest regret will be not seeing the best racing car driver world in the fastest car, he's never had that.

Frankly, I don't see McLaren returning to the top. They don't have the resources to fight at that level anymore.
Old 15th August 2018, 19:33   #13
BHPian

Alonso could have been one of the greats. However career choices and luck made him a good racer, but nevertheless a multi millionaire! Can compare him to Andy Murray or Roddick.
avdhesh15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2018, 20:49   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
Alonso could have been one of the greats. However career choices and luck made him a good racer, but nevertheless a multi millionaire! Can compare him to Andy Murray or Roddick.
Nice piece.

SYMONDS: AS DRIVERS ALONSO AND SCHUMACHER WERE SIMILAR
https://www.grandprix247.com/2018/08...-were-similar/

Michael was much better with people.

Last edited by Hatari : 15th August 2018 at 20:51.
Old 16th August 2018, 08:10   #15
BHPian

A very sad day indeed. This decision was looming but i was seriously hoping and praying he would continue his stay in F1. I started watching F1 when he started at Minardi and have been following F1 & Alonso since then and became a big time fan of Nando. I rooted for him every race till now. Agreed, he has had his fair share of controversies due to his character and fiery nature, but he is champion material. His track record over his teammates is mind-blowing. I starting watching F1 mostly because of him and looks like my interest in watching F1 might fade away soon.
Best of luck Nando in Indycar or whatever you do. You Rock!!!
abhi3284 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks