Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2018, 13:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

Force India gets new name; will be considered as a new team

FIA has approved Racing Point UK Limited as the new owners of the Force India F1 team. Racing Point UK Limited is a consortium of investors including Canadian entrepreneur Andre Desmarais, Jonathan Dudman of Monaco Sports and Management, fashion business leader John Idol, telecommunications investor John McCaw Jr, financial expert Michael de Picciotto, businessman Lawrence Stroll and his business partner Silas Chou.

Apart from the name change to Racing Point Force India F1, a few changes to the team have also been made. The team has appointed Otmar Szafnauer as Team Principal and CEO with immediate effect. He served as the team's COO since 2010. Robert Fernley, the deputy Team Principal has stepped down from his role. There are no other changes to the management.

The team will be registered as a new entity for the 2018 season and will lose the earlier points scored as Sahara Force India. However, the drivers – Esteban Ocon and Sergio Perez are expected to retain their individual points in the driver’s standings.

Force India gets new name; will be considered as a new team-jm1828jy30.jpg

Link to the Team-BHP News

Last edited by blackwasp : 24th August 2018 at 13:03.
blackwasp is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 22:50   #2
BHPian

Re: Force India gets new name; will be considered as a new team

Personally for me after the change the Indian connect is gone forever. Henceforth, I will now see this team as any other without any patriotic feelings whatsoever. Slightly disappointed that none of the major Indian conglomerates or auto companies stepped in to salvage the team although it does require a fair bit of investment.
Old 25th August 2018, 12:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

There must be some sort of relief for Senior Stroll, on receiving 50 million of accumulated prize money. I guess that prize money was already utilised for payment to Mercedes,etc since the whole venture was cash strapped. All the teams came to agreement that the prize money be granted.
This is significant, because they will starting from zero this weekend and realistically reach P9 in constructors championship. At the very best it will be P8 which looks tough at the point. They're already losing prize money this season. Add to that the accumulated prize money will be paid in 2020.
fz_rider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2018, 23:13   #4
Team-BHP Support

Frankly Sergio Perez needs to be rewarded for

1: Filing for administration and avoiding a team shutdown

2: Setting a brilliant pace at Spa along with Ocon - showing the new owners what the team can do with limited resources. Shame, Stroll will replace one of the drivers with his son though.
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th August 2018, 12:24   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehighwayman View Post
Personally for me after the change the Indian connect is gone forever. Henceforth, I will now see this team as any other without any patriotic feelings whatsoever.
I'm very, very patriotic, but never felt anything special for Force India as other than the name, what really was 'Indian' about it? Not the drivers, not the car, nor any team members.

Can't really say much about the Indian owners either. One ran away to UK, while the other is cooling his heels in jail.

That said, Force India gets my respect for what they have achieved on track. The team is clearly punching above its weight!
Old 2nd December 2018, 08:29   #6
Team-BHP Support

The team gets a new name; drops the reference to India/Indian owner.

Quote:
The Force India name will disappear from Formula 1 next year with the team being renamed Racing Point F1.

Following the takeover of the outfit by a consortium led by Lawrence Stroll, it retained its Force India moniker for its team and chassis.

However in the official 2019 F1 entry list that was published by the FIA on Friday night, it was confirmed the Silverstone-based squad would be fully rebranded.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14...india-revealed

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks