Formula 1: The 2018 Italian Grand Prix-track-layout.jpg

Track Information
Formula 1: The 2018 Italian Grand Prix-track-information.jpg

Timings
Formula 1: The 2018 Italian Grand Prix-timinig.jpg

Tyre Selection
Formula 1: The 2018 Italian Grand Prix-tyre.jpg

Additional Information

Formula1 reaches Italy. The home grand prix for Ferrari. Since 2014 first time, it seems Ferrari will be able to challenge Mercedes dominance in Monza. Ferrari pace at SPA was a representative of that.

Being back to back weekend race, there will be no major upgrades to the cars due to lack of time. So lets see which team is able to extract the best out of its package and come out on the top at the Italian grand prix.

For further information -https://www.formula1.com/en/championship/races/2018/Italy.html

Race and all other sessions would be telecast on Star Sport Select 2 HD/Star Sport Select 2

Image Credits - Motorsport.com/ LAT Images, Pirelli and Formula1.com
ferrarirules is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st August 2018, 12:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Formula 1: The 2018 Italian Grand Prix

Really hoping for a Ferrari 1-2 this week. It will also put a strong dent in Hamilton's championship lead which is at 17 points right now. A Vettal-Kimi 1-2 and LH 3rd will cut that down to 10 points with 8 races remaining.

Kimi has been stringing together good performances lately and Vettel showed a lot of intent at Spa. Hope they are able to carry the momentum and break the stranglehold the Silver Arrows have had at Monza.

What a sight that would be: A Ferrari driver atop the podium at Monza!

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 31st August 2018 at 12:54.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2018, 21:35   #3
BHPian

Monza I believe has one of the longest runs from the start line to a really slow turn 1 and has another fast section before turn 2. I believe qualifying will be very important for getting away unscathed from an almost assured chaotic turn 1. I hope Kimi and Vettel are occupy the first 2 rows on the grid and make a clean start. With the straight line speed of the red cars, it should be fairly easy getting past lewis if he does manage to out-qualify the red cars. After that it should be fairly straight forward. Use Kimi to block Lewis and let Vettel build a decent lead and then force Mercedes into an early stop by getting Kimi to undercut Lewis.
Old 1st September 2018, 08:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

There was a nasty accident for Ericsson in FP2 in the Alfa Romeo.

He walked out from the car and the Tifosi gave him a standing ovation!

And the following is a comment I saw on YouTube.

Quote:
Football players roll around making crying face expressions when pushed over on grass. Marcus gets out and waves. Love F1.
How true!

Hope the team can fix the DRS issues soon! Alfa Romeo got to bag points at Monza!

In other news, the Maranello boys are 1 - 2. It will be really something to cherish if the boys can do that tomorrow as well.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2018, 13:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

I curious to know why Vettel opted for two sets of Medium tyres and only one set of Softs. Even Kimi went for two Softs and one Medium.

Last year's strategy was Super Soft > Soft. (Source). Wouldn't it be ideal to do at least one run on the Soft tyres in FP3 before using it for the race? Or will they use data from Kimi's car and extrapolate it for Seb?

That said, Accuweather says it is raining at Monza right now. But predicts clear skies from 10am onwards. If it does rain, I think it would be advantage Mercedes during qualifying.
Old 1st September 2018, 16:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

Results of FP3.

Reigning World Champion splits the Ferraris. With Vettel top by 0.08s. Bottas is almost 0.5s down on his fellow Finn.

Formula 1: The 2018 Italian Grand Prix-capture.jpg

Hope Kimi's mechanics get their act together and ensure he is equipped to take on the Mercedes during Qualifying. Would be joyous to have a Ferrari front-row tomorrow.

If you're wondering, yes, I am a Ferrari fan :P
Old 1st September 2018, 17:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

Formula 1: The 2018 Italian Grand Prix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
I curious to know why Vettel opted for two sets of Medium tyres and only one set of Softs. Even Kimi went for two Softs and one Medium.

Last year's strategy was Super Soft > Soft. (Source). Wouldn't it be ideal to do at least one run on the Soft tyres in FP3 before using it for the race? Or will they use data from Kimi's car and extrapolate it for Seb?

That said, Accuweather says it is raining at Monza right now. But predicts clear skies from 10am onwards. If it does rain, I think it would be advantage Mercedes during qualifying.

Yes, the forecast is for rain during qualifying. And that could put Ferrari on the back foot. Somehow I think Seb is under tremendous pressure this year. He knows the car is good, can win championships. But he made a few mistakes, notably the one in Germany during rain and I think that has made him more cautious than aggressive in the rain. He also understands that this is best chance to win in a Ferrari and I feel he is holding back just a little.

Hamilton on the other hand has nothing to lose. If he wins, then its a 5th title, and if he loses he is always going to say that the Ferrari was faster.

And just when it seems like Ferrari is dominating, rain seems to upset that just a little bit.

Kind of hoping that Ferrari wins in Monza, its been nearly 8 years now! And if Seb wins it will ease some pressure of off him.
Old 1st September 2018, 19:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

Yes!

Ferrari locks out the front row in a dramatic Q3.

P1: Kimi
P2: Vettel
P3: Lewis
P4: Bottas

Montoya's record of the fastest lap in F1 history was broken 6 times in 5 minutes!

Video of the old record:
ashwin.terminat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2018, 19:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

Ferrari P1-P2 at Monza ! This can't get better. The old man recorded fastest lap in F1 history, AVG. Speed more than 163 mph.
P1 Kimi
P2 Seb
P3 Lewis
Q3 was crazy, fast laps after fast laps after fast laps.
It took 14 years to beat the Montoya record.

Another interesting note, apart from McLaren and Sauber, every team had representation in Q3.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 2nd September 2018 at 10:33. Reason: Typo.
fz_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2018, 19:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

Come on! Forza Ferrari! Front row lock out in Monza after 18 years!

Kimi could not have chosen a better place to grab pole!

Hope they finish 1 and 2 tomorrow!
Old 1st September 2018, 19:52   #11
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Kimi deserved the pole and hope he can win tomorrow and hope Ferrari doesn't give team orders.

The gap between Hamilton and Bottas is huge. I bet if Rosberg was there it would have been close.

Poor Perez, Force India screwed up big time.
Old 1st September 2018, 20:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

Great lap from Kimi to beat Vettel and Hamilton. Top 3 were incredibly close throughout the qualifying.

Start will be crucial tomorrow. Will Vettel try to take the lead from Kimi? Can Hamilton jump Vettel? More importantly, if Kimi stays ahead i hope team doesn't engineer something to make Vettel win.
Old 1st September 2018, 22:08   #13
BHPian

Iceman clinches the pole in dramatic fashion and what a sight at Monza beating a 14-year old lap record, lap after lap for 6 times.

So, I think the power units of current turbo era has reached the peak level of V10 era, since this is the most power hungry circuit in the calendar.

Hope Ferrari let the drivers "race" tomorrow and the Iceman wins a race this year, tomorrow.

Qualifying results:

Formula 1: The 2018 Italian Grand Prix-italy_2018_qualifying.png
Old 1st September 2018, 22:38   #14
BHPian

What's the point of the Ferrari guys racing each other? Kimi is not in contention for the WDC. It's better if he supports Vettel.
Old 2nd September 2018, 04:49   #15
BHPian

There is something weird going on in F1. I noticed it for the first time today, and it is very strange to see a few things:

1. There was no happiness shown in the Ferrari camp of having locked out the front row. It seemed as if they were unhappy that Kimi came out P1, ahead of Seb. Did you hear Kimi's radio? "Kimi we have pole", as if "Kimi, we have liver for lunch". Jesus. Give it some emotion, man. Seems as if the team would rather have Kimi 3rd than 1st.
2. Kimi's wife wept.
3. Every question asked to Kimi was about his future, his age, retirement, and with Seb and Hamilton it was about the race, the conditions, and being at Monza.
4. It was as if Kimi wanted to give the ultimate "screw you" to Ferrari, having secured pole in their home GP, ahead of Seb, for maybe being sort of neglected?

I don't see Kimi coming back for another season, atleast with Ferrari. Or maybe I'm just reading too much into it, and this is just in my head.

As with no team orders and the race, don't be naive. Kimi has no chance at the championship. Ferrari will try everything short of stopping Kimi to make sure Seb wins the race.
ach1lles is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks