Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2018, 10:30   #1
Senior - BHPian

Formula 1: Vietnam to host F1 race from 2020

Formula 1 and the City of Hanoi today announce that a Grand Prix will be held in the Vietnamese capital from April 2020.

Quote:
As the first new race to be announced under Liberty Media’s ownership, the Vietnamese Grand Prix represents Formula 1’s firm commitment to the Asia region where races are already well established in Singapore, China and Japan.
Quote:
Hanoi promoter, Vingroup, has signed a multi-year deal to host the Grand Prix, which will begin as a thrilling street race in the heart of the city.

Working in close collaboration with the City of Hanoi authorities, the Promoter and Formula 1 Motorsport department, the 5.565km track will deliver an exciting racing experience for the drivers as well as the fans.
News Source.
SJM1214 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 13:16   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Formula 1: Vietnam to host F1 race from 2020

If I were Vietnamese, I'd be cautiously optimistic about this.

Global events of this nature require tremendous investments in terms of infrastructure (land, construction, hotels and so on). And more often than not, especially in developing countries, they end up being a big drain on the economy rather than a sustainable source of revenue (tourism/event costs). The Chinese and Brazilian stadiums after the respective Olympics/Football World Cup being a prime example.

They say this is a city street race so perhaps costs won't be as high but Vietnam will have to spend a big amount. F1 tickets aren't exactly cheap either.

Coming back to the sport, let's see how this materializes and how the drivers react to this. It's become a crowded calendar and if the Miami GP shapes up too, drivers won't be very pleased.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 21:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

I am glad that one more asian GP is added to the calendar, but I am not too excited about the track design though. The two long straights are too unimaginative.
Attached Thumbnails
Formula 1: Vietnam to host F1 race from 2020-yuvbcshaotr5trrmkgue.jpg  

Last edited by F150 : 8th November 2018 at 21:47.
F150 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th November 2018, 12:10   #4
BANNED

We lost ours since the Buddh race, despite it being a good circuit. Was not supported by the state. As a result, we can say that the race was 'taxed' out. I pray that one day we get our F1 back, but see no scope in the near future.

Last edited by GTO : 10th November 2018 at 13:11. Reason: typos
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2018, 11:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

Exploring Vietnam Street Circuit

RM Motorsports is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2018, 13:16   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Formula 1: Vietnam to host F1 race from 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
I am not too excited about the track design though. The two long straights are too unimaginative.
That's what you get when all new tracks are designed by the same person - Hermann Tilke. Even Formula1.com refers to him as "ubiquitous".

I'm happy for Vietnam, but feel a bit sad that a sexy F1 track like the Buddh has lost its glory days. Today, it's used merely for corporate events, manufacturer days and so on. Sure doesn't help that Jaypee are in deep trouble too. The only other F1 fan who had the money + connections to make it happen in India is absconding in the UK (Mallya).
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2018, 15:38   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'm happy for Vietnam, but feel a bit sad that a sexy F1 track like the Buddh has lost its glory days. Today, it's used merely for corporate events, manufacturer days and so on. Sure doesn't help that Jaypee are in deep trouble too. The only other F1 fan who had the money + connections to make it happen in India is absconding in the UK (Mallya).
My opinion as well. I do not think supporting a F1 track is in the DNA of Mallya. Not enough show off, unless the track can be renamed as Kingfisher or Mallya. In our case the track lost it since I hear the duty deposits were being returned after about six months.Also, GoI decided that F1 was too elite to be supported. I am sure if the refund came through in less than two months then the Indian GP will still be going. If they had state support then duty deposits would not have been required. In our babudom time is timeless (Samay anadi anant hota hai). We would not know if some 'grease' was also expected or demanded.

Last edited by sgiitk : 10th November 2018 at 15:40.
Old 11th November 2018, 12:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

Its nothing short of disaster in waiting. Vietnam does not have the economic ability to sustain F1 like Singapore or Azerbaijan. And plus the sport is not really something very big in that region. Even China and South Korea failed to draw big crowds.

I feel this is just plain stupid from Liberty. They need to go after new markets, but Vietnam is not one!

And the people of Vietnam could be the ones shortchanged. They do not enjoy the sport and they do not need this. Money is better spent elsewhere in a country like Vietnam.

And the proposed track, less said about it the better. Nothing remotely exciting at all. And it would require huge effort to get it ready by 2020, considering Vietnam has no record of big infrastructure backing or speed of projects like in China.

Agree Europe economy is not in the best shape, but They should have rather added one in the Middle East or the U.S where there is ample money and also the ability to draw crowds.
Old 13th November 2018, 12:01   #9
BHPian

I still don't understand this obsession with Street Circuits where the overtaking is nigh impossible. When we already have Monaco, Singapore, Baku city circuits what is the need to add one more street circuit which makes the race a procession and everything depends on the qualifying slot.
Old 13th November 2018, 17:42   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
I still don't understand this obsession with Street Circuits where the overtaking is nigh impossible. When we already have Monaco, Singapore, Baku city circuits what is the need to add one more street circuit which makes the race a procession and everything depends on the qualifying slot.
Money, coolguy, money and lots of it

Its a business decision by Liberty and bragging rights, to go where no man has gone before

Cheers

Most Viewed