Team-BHP - F1 introduces 1 point for fastest lap in 2019
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Int'l Motorsport (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intl-motorsport/)
-   -   F1 introduces 1 point for fastest lap in 2019 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intl-motorsport/207480-f1-introduces-1-point-fastest-lap-2019-a.html)

The FIA World Motorsport Council has approved an extra championship point for the fastest lap of an F1 Grand Prix. The move received an approval from the Formula 1 commission and will be applicable from the season opener in Australia this weekend.

A driver clocking the fastest lap is expected to be awarded an extra point only if he finishes the race in the first 10 positions. The final approval will be passed by an e-vote of the Formula 1 commission before the first race of the season. Further, if a driver outside the points position gets the fastest lap, he could prevent it from going to one of the drivers finishing in the first 10 places.

From 1950 to 1959, Formula 1 awarded one point to the racer with the fastest lap. The extra point has made a difference before. In 1958, Mike Hawthorn won the championship by just 1 point. In 2008, Felipe Massa would have beaten Lewis Hamilton had such a rule been in force. It is the only instance since 2000 wherein such a rule could have changed the outcome of the world championship.

F1 introduces 1 point for fastest lap in 2019-dzsimygxgae0dcw.jpeg

Link to the Team-BHP News

Wow. Liberty media is desperate for some spectacle.

I believe 1 point with current point system is just a gimmick. It should be substantial enough to make a difference in the world championship results. With current 21 race calendar, the total impact is mere 21 points which is less than a race win. In earlier point system (10 points to the winner), 21 points could have meant difference of more than 2 race wins.

So even if they want to introduce this, the points awarded should be higher. Otherwise this would be similar to double points in the last race done a few years back - will come in a year and then go

I think this is a very bad idea. By the basic law of averages, the most likely people to set the fastest lap are the quickest drivers , who will mostly wind up on the podium. This will only increase the lead of the top 3 to 5 drivers away from the rest of the field. The odds of someone say finishing 7th in the race setting the fastest lap is more rare than somebody on the podium :Frustrati

While the idea is to make it interesting towards the end and provide opportunity for someone in lower positions to sneak in a point, I think this will mostly be used by the top 3 teams to get that extra point. Given the gap between top 3 cars and the rest, where usually the gap at the end is enough to have an extra pit stop without losing track position, we can expect to see drivers in P5/P6 coming in for fresh rubber towards the end.

Drivers running outside of top 10 towards the end with no realistic chance of finishing in top 10 are also likely to try for fastest lap, but won't get any point for the effort.

Results of Fastest Lap points added to the 2018 Drivers Championship. Nothing too dramatic here. I have taken into account the top-10 finish requirement as well.

F1 introduces 1 point for fastest lap in 2019-capture2.jpg

The only change is Bottas would have finished third. Raikkonen and Verstappen would have finished one place lower as well. The extra point will only make a different if the points scored delta between positions isn't as high as it is now.

The way I see it, drivers having a comfortable lead, especially if being followed by their own team-mates, tend to be fast and safe rather than being outright fast like say during the qualifying. They already have the best car, so doesn't really take much effort to maintain the lead during a race.

This could change that equation a bit and keep them on the edge. An extra point never hurt anybody. And having the fastest lap is also a bit about pride. Why not an extra point there then:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivekz (Post 4557977)
It should be substantial enough to make a difference in the world championship results. With current 21 race calendar, the total impact is mere 21 points which is less than a race win.

Considering that some championships have been won / lost for <10 points, I'd say 21 points is a lot.

I think this move will add a small bit of spice to races. But if Liberty Media really wants to cook things up & make it HOT, they must bring back fuel pitstops.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4558524)

But if Liberty Media really wants to cook things up & make it HOT, they must bring back fuel pitstops.

This I agree to. Used to add a lot of mix in the results. Also I still miss the 12 lap qualifying session of late 90s - again used to throw some surprising results more often than not.

Good idea. It will add more competitiveness. Also, may be fewer pedestrian laps at the end.

Towards the end the cars are the lightest, so in principle can go faster.