Team-BHP - Charlie Whiting, F1 race director for over 22 years passes away
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Int'l Motorsport (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intl-motorsport/)
-   -   Charlie Whiting, F1 race director for over 22 years passes away (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intl-motorsport/207548-charlie-whiting-f1-race-director-over-22-years-passes-away.html)

Just days before the start of the 2019 F1 Season, long time F1 Race Director Charlie Whiting passes away at the age of 66.
Whiting’s role as race director with the FIA since 1997 has included overseeing track and race car safety, as well as technical and procedural matters during grand prix weekends. He is most often associated with the procedure to start the grand prix itself.

Charlie Whiting, Formula One Race Director, Dies At 66

RIP Charlie!!!
He was all of that and more!

During the three India F1s I was fortunate enough to interact with him and though very briefly, I always cherished those moments and shall continue to do so.

Regards

Ram

Quote:

Originally Posted by r_nairtvm (Post 4559915)
RIP Charlie!!!
  • People who have interacted with him will remember him as a great human being who always had an ear for what even the lowest ranking person in his team had to say
  • Those who have seen him in action inside F1 Race Control will remember him as the coolest Race Director they have ever seen anywhere
  • A lot of people who were mentored by him will remember him as the best teacher ever willing to impart F1 Knowledge he had accumulated over 4 decades
  • The Race Drivers will always remember him as "their man" who was always willing to give the benefit of the doubt to them but having no lee-way for willful negligence or rank foolishness.
He was all of that and more!

During the three India F1s I was fortunate enough to interact with him and though very briefly, I always cherished those moments and shall continue to do so.

Regards

Ram

It certainly helped he came up the ranks as a mechanic, staring in F1 at Hesketh Racing and then with Bernie Eccelstone's Brabham outfit where he rose to chief mechanic during Nelson Piquet's championship years. It would certainly given him a perspective and an empathy for both sides. It takes a rare breed to be unsullied by the politics in F1 and I can't ever remember an incident where he was accused of partiality. Even with outbursts and abuse from drivers like Verstappen and Vettel last season he never seemed to make it an ego trip.

He leaves big boots for his successor to fill whoever that might be. RIP.

Drive on,
Shibu

Rest in peace, Charlie! It was really weird to watch the GP last weekend knowing Charlie wasn't overseeing the latest outing of the circus.

Nobody is indispensable. But Liberty is going to need many people to somewhat fill Charlie's big shoes of responsibility throughout the season!

Here is a brilliant tribute to the great man from someone who knew him up close. A life lived in service to F1: Thank you and farewell to Charlie Whiting