Team-BHP - 2020 Dakar Rally to be held in Saudi Arabia
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Int'l Motorsport (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intl-motorsport/)
-   -   2020 Dakar Rally to be held in Saudi Arabia (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intl-motorsport/208814-2020-dakar-rally-held-saudi-arabia.html)

The route for the 2020 Dakar Rally, the first edition of the rally-raid to be held in Saudi Arabia, has been revealed.

The event will commence on January 5 in Jeddah, the second-largest city in the country that is located on the west coast, before concluding on January 17 in Al-Qiddiya after 12 stages and over 9,000km (5592.34 miles) of running.

Official Teaser - Dakar 2020

The 42nd edition of the cross country marathon begins a new era with the rally now based in the deserts, canyons and mountain regions of Saudi Arabia. The event gains its name from its traditional Paris-to-Dakar route first used in 1979 and retained the title after moving to South America from 2009.

Saudi Arabia promises a demanding event with 5097km of special stages included in a total route of 7856km. There are 12 stages in the January 5 to 17 rally, with an estimated 75 per cent running in sand dunes.

The rally starts from the ancient Red Sea port of Jeddah and runs for six days to the traditional mid-rally rest day in Riyadh on January 11. The second half of the event loops south of the country to finish in the new resort city of Qiddiyah on January 17.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeKAFd3v6AU

Tragic news from Dakar 2020 as Hero Motorsports' Portuguese veteran rally rider Paulo Goncalves has succumbed to the injuries he sustained in a fall today.

Dakar 2020

Quote:

The 40-year-old suffered a crash 276km into today’s stage. The organisers received an alert at 10:08am SAST and dispatched a medical helicopter, which reached the scene at 10:16am to find the rider unconscious after going into cardiac arrest. Gonçalves was then flown to Layla Hospital, where he was unfortunately pronounced dead.

Usually I simply read about the Dakar in the papers now and then. But this year I dutifully followed each days update on the you tube highlights.

I was most interested in the car/ssv category and especially curious to figure out how Alonso would do? Quite well in the end to finish at 13th which my have been higher had he not had that roll at one of the stages.

Tragic that Paulo Goncalves lost his life. But reading up on the history of the Dakar I learnt that the man who started the rally Thierry Sabine also passed away in one of the Dakar rallies. These men would not be disappointed. Such is their passion for the sport.

Across F1, Rally and Dakar it is wonderful to understand how the driving techniques differ. The approaches to driving on dunes was especially interesting.

Those cross country Minis are really something. Really put an end to the domination of the SUVs.

Drive on,
Shibu

Quote:

Originally Posted by shibujp (Post 4737018)

Those cross country Minis are really something. Really put an end to the domination of the SUVs.

Drive on,
Shibu

In one of those highlights, second place finished Nasser Al-Attiyah mentioned that he just could not catch up with Sainz in his Mini buggy, as it was much faster than his Toyota. Probably because of the weight advantage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tharian (Post 4737027)
In one of those highlights, second place finished Nasser Al-Attiyah mentioned that he just could not catch up with Sainz in his Mini buggy, as it was much faster than his Toyota. Probably because of the weight advantage.

Agree that weight advantage is a factor but it is also due to the Mini Buggy having a higher top speed than the Toyota Hilux. Hence, on the straight hard surface it was faster. Also, the Toyota's suspension setup was a bit stiffer which caused them to run a bit slower than they would have, to avoid suspension damage and punctures.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tharian (Post 4737027)

Quote:

Originally Posted by aghate (Post 4737335)
Agree that weight advantage is a factor but it is also due to the Mini Buggy having a higher top speed than the Toyota Hilux. Hence, on the straight hard surface it was faster. Also, the Toyota's suspension setup was a bit stiffer which caused them to run a bit slower than they would have, to avoid suspension damage and punctures.

I would have thought that the toughness of the chassis and it's durability would have played a great part. Strengthening the Mini from what is essential a monocoque road car to a vehicle fit for the Dakar would have added in the weight I would assume. Especially against an opponent like the Hilux which was built to work in such environments day in and day out.

The lower center of gravity may also have given the Mini and advantage.

Drive on,
Shibu.