Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2019, 11:10   #16
BHPian

Re: Formula 1 : Grand Prix De Monaco 2019

I believe it was David Croft who said in yesterdays commentary that cutting down a few trees down from where the tunnel straight ends can hopefully extend the straight and make for a good overtaking spot. It is a good thought, but I wonder if it is that easily executable.
Old 27th May 2019, 11:11   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
I still don't understand how a driver after hitting twice other cars, earned 5 second penalty can become the Driver of the Day
Because he made the race interesting. He put constant pressure on Lewis to make the race watchable. Otherwise you would have seen Lewis lap the circuit in 1:20s instead of 1:17s meaning we would have seen a train of F1 cars just going through the corners.

Quote:
Had Max kept his cool while exiting pit he would have finished 3rd and ahead of Vettel in standings.
He was released by his team. If anything it was his pit crew's fault.

Quote:
What Hamilton did was a copy of what Senna did in 1992. A champion's drive to hold Max who was driving on more durable hard compound tires.
It's impossible to overtake in Monaco. Last year Daniel was down 100 or 160bhp due to a PU issue and still managed to keep everyone at bay(I think Lewis was second for that race) for almost half the race. In contrast here, Mercedes had the power advantage to be safe at the end of the tunnel straight. I am in no way saying Lewis's drive was any less masterful, but this is the only track where anyone could have managed to do so with such bad tires.

Last edited by nair : 27th May 2019 at 11:15.
nair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 11:23   #18
BANNED

An exciting race. Hamilton kept his cool with 'Medium' while others were on 'Hard's. The rain never came.

finally, 'F' came in second. This should have been a Ferrari circuit with the pressure on Torque and not ponies. I wish they improve. Sorry for Leclerc who had a miserable weekend.
Old 27th May 2019, 12:35   #19
BHPian

Great Drive by Hamilton on degrading tires. While watching the last few laps, I was telling my friends that with Max chasing Hamilton I expect a contact between them (Given Max's reputation) and that's exactly what happened. Lucky for both that it didn't end their race.

Leclerc had a rough weekend but I still don't understand why there is no inquiry on him for driving so aggressively with a puncture. Not only did he damaged his own car but also spewed the whole track with body work that could have ruined the race for so many drivers. A driver willingly driving fast on a punctured tire spraying sharp projectiles all over the track resulting in a safety car is not something that should be allowed/encouraged. He could have easily taken his car to the pits at a much slower pace.
tazmaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 13:24   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
Leclerc had a rough weekend but I still don't understand why there is no inquiry on him for driving so aggressively with a puncture. Not only did he damaged his own car but also spewed the whole track with body work that could have ruined the race for so many drivers. A driver willingly driving fast on a punctured tire spraying sharp projectiles all over the track resulting in a safety car is not something that should be allowed/encouraged. He could have easily taken his car to the pits at a much slower pace.
Simple answer - Leclerc is a racing driver. He would have felt he could come into the pits, change tyres and be out racing again.

They are not conditioned to give up and there have been many instances of drivers having a puncture, coming into the pits and rejoining the race.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 15:38   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nair View Post
He was released by his team. If anything it was his pit crew's fault.
Even if it was an unsafe release he should have been more careful in a tight pit lane like Monaco. If you watch the replays and stills it is evident that he was ambitious.

Formula 1 : Grand Prix De Monaco 2019-maxverstappenredbullracing1.jpg

Normally an unsafe release would end-up in drive through or 10 second stop-go penalty. Here Max was lucky to get away with just 5 seconds knocked down.
Old 27th May 2019, 16:23   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Even if it was an unsafe release he should have been more careful in a tight pit lane like Monaco. If you watch the replays and stills it is evident that he was ambitious.
He cannot go left. I don't think he is not supposed to cross those yellow lines unless he is piting. He will run over engineers of other teams. He had to squeeze Bottas. The biggest crime here was the unsafe release. Once Max started driving, there was no way he could/would move out of the way for Bottas due to the tight pit lane you mentioned. No F1 driver will give way if they are an inch ahead of their rival, let alone half a car length. No way Max or Bottas 2.0 was yielding. And don't forget the reason Bottas was slightly behind is because Mercedes double stacked their drivers in the pitlane. So Bottas definitely lost time in that pit lane. Still should have come out ahead of Max, if not for the unsafe release by Red Bull.

Quote:
Normally an unsafe release would end-up in drive through or 10 second stop-go penalty. Here Max was lucky to get away with just 5 seconds knocked down.
Yes, Max and his team got away easy. Penalty too low for the offense. But he would have ended up 4th either way in my opinion. This way the race got interesting. But definitely way too lenient.

Last edited by nair : 27th May 2019 at 16:27.
Old 29th May 2019, 09:05   #23
Senior - BHPian

Wonder who is going to be cast for the next F1 episode and what script they are going to write this time for some increase in viewership.
Hamilton did a good job this time with his role.

Last edited by tharian : 29th May 2019 at 09:14.

Most Viewed