Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2019, 09:30   #16
BHPian

Re: Formula 1: The 2019 French Grand Prix

Looks like Daniel Ricciardo was handed two 5 second penalties post race for "re-joining unsafely forcing another driver off track” when he overtook Lando and Kimi in the last lap due to which he has been moved from 7th to 11th.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...TEC1Nvvv3.html

Looks like one of the only interesting parts of the race was illegal!
SR71-Blackbird is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 10:41   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71-Blackbird View Post
Looks like Daniel Ricciardo was handed two 5 second penalties post race for "re-joining unsafely forcing another driver off track” when he overtook Lando and Kimi in the last lap due to which he has been moved from 7th to 11th.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...TEC1Nvvv3.html

Looks like one of the only interesting parts of the race was illegal!
F1 races should be decided on qualifying results. That way we don’t have to worry about race car drivers racing each other... This sport is becoming a joke!
motor_breathing is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 10:43   #18
Senior - BHPian

Nice to see TATA Communications below the F1 logo on official's shirt backs.
Attached Thumbnails
Formula 1: The 2019 French Grand Prix-capture.png  

tharian is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 11:32   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor_breathing View Post
F1 races should be decided on qualifying results. That way we don’t have to worry about race car drivers racing each other... This sport is becoming a joke!
Happy that I skipped watching the French car reality show. This joke is in no risk of being a sport, by next season it can firmly establish itself as a soap opera revolving around Mercedes. Been watching Formula One since 1993, when men raced machines while teams found loopholes in the rulebook and exploited them like all fierce competitors would do.

RIP Formula One, hi Penalty Many. The Honey Badger surmises it all with his tweet “No regrets. I tried. Would rather that than sit back without a heart.”

https://twitter.com/danielricciardo/...50547839655938
sun_king is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 11:54   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

What a fun race!
Hamilton is well on his way to cementing a legendary stats for himself. I was wondering by about when he will be passing Schumacher, but it looks to be sooner than I believed.
This sport has always been about the domination by one team, and an occasional challenge by another. In some seasons it has only been for one or two years, but primarily one team has tended to dominate for some years at a stretch. Ferrari, Renault, RBR, now Mercedes, it has always been so. During the Ferrari days, it used to be that the F in FIA was Ferrari, and it really grated on the ears. So I am completely relishing the new maFIA, though i think its a barroom joke that has become accepted.
mayankk is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 14:16   #21
BHPian

Wasn't it the same same during the Schumacher days? Nobody was complaining then and most were marveling at the utter dominance by Ferrari and Schumi. There are 3 works teams and 2 other world championship teams with almost equal or vast sums of money at their disposal. What is stopping them from making their cars the best and getting drivers who can win the championship. Incompetence can be boring and there is no way around it.
AJITHAAA is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 16:51   #22
NGM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor_breathing View Post
If f1 goes on like this, i think it will loose fans across the globe with no real racing happening and just a parade of cars.
Old 24th June 2019, 18:17   #23
BHPian

Watched this race for about 10 laps and realised I could spend my time better somewhere else and switched off the TV and went and helped the wife in the house. I guess I was the winner on both counts as it seems it was a parade of very shiny cars.
Like the post above, if it continues like this for longer time, it will definitely nolonger be a spectator sport.
Old 24th June 2019, 19:38   #24
BHPian

We as fans of F1 racing better take a sabbatical and come back some time in the future.

On a serious note, this was the case when Schumi and the Ferraris were utterly dominant. So it is a cyclical thing when one team becomes dominant when the regulations change and also with the best driver on board as we saw with Renault and Alonso initially, then with Red Bull and Seb and now with Merc and Lewis.
Old 24th June 2019, 22:15   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJITHAAA View Post
Wasn't it the same same during the Schumacher days? Nobody was complaining then and most were marveling at the utter dominance by Ferrari and Schumi. There are 3 works teams and 2 other world championship teams with almost equal or vast sums of money at their disposal. What is stopping them from making their cars the best and getting drivers who can win the championship. Incompetence can be boring and there is no way around it.
I would say there is not much of complaints about Merc domination, it is more about the sissification of what once was racing. Now you cannot reenter the track unless everyone passes - safety or something like it. This was not there when Schumi was in his prime between 2000 and 2004. In those days a car stopped in the grass did not bring out the safety car and the race went on. You didn't hear drivers whine "He passed me on the left side, report him". Very rarely did we see race control saying that someone is under investigation for causing a collision. Most of the penalties we saw were for jump starts.

And as for the wonderful new rules that make sure that all the drivers are well protected and exceptionally safe, it is applied quite differently across the grid. Whatever Max does is usually penalized, Vettel gets it if Hamilton is involved and it is not a race if either Haas or Racing Point gets a penalty.

It is the abundance of rules, its ambiguities and selective applications that made this shiny car go around a joke.
sun_king is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 22:51   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun_king View Post
I would say there is not much of complaints about Merc domination, it is more about the sissification of what once was racing. Now you cannot reenter the track unless everyone passes - safety or something like it. This was not there when Schumi was in his prime between 2000 and 2004. In those days a car stopped in the grass did not bring out the safety car and the race went on. You didn't hear drivers whine "He passed me on the left side, report him". Very rarely did we see race control saying that someone is under investigation for causing a collision. Most of the penalties we saw were for jump starts.

And as for the wonderful new rules that make sure that all the drivers are well protected and exceptionally safe, it is applied quite differently across the grid. Whatever Max does is usually penalized, Vettel gets it if Hamilton is involved and it is not a race if either Haas or Racing Point gets a penalty.

It is the abundance of rules, its ambiguities and selective applications that made this shiny car go around a joke.
Well you can call it sissification, but these laws started to be put in when lives were being lost, people maimed and so on. Heroes were dying on the tracks, careers were being cut short. And its not like these laws are made up every race, its drafted well before and each team/driver is aware of them. Vettel gets it because he makes errors and then instead of manning up and trying to build a lead and win the race, he sissies all along over radio.
AJITHAAA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 23:11   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Well you can call it sissification, but these laws started to be put in when lives were being lost, people maimed and so on. Heroes were dying on the tracks, careers were being cut short. And its not like these laws are made up every race, its drafted well before and each team/driver is aware of them. Vettel gets it because he makes errors and then instead of manning up and trying to build a lead and win the race, he sissies all along over radio.
After Senna, how many lives were lost on the race tracks?

Other than the freak accident of Jules, F1 has an impressive record. And even Senna's death cannot have been prevented by the current rules and regulations. Would Massa's accident have been prevented by the unsafe reentry rules or by the 5 second penalties? More players have died on the cricket fields than the F1 track in the last 25 years, you don't see them softening the cricket balls so that it is safer for the players. No sir, there are risks in some sports and you don't remove them all and make it a ritual.

As technology evolved and the F1 car became stronger and stronger, one would expect a little bit more of wheel to wheel racing. But as of now, its as far as possible from each other.

Rant apart, I guess we are digressing from the thread title, if you wish we can have a different thread on what happened to racing.
sun_king is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 23:34   #28
BHPian

It would be unfair to compare the current breed of drivers, including Hamilton with the absolute legends like Schumacher and Senna. Also the current F1 scene can't hold a candle to what F1 was like.

Look at this video of 2012 Monaco GP, it was Schumi's final pole which he was eventually denied of as he got a grid penalty for causing a collision in last race. You could see him changing break bias throughout the lap and taking the chicane one handed. Schumi was box office, he made races entertaining.

Now a days they have a mode for everything!

Australian GP
Hamilton: I need that point Bono.
Bono: So strat mode 10 is available Lewis.

Monaco GP
Verstappen chased Hamilton who had tyre issues and was being a cry baby for the same, for most of the race but was only given the 'Overtake Mode' in like the last 10 or so laps.

Drivers are not in control of their cars, management is driving the cars they are only holding the steering. It's just not racing anymore, F1 is no more about pushing the corners, driving to the limits, this is new the F1 it's about driving safe, being content, giving penalties for trying too hard or as we used to call it, racing

F1 in Future:
Hamilton: I need a nap Bono.
Bono: Nap Mode available Lewis, will wake you up in 30.
wrongturn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 08:43   #29
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, Formula 1 is seriously becoming Formula Yawn. This was one of the most boring races ever. The sole reason I watched it was that three of us (me & my brothers) hang out together with conversations + food for company. No way in hell would I watch a race alone. Moto GP is like ten times more interesting. Heck, forget other motorsport, I'm NOT a cricket fan at all, yet enjoyed the India-Pakistan match more than Formula Yawn .

Quote:
Wasn't it the same same during the Schumacher days? Nobody was complaining then and most were marveling at the utter dominance by Ferrari and Schumi.
Indeed. We are watching history being made & Hamilton is definitely one of the all-time greats. He realistically has a shot at matching / beating Schumacher's championship tally.

That said, even during Ferrari's era of dominance, the races were boring & people were switching off their TVs. So bad was the situation that the FIA changed the rules!

Last edited by GTO : 25th June 2019 at 08:44.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 09:16   #30
BHPian

Quote:

I would say two wrongs does not make a right. It was boring when Schumacher was dominating but it was just 3 years 2001, 2002 and 2004.
In the other 2 titles he won, the WDC was decided on last or penultimate race. Look at the current situation one can easily predict the top 3 for any race. And this is the same situation for 6 years!! (Barring 2016 when Nico put up a fight) And I don't blame Mercedes or Lewis in maximizing their package.

During Ferrari dominance FIA did all possible rule changes to clamp down Ferrari, like qualifying format change, tire suppliers, point system etc etc..
Currently they are not trying to do that to level the field. The reason is Mercedes and Lewis is better ambassadors of sport than Ferrari and Vettel.
And English speaking world is happy because their man is winning and close to become GOAT at leaset statistically. In this circumstance, FIA should atleast try and force Merc to put some one like Vestrappen or Alonso in the other car and some amount of unpredictability will come.

In the 2 wheeled equivalent of F1 there has been a greater dominance by one person since he first came in in 2013. Since then he has won all but one championship but no-one suggests he should retire or sport is boring. The sport is still exciting and the changes made by Dorna over the last 10 years have improved the sport a lot.

The real problem is that F1 is held to ransom by the big makers for future rules or direction, Ferrari and Merc are aligned at board level. Honda tried same thing in Motogp with the idea of a common ECU and software etc or else they would leave. Once they realized that their drama is not going to work, they decided to stay.

The FIA should ignore the threat of big manufacturers walking out and produce the rules that will allow close competition and something called "racing".
motor_breathing is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed