Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2019, 13:40   #31
BHPian

Re: Formula 1: The 2019 French Grand Prix

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGM View Post
If f1 goes on like this, i think it will loose fans across the globe with no real racing happening and just a parade of cars.
+1. Stopped following the F1 few years back. Its a complete yawn fest. Cars parading for 70 odd laps.
Old 25th June 2019, 14:45   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
You could see him changing break bias throughout the lap and taking the chicane one handed. Schumi was box office, he made races entertaining.
F1 drivers still change brake bias, differential settings etc, but now they are doing it via buttons and paddles.

The F1 greatest drivers of today would have fared better in the past rules as well, that is what I think.
ecenandu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 15:51   #33
BHPian

Missed the race after a long time because I was on a flight. After landing when I checked hotstar, clearly I didn't miss anything. I'm a guy watching F1 for last 20 years or so.

As GTO perfectly summarised, it's now Formula Yawn. They need some drastic steps to make it entertaining. I propose getting 20 Mercedes cars to start with!
Old 25th June 2019, 17:04   #34
BANNED

I also found the race quite boring. Whatever action was there in the lower positions. Also, the French GP has made the track too uneventful. Maybe I will start loving MonteCarlo. In many ways I prefer the Baku race. Half the circuit is the modern no fun circuit while the other half can be a lot of fun going through the city. I am also inclined to ignore F1 but then what?

What has happened. Mercedes are dominating all. I did see Vettel get the fastest lap once so the engine and chassis are up to it. We have a family of engines - Mercedes, Ferrari, Renault, Honda ... but seem to be doing a fat lot of good. Technology has reached a level where even 0.1s is enough. See the qualifying times, not even a second between the lot.

As a retiree I nee some action!
Old 25th June 2019, 17:13   #35
BHPian

I tried to get back into F1 after 7-8 years away from the Sport & it's a total bore...even the cars sound so lame now.

Tried to get excited for this season, but after snoozing through the first 3-4 races I now just watch the highlights on YouTube.

Even the commentators seem to struggle to inject any excitement into their dreary jobs.

It's so sad, I remember the glory days of M Schumacher vs Hakkinnen, Juan Pablo Montoya, Jacque Villeneuve even Damon Hill.....
driven646 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 03:13   #36
BHPian

I have been following f1 since the fag end of 2004. It has been never so boring as it has been over the last few years. I do not watch cricket or any other sport. It has become so predictable, even watching the highlights is boring now. Why don’t we relax the rules a bit for atleast 1 year? Bring in the double diffusers, active suspensions etc of the yore and let it be racing for gods sakes. Even formula A was more interesting than the current day F1

On a side note, does anybody follow F2 or formula E? I just want to stop watching F 1 now
Old 26th June 2019, 05:40   #37
BHPian

Been saying this for a few years now. Its almost become a 2 tiered racing competition where the midfield teams need a miracle to win a race. Except for the 3 top teams, all other cars regularly finish a lap down.This makes for a very boring viewing experience where the winner is almost a foregone conclusion.

I think the F1 management needs to take a serious view of the situation lest they want the fans to desert and switch to other racing leagues. Getting rid of Bernie (who in my mind played a major role in the deterioration of competitive racing in F1) was definitely a step in the right direction.
Old 26th June 2019, 09:11   #38
Senior - BHPian

Even in the Schumi era, we had Hakkinen, Montoya, DC to give a decent fight to Ferrari. But now its a clear snoozefest. Seems like Merc and Ham are just aiming to break records.

I would say, rollback the rules. Get refueling back, get multiple tyre manufacturers back. Let there be more gamble on the strategies. Give more freedom to mid field teams from a testing purpose.

I work on weekends and still try to catch a glimpse but not sure if I'll continue with the same intensity now onwards.

Cheers,
Raj
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 12:32   #39
BHPian

I think the last best season of F1 was 2007 when it went down till the last race will 3 drivers in contention: Kimi, Alonso and Hamilton. That was an unreal season for me specially because I am a Kimi fan and I knew how much he deserved it.

In terms of competition, it has all gone down hill from there to the point of today where it is just plain boring. I really feel the future of sport is in jeopardy considering they wont have an audience in the future.
adhd92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 12:47   #40
Senior - BHPian

Since V6 Hybrid Era started, F1 started becoming boring. Mercedes got a head start and since then they are unstoppable.

Another thing affecting racing is constant rule changes. Last year Ferrari and Redbull were taking the fight to Mercedes and also winning races.

But again rule changes to front and rear wings and barge board area this year went against Ferrari and Redbull and dropped them back.

In the midfield these changes helped McLaren but went against Haas.

The f1 cars are so complicated these days, with electronics as well as aero. I would love to go back to cars where only horsepower & driver skills mattered.

“Aerodynamics are for people who can't build Engines.” - Enzo Ferrari
Old 26th June 2019, 12:54   #41
Senior - BHPian

On a lighter note

Formula 1: The 2019 French Grand Prix-fb_img_1561468106244.jpg

Source: Facebook
Old 26th June 2019, 14:44   #42
BANNED

Now Austria next week. The ring is again Micky Mouse.

We are in the European seasons so expect races to come fast, and close together. Once a week.

Last edited by sgiitk : 26th June 2019 at 14:45.
Old 26th June 2019, 14:50   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
I would say, rollback the rules. Get refueling back, get multiple tyre manufacturers back. Let there be more gamble on the strategies. Give more freedom to mid field teams from a testing purpose.
Exactly my thoughts too. All what is being done now in the name of strategy is just choosing the tyre compound and decide whether to change it once or twice during the race. Bringing back all the factors mentioned would surely spice up things like it used to.
ask_017 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 07:18   #44
BHPian

First of all, sorry to take this topic to a different dimension.
F1 fans, shift over to MotoGP or WSBK. Yes, there are quite a few races where one certain Marc Marquez dominates or Alvaro Bautista kicks butt, but in most races, you’ll find a great dogfight. The secret spice is standardisation and rules. Some time back, MotoGP took some really hard steps to bring all the players to a level field. Yes, F1 too followed suit in some areas but probably not in aerodynamics and electronics.
Maybe, just maybe if we can do something around these two areas, the races would be more driver centric than manufacturer centric.
In MotoGP, the Ducati is the horsepower king for a long time; the Honda has emerged as the new king as seen in the top speed figures this year, the Suzuki turns on a dime and the Yamaha is still the most rider friendly machine to ride fast on (at least that’s what they say). With power figures more or less in the same zone, it’s a pleasure to see these pilots exploring the micro advantages that their bikes character can offer.

If F1 can bring a level playing field, it may soon be pulling fans and audiences again.

As Desmosedici states, bring in more variables to play with, I agree. But, make those tactical rather than strategic.

Last edited by roadrunner_nv : 27th June 2019 at 07:21. Reason: More spice added

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks