Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2019, 20:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

Formula 1 : The Italian GP

The Italian GP - Monza

The F1 circus arrives at Monza, considered to be the home race of Ferrari.
Timing : Sunday 7th September, 6:40 PM IST

The Circuit
  • Autodromo Nazionale Monza
  • The only circuit along with Silverstone that has featured in every GP since the series started in 1950.
  • One of the highest speed circuits on the calendar (362.5 kmph achieved by a 2018 F1 car) The V10 era saw speeds as high as 372 kmph.
  • Cars are on full throttle for about 80% of the time
  • Gearboxes and engines are some of the most stressed components during this race.
  • Cars are setup with the minimum wing angle of any GP as the circuit is all about straights with only 4 proper corners. Top speed is critical.

The 2018 Race
Considered to be one of the turning points of the WDC challenge for Ferrari, Kimi Raikkonen got pole benefitting off a two from Vettel. To compound issues Vettel had a run in with Hamilton in the first lap and pitted for a new wing. Hamilton won the race with Kimi and Bottas finishing up the podium. Vettel came fourth losing critical points in the championship.

2019 Tyre Compounds
Formula 1 : The Italian GP-pirellimonza.jpg

2019 Qualifying
Leclerc take pole followed up by Hamilton and Bottas. Vettel takes fourth. The Renaults line up as best of the rest with Riccardo followed up by Hulkenberg. Sainz, Albon, Stroll and Raikkonen finish up the top 10.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2019, 20:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

Formula 1 : The Italian GP

It's what happens when everyone tries to be a little too smart!

I was actually hoping Sainz could somehow pull off a good lap and gain a few places on the grid, but I guess either he was too slow or his tyres were done by the outlap itself after all the jostling that went on.

In all the mess, last years pole lap time of 1:19.119 still remains unbeaten!

Last edited by SilentEngine : 7th September 2019 at 20:18.
Old 7th September 2019, 20:12   #3
BHPian

Hello all,

Has anyone seeing what happened in Q3?

Everyone delayed their departure from pit lanes, then after coming out of pit lanes, everyone went very slow. The Renault of Hulkenberg went through bollards so that he is not in front! But again racing point driver Stroll went so slow that in the end Hulkenberg was in the front!

Then some slow moves by everyone and the scramble to get ahead so that Q3 doesn't go in waste. But only Sainz scrapped through the chequered flag for another flying lap while everyone suffered!

Same thing happened in Q2 also. I don't know what strategies the teams are playing but slip stream seems only factor so that lead driver punches a hole in air.

Mods: I was not able to find a thread, hence started this one. Merge if already one is made.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 7th September 2019 at 20:13.
Old 7th September 2019, 20:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: Formula 1 : The Italian GP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rst89 View Post
Hello all,

Has anyone seeing what happened in Q3?
Hilarious. Now they have gone and figured a way to screw up a guaranteed nail biter as everyone tried to post fastest time. With the tow being so effective, the wait was on for who goes first!

In the free practices, Hamilton looked to be right there with the Ferraris unlike in Spa. Not going to be an easy day out for the Reds tomorrow I think.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 7th September 2019, 20:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Horrible Formula 3 crash, that took place before qualifying. Accident led to removal of sausage kerb at the last corner.
fz_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2019, 10:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

Seemed to be a series of narrow escapes!

After starting the last timed session, Hulkenberg ran straight at the first chicane triggering chaos. FIA has reprimanded three drivers including the Hulk. Though what it does to prevent this happening in future, seems to be anyone's guess.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/reprim...erg-and-sainz/

Vettel was under investigation for stepping out of track limits during his last timed lap. Given the benefit of doubt as stewards felt that his front tyre was on the line in some shots.

Quote:
“The stewards reviewed multiple camera angles, some of which appeared to show that the tyres were not in contact with the white line of the track edge,” the stewards wrote in their report.
“However other angles appeared to show that part of the front ‘wheel’ (when viewed from above) may have been within the bounds of the white line. This cast an element of doubt which is considered significant enough to give the “benefit of doubt” to the driver in question.”
Link

Bottas was not left out either. His last lap was on the border as he had crossed the line after the red flags triggered by Raikkonen's shunt were shown.

Quote:
Although the red light was triggered on the marshal post before Bottas's lap ends, the red flag was registered by the official timing system fractionally later.
This is because of a tiny delay between the order being given for red flags and lights to be shown at all marshal posts, and the FIA's official messaging system being updated.
Link

Looking forward to an interesting race. Verstappen making tracks from the rear. Vettel trying to get the jump on the Mercs and possibly Riccardo fancying a go at Vettel too.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2019, 20:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

A great race by Charles Leclerc. Double Victory for Ferrari.
If only he had be given the support right from the season start, he would have been a championship contender. He really is the No.1 driver at Ferrari now.
Vettel has lost his charm and it is 2014 all over again for him.
Old 8th September 2019, 20:14   #8
BHPian

The change of guard at Ferrari's home race. If at Spa, Vettel helped Charles secure the win, at Monza Charles did it all alone. Phenomenal racing. Great temperament in keeping Lewis and Bottas behind him in face of constant pressure almost throughout the race. How will Vettel justify his #1 status in the team going forward?
Old 8th September 2019, 20:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

Charles LeClerc - enough said. Today it was all about him. Mercedes threw the proverbial bucket at him, everything they got but it never was enough. Tantalising close but yet so far. The Ferrari was just awesome down the Parabolica and onto the main straight.

I just love how Leclerc elbowed Hamilton at the Variente, the second corner after the first chicane. Sometime you just need moves like those to show your opposition that you are no pushover. And this time I don't think extra laps would have made a huge difference.

Game on. I hope Ferrari have a class leading car next season.

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th September 2019, 21:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

Finally, Ferrari belting in some good decisions. Hard tires were the one to go for, and Leclerc drove it beautifully. I hope Ferrari and RedBull through everything at Mercedes in the coming races, there is nothing to lose. I would love to see either of Ferrari and RedBull drivers win the remaining races.

Vettel is having the worst year of his career. I consider 2014 better than this. He's a character, and deserves a seat, but, he'll probably see off his contract, and retire with his best friend Kimi in 2020.

Renault and Ferrari seems to have similar characteristics. Low downforce tracks suit them. A good result, and the mid field battle is on.
Old 8th September 2019, 21:17   #11
BHPian

What a race!

Reminds me of 2018 when Mercedes hunted down Riakonnen and bagged the first spot.
And in 2019, Charles and the hard tires didn't let him down when Mercedes threw both drivers at him.

Mercedes boss Toto W. was disappointed when Bottas made mistakes while chasing Leclerc as Bottas too was close to him.

And the roar Monza crowd have when Hamilton locked and went through bollards while chasing Leclerc was worth hearing.
Old 8th September 2019, 21:40   #12
BHPian

Leclerc really proved himself today as an amazing F1 driver. It's no small feat to hold back a 5 time World Champion and another experienced driver on a slower tyre compound and hardly any gap between him and the Mercs.

The emotions were crazy today, Ferrari finally back as the Kings of Monza. The fans there must be so proud and how!
nikhilthegunner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2019, 22:24   #13
Senior - BHPian

Leclerc is of the same mould of Max! A proper young racer! I think handing him a ferrari seat as probably the best thing that Ferrari have done. He is almost fearless, drives on the limit and I believe, like Max, Leclerc too will make a few mistakes here and there, may be even pulled up by people for moving too much on the track or defending too hard. And just like how Max has become much better in the last 2 years, im sure Leclerc too will become a more complete driver. A brilliant drive from him today!

On the other hand, Seb, what is he getting in to? So many mistakes in the last 2 years. Was a huge fan of him when he joined Ferrari and the way he lifted the whole team around him. But in the last 2 years he has made mistakes that is not befitting of top drivers. No excuses really. In comparison even mid field drivers who are constantly in a tight spot have not made as many. If he is mentally not in, then he should call it quits. Just the other weekend during the German Grand Prix, he showed tremendous composure. I thought he was getting it back. But today was sad to watch. Just imagine if Seb had kept up with the lead cars, he could have easily been in the podium, mirroring the pit stop strategy of Bottas.
Old 9th September 2019, 00:20   #14
BHPian

Here are the race highlights

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 03:43   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
Here are the race highlights

Cheers
The best 6 minutes of F1 I watched in many years. Thanks for sharing.

Charles LECLERC is the new star

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks