Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2019, 20:01   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Formula 1: The 2019 Japanese GP @ Suzuka

Nerves getting to Vettel. At this level, it's unacceptable. Any after all those fantastic starts he has made all season, he botches this one. A very expensive mistake and frankly I think one that helped Verstappen get the drop on Leclerc as well.

Starting behind P1 is a hugely less pressure when you have other drivers as reference giving you those few extra thousand milliseconds of reaction time. And having rarely been able to put the Prancing horse on pole, Vettel has perfected the art of a fast getaway at other positions. I must say he was lucky to salvage what he did. The straight line speed of the Ferrari is simply monstrous.

Lewis and Verstappen are all gung ho and boasty about fair racing, hard racing and pure racing as long as their opponent get the short end of the stick. The minute even one of the hens come to roost and spoils their day they get all whiny and nasty. Lewis about how he was not given the hards and so on. Why doesn't he take his team to task for the umpteen times his team has asked Bottas to play wingman. I think this is one of the rare times Bottas has been given a fair deal and see what he has pulled out of the bag. Verstappen after all his speeches about hard racing and all that, when treated to a dish of his own making goes on a rant. Good to see Albon come up. I love to see him take the fight to the orange kid.

I just hope Mercedes with the constructors locked down give a fair chance to both their drivers win the championship. Bottas has played a sterling job is helping them nail that down and the least they could do his give him a level playing ground.

It was downright dangerous of Ferrari to leave Leclerc out the way they did. That debris could have easily caused more damage than a few wing mirrors.

Renault got both cars in the top 10. Sainz and Albon did their teams proud. Verstappen, Leclerc, Albon, Norris, Sainz, Russel and Giovinazi...the next generation looks rich in talent and are making their mark in top teams giving their older counterparts a run for their money.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 06:33   #17
BHPian

This was another largely forgettable race lacking the excitement that one comes to expect from F1. Waiting for 2021 when the next reset happens and hopefully then the midfield is much closer to the front runners.
Old 14th October 2019, 10:40   #18
BHPian

I think the Ferrari political game is mentally hurting Sebastian. He does not have a PR agent or manager and doing his stuff on his own. Other garage Nicholas Todt is the manager of LEC and has enough clout in Ferrari. There was one video in which he is taking Binotto to task for giving undercut for Seb in Singapore. I think he would have been too determined not to lose the start to LEC and made the false start. With LEC out of the game, even if Seb was in P1 merc would have hunted him down with Lewis doing undercut and Bottas doing over cut. One lap pace ferrari is superior, but the tire usage is hurting them in race and merc is clearly faster (laptime wise) in race trim. All these games at ferrari make me think Lewis will be 7WDC come 2020 christmas.
Old 14th October 2019, 12:11   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post

It was downright dangerous of Ferrari to leave Leclerc out the way they did. That debris could have easily caused more damage than a few wing mirrors.
I missed the beginning of the race. When I saw the rerun, the Course Steward should have called for the safety car to allow the carbon debris to be killed. Am surprised no car suffered punctures due to this.
Old 14th October 2019, 12:15   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I missed the beginning of the race. When I saw the rerun, the Course Steward should have called for the safety car to allow the carbon debris to be killed. Am surprised no car suffered punctures due to this.

The race director called Ferrari to pit LEC and they were calling box box box and LEC said the car is feeling fine and continued for two more laps. I wonder why they had to give the time penalty after the race. It could have been done during the race itself. Altering the finishing order after the race is not great
motor_breathing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 12:18   #21
BHPian

Quote:
From a safety perspective, Leclerc should have been black flagged for not having a left rear view mirror. It got detached and flew out. Portions of his front wing also were sprayed around the track.

Post race, Lerclerc was handed 2 penalties; one for the collision with Max (5 seconds + 2 points on his license) and the other for the debris that hit Lewis's car caused due to the car being unsafe (10 seconds).

Last edited by swissknife : 14th October 2019 at 12:25.
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 14:47   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Nerves getting to Vettel. At this level, it's unacceptable. Any after all those fantastic starts he has made all season, he botches this one. A very expensive mistake and frankly I think one that helped Verstappen get the drop on Leclerc as well.

Lewis and Verstappen are all gung ho and boasty about fair racing, hard racing and pure racing as long as their opponent get the short end of the stick. The minute even one of the hens come to roost and spoils their day they get all whiny and nasty. Lewis about how he was not given the hards and so on. Why doesn't he take his team to task for the umpteen times his team has asked Bottas to play wingman. I think this is one of the rare times Bottas has been given a fair deal and see what he has pulled out of the bag. Verstappen after all his speeches about hard racing and all that, when treated to a dish of his own making goes on a rant. Good to see Albon come up. I love to see him take the fight to the orange kid.

I'm sorry but Leclerc crashed into Max, there was no hard racing whatsoever. Max was on the outside line and Charles on the inside line, there was enough room for them to race. Max had left enough room. It is completely unacceptable to right off whatever Leclerc does as hard racing. From Austria with Max, then in Monza moving under braking against Lewis.
If it was Max 2 seasons ago people would be clutching pearls.

In Monza.
For forcing Hamilton off track he was just given the black and white flag.
For cutting the corner there was no action taken.
For moving under braking there was no action taken.
I understand Stewards have been a bit lenient after that horrible call on giving penalty to Vettel in Canada. But his race win was stolen from him for something that was out of his hands.

It is quite unacceptable to say it was hard racing.

I have attached pictures into that corner below.

The contact doesn't happen quite deep int the corner after Max has almost passed Leclerc.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/videos/f-1-...2f0hmjwjrqx2fh
Attached Thumbnails
Formula 1: The 2019 Japanese GP @ Suzuka-capture.jpg  

Formula 1: The 2019 Japanese GP @ Suzuka-capture1.1.jpg  

Formula 1: The 2019 Japanese GP @ Suzuka-capture2.2.jpg  

Formula 1: The 2019 Japanese GP @ Suzuka-capture3.jpg  

Formula 1: The 2019 Japanese GP @ Suzuka-capture4.jpg  

Formula 1: The 2019 Japanese GP @ Suzuka-capture5.jpg  

Formula 1: The 2019 Japanese GP @ Suzuka-uvyzrnv.jpg  

Last edited by glikithvinayaka : 14th October 2019 at 14:51.
Old 14th October 2019, 14:51   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
From a safety perspective, Leclerc should have been black flagged for not having a left rear view mirror.
Wing bits, yes. Ferrari did make the call to box immediately after race control instructed them to, so the fault is Leclerc's for not complying (even if the car felt fine), hence the time penalty to driver instead of just a team fine.

Hamilton had his right RVM missing too, would be harsh to disqualify cars for those. Those probably don't serve much visibility purposes anyway given how low the drivers sit, the high cockpit sides and now the halo, most teams are more interested in them as aero surfaces these days.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 14th October 2019 at 15:20. Reason: Spelling
Old 14th October 2019, 14:55   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Those probably don't serve much visibility purposes anyway given how low the drivers sit, the high cockpit sides and now the halo, most teams are more interested in them as aero surfaces these days.
The rear view mirrors are not just for aerodynamic purposes. They are very much functional and it's extremely important that drivers use them.
Old 14th October 2019, 15:09   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
The rear view mirrors are not just for aerodynamic purposes. They are very much functional and it's extremely important that drivers use them.
Read again.

I said they're limited for visibility purposes due to a bunch of design factors, not that they're unnecessary.

Mirrors themselves are an aero headache (designers would love to have unrestricted airflow to the rear wing over the sidepods & bargeboards), but the 2019 rules allowing an extra outboard mounting position for the mirrors (for a more secure attachment) means quite a few teams are utilizing the mirrors and the mounting surfaces as aero devices to smooth out the airflow around the mandatory mirrors.

Williams had their pre-season design questioned for a technical regulation breach, and Torro Rosso and Mclaren are currently both running mirrors that demonstrate this point. Check out some pictures.

2020 rules will further tighten aero component design on the cars' sides.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 14th October 2019 at 15:19.
Old 14th October 2019, 16:35   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post

Hamilton had his right RVM missing too, would be harsh to disqualify cars for those. Those probably don't serve much visibility purposes anyway given how low the drivers sit, the high cockpit sides and now the halo, most teams are more interested in them as aero surfaces these days.
Most probably, Lewis had very little need for them as Carlos Sainz Jr was 5 seconds away. He probably needed them only when passing the back markers
Old 14th October 2019, 17:20   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Most probably, Lewis had very little need for them as Carlos Sainz Jr was 5 seconds away. He probably needed them only when passing the back markers
I believe Hamilton's RVM was knocked off by flying debris from Leclerc's car. There was a slow-mo shot showing bits flying all over the place, and a few carbon fiber bits actually hit on or pretty close to Hamilton's helmet.
Old 14th October 2019, 17:34   #28
BANNED

We were in the midst of moving. Yes, it is the Japanese who could manage with a full blown cyclone. In fact you could have looked at the scenario during qualification. It was blowing hard.

Mercedes has won the championship. Now Ferrari can lick their wounds. The race was very chaotic.

I can understand all teams wanting a full 'red tyre' race, so they took a minimum time out for the 'yellow' or even white tyre.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 14th October 2019 at 17:45. Reason: typos corrected
sgiitk is offline   Received Infraction
Old 14th October 2019, 19:08   #29
BHPian

Here goes my rant:

Absolutely Shambolic policing by the FIA.

No penalty for Vettel's false start? Really? Just because your sensors don't recognize the movement doesn't mean your eyes don't either..

And what was up with the stewards first saying No Action against Leclerc? What Masi said later is that they started the investigation after receiving more footage. Didn't they have all the footage initially? Did they decide on No Action by looking only at one piece of video

And why No Black Flag for Leclerc? What if the front end plate had smacked Lewis in the face through the Halo gap? No memory of Massa @ Hungary anymore, regarding what pieces of car can do? Not to mention, Lando's brakes were overheating due to pieces of Carbon lodged in the ducts from Leclerc's Ferrari. And McLaren had to pit him against their strategy. So Leclerc ruined not only his own race, he ruined it for Max and Lando directly.

Blatant favoritism by FIA towards Ferrari

I have completely lost any faith in Masi and Team. Bring back Charlie, R.I.P., from the heavens!!

Last edited by DevilzzzzOwn : 14th October 2019 at 19:25.
Old 14th October 2019, 19:38   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glikithvinayaka View Post
I'm sorry but Leclerc crashed into Max, there was no hard racing whatsoever.
There is no correct definition of hard racing what-so-ever. How hard? What constitutes as little hard, medium hard and full blown hard? The minute Verstappen stood behind hard racing he also should understand that it is a grey area which is why Leclerc did not get a penalty at that point. He anyway got it afterwards. The minute Verstappen went on the outside he knew he was placing his car in danger of being hit by an understeering Leclerc who lost downforce following a car. Verstappen knew that anyway and yet did what he did. At Spa he turned into Raikkonen as if he wasn't there and didn't get a penalty. That was a "racing incident" apparently.

Vettel in Canada was also racing hard the way I see it.

I don't have a problem either way as long as he does not throw a sissy fit when things do not go his way.

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed