Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2019, 09:20   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How Lewis Hamilton compares to Michael Schumacher

Here's a concise overview of what will make f1 exciting next year for, at least, Hamilton fans:

https://wtf1.com/post/5-schumacher-r...aking-in-2020/
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 14:42   #47
Senior - BHPian

As on today

How Lewis Hamilton compares to Michael Schumacher-1.png

How Lewis Hamilton compares to Michael Schumacher-1a.png

How Lewis Hamilton compares to Michael Schumacher-2.png

How Lewis Hamilton compares to Michael Schumacher-2a.png

Stat source: www.formula1points.com

As per the stats LH may not beat the fastest laps count but he has a unique record of winning a race on every season he had contested.

I don't agree with the points comparison. At MS' time it was 10 to 1 and now there is an additional point for fastest lap too.
Old 10th September 2020, 18:30   #48
Senior - BHPian

Cars and the budget the teams have make a great difference over a season. There will be flashes of brilliance driving in rains etc which sometimes levels the field and pushes a good driver to the fore.
MS was in it for a long time just like our SRT. Some of his later championship wins was dominating given Ferrari's dominance as car. Barrichello was constant second most of time (atleast it seems so)

Right now for me MS is a legend. We didnt think someone would be close to his achievements. Lewis might surpass him but might not be win people's admiration like MS.

Last edited by srishiva : 10th September 2020 at 18:32.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 19:46   #49
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
As per the stats LH may not beat the fastest laps count but he has a unique record of winning a race on every season he had contested.

I don't agree with the points comparison. At MS' time it was 10 to 1 and now there is an additional point for fastest lap too.
Yes, points comparison is moot.
Even fastest lap is sort of moot, since when MS was racing there was refueling, now drivers start with full load and any mid field team who pits with just few laps remaining will get the fastest lap. If LH had refueling he would have gotten more fastest laps.

Last edited by aim120 : 10th September 2020 at 19:49.
aim120 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 13:16   #50
Senior - BHPian

I stopped following F1 madly after Michael. Michael 1 I mean. Not so much his return.

Kimi and Alonso briefly held my attention but nowhere close to my earlier passion for the sport.

I must admit I've missed therefore much of what's happened and was frankly surprised to learn that Lewis had in fact won so much and so prolifically.

He's definitely a great.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 15:37   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I stopped following F1 madly after Michael.

Cheers, Doc
Leclerc, Max, Ricciardo, Sainz, Gasley, Lando.

And Alonso from 2021.

Great stuff. Get in there old man.
Old 15th October 2020, 15:41   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Leclerc, Max, Ricciardo, Sainz, Gasley, Lando.

And Alonso from 2021.

Great stuff. Get in there old man.
F1 is totally dead for me man. And what's that ghastly cage thing man .... might as well drive closed cabin cars now.

And MotoGP is quickly following in the same direction.

To the extent that I've started resenting the weekend breaks for MotoGP during the just concluded Tour de France, and now the Giro on Euro Sport.

People evolve and life moves on in myriad new ways pup.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 15th October 2020 at 15:43.
Old 15th October 2020, 15:58   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

People evolve and life moves on in myriad new ways pup.

Cheers, Doc
Ah you have crossed over to the slow lane I see.

I wish Dakar was beamed live every day with some commentary. Love it. Probably the only form of racing apart from WRC that isn’t snipped yet.
Old 15th October 2020, 16:01   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Ah you have crossed over to the slow lane I see.

I wish Dakar was beamed live every day with some commentary. Love it. Probably the only form of racing apart from WRC that isn’t snipped yet.
You are always welcome to meet me on your Adv and find out in person.

Yup, Dakar would be a Godsend if it ever happens. Even Euro Sport I believe my cable guy has added on (free!) without realising there are madmen cyclists who are paying big bucks for GCN subscription tickets online to watch the same.

Cheers, Doc
Old 15th October 2020, 16:51   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I stopped following F1 madly after Michael. Michael 1 I mean. Not so much his return.
Ditto emotions here too!

But I don't believe it's only because of the man. The sport has become a bit boring too in my opinion. Back then not only did Michael have good competition who gave a run for his money, but so did the vehicles depending on the location of the race. Multiple tire brands for options meant different strategies involving different mix of variables that had different impact on the race - case in point being the 2005 United States grand prix where only 6 teams running on Bridgestone tires actually could compete in the race due to issues with the Michelin tires (which the rest 14 teams used).

And then there was the factor of the rain where the genius was on a different level. Don't think Lewis Hamilton has such a distinctive characteristic, but irrespective of all aspects, the man is definitely going to go on for atleast 2 more years if not more, creating new records. Except maybe the fan base size that Michael still holds.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 17:02   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Ditto emotions here too!

But I don't believe it's only because of the man. The sport has become a bit boring too in my opinion. Back then not only did Michael have good competition who gave a run for his money, but so did the vehicles depending on the location of the race. Multiple tire brands for options meant different strategies involving different mix of variables that had different impact on the race - case in point being the 2005 United States grand prix where only 6 teams running on Bridgestone tires actually could compete in the race due to issues with the Michelin tires (which the rest 14 teams used).

And then there was the factor of the rain where the genius was on a different level. Don't think Lewis Hamilton has such a distinctive characteristic, but irrespective of all aspects, the man is definitely going to go on for atleast 2 more years if not more, creating new records. Except maybe the fan base size that Michael still holds.
All your points PLUS the PERSONALITIES of the time.

The Michael Mika duels.

The raw outright power of the cars prior to the electronic controls that I personally feel have robbed the sport of its romance and character.

All the cars are like cookie cutter versions of the same with different paint jobs and slightly different noses.

And now that cage man. Ewwww ...

And somewhere in between without realising it, a Formula E was spawned. Like watching F1 on mute.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 15th October 2020 at 17:03.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 17:10   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
case in point being the 2005 United States grand prix where only 6 teams running on Bridgestone tires actually could compete in the race due to issues with the Michelin tires (which the rest 14 teams used).

Correction.
It was just 3 teams. And it gave Narain karthikeyan his best career finish.

Gonna slide past the rest of the post.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 20:36   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Michael won races in inferior cars.
Hamilton is no doubt a great driver but I guess there are a few more drivers who could have achieved the same feat as if if they had the right cars, regulations that favoured their cars and the same luck as him

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
He's won because it was the best driver in the best car, at times not the best car, especially the first championship.
If not for the Toyota of Timo Glock retiring Massa would have won the Championship. Hamiltons first title was sheer luck.
Old 15th October 2020, 21:12   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Hamilton is no doubt a great driver but I guess there are a few more drivers who could have achieved the same feat as if if they had the right cars, regulations that favoured their cars and the same luck as him
Agreed. As they have. Schumacher, vettel, Alonso have only succeeded when the cars matched their skills. Vettel, for instance, could only work with Newey's genius. But, the best drivers get the best cars. If you're not in the best one, you've probably got to reevaluate self perception.

Quote:

If not for the Toyota of Timo Glock retiring Massa would have won the Championship. Hamiltons first title was sheer luck.
That's a can of worms. Same could be said for Schumachers first championship.

Last edited by mayankk : 15th October 2020 at 21:14.
mayankk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 17:12   #60
BHPian

Quote:

If not for the Toyota of Timo Glock retiring Massa would have won the Championship. Hamilton's first title was sheer luck.
Glock did not retire. Hamilton overtook him on the last corner of the last lap to gain 5th position.

To give a bit of context, Toyota did not pit its cars for inters when it started raining while the rest of the grid did. By the last lap Glock's tyres were done. Hamilton caught and overtook him and won his first title.

There was no luck involved in 2008. It was a year long battle and the title went down to the last race with LH winning the same.
Yusha is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed