Team-BHP - Formula 1 : The Abu Dhabi GP 2019
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Int'l Motorsport (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intl-motorsport/)
-   -   Formula 1 : The Abu Dhabi GP 2019 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intl-motorsport/216166-formula-1-abu-dhabi-gp-2019-a.html)

The Abu Dhabi GP 2019

Formula 1 : The Abu Dhabi GP 2019-640pxyas_marina_circuit_october_12_2018_skysat_cropped.jpg

Timing (IST)
01 DEC Race 18:40 - 20:40

30 NOV Qualifying 18:30 - 19:30

30 NOV Practice 3 15:30 - 16:30

Circuit Characteristics

Formula 1 : The Abu Dhabi GP 2019-circuit.png

Car Setup
Weather
Name:  weather.png
Views: 739
Size:  40.7 KB

Tyres
Formula 1 : The Abu Dhabi GP 2019-nominations2019ae990832.jpg

2018 race
Hamilton qualified in pole and ran a untroubled race to win the race. Vettel passed Bottas mid race and finished second followed by Verstappen and Riccardo. Bottas finished up fifth.

FP1

FP2

Red Bulls look strong on pace.

Drive on,
Shibu

That was the most underwhelming Qualifying session I’ve seen. And Ferrari as usual has mistimed the release of their vehicles.

Very sad what happened to LEC. And VET still couldn’t get ahead of him.

Although the Abu Dhabi track does not have many long straights, im increasingly beginning to think that Ferrari had some advantage in Qualifying which has been reduced due to the fuel flow regulations. They had managed pole even in Singapore which also does not have many straights. And post this clarification from FIA, Ferrari have struggled massively, even to match Red Bull!
And whats worse is the Race pace! In Brazil and USA the lead drivers including RBR and Merc opened up a quick gap to the Ferraris easily.

This is not a good sign for next year! Just getting frustrated as a fan waiting for a championship win since 2007-08! Top drivers like Alonso and Vettel too could not manage to take the Scuderia to championship winning status. And now Vettel seems well past his prime, its up to Leclerc to put up some kind of a fight next year. But something tells me that its RBR who will eventually take on Mercedes in 2020.

Except for the last 5 laps, the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix was quite boring. Lewis was comfortably leading and not even the most bizarre events would have left him without a win today. Ferrari need to work on their car a lot for 2020, managing tyres seem almost impossible for them. Leclerc was on the mediums and yet he had to pit early whereas Max and Lewis had really long stints.
And Ferrari just do not seem agile with regard to pit stop reactions. Why did they wait for Max to Pass Leclerc and then pit him after some 5 laps? They always had the gap to pit again, so at least Leclerc would have had more laps to catch up, anyway he could not have done that today either way. Only highlight was the way Seb caught up and overtook Albon by closing 1 second per lap. I almost thought he may not be able to do it.
Mercedes seem to have the right amount of downforce, power and the also the ability not to destroy their tyres. Just perfect. And no one is even close as yet. Prepare for another Mercedes dominated year in 2020!

What a drab procession of a race! A fitting end to a season that has been largely forgettable from some exciting racing standpoint. Can't wait for 2021 where hopefully there won't be a yawning gap between the front runners and midfield.

What an utterly boring race :Frustrati. This was more like Formula-YAWN instead of Formula 1. Me & my brother watched 70% of it with the audio muted, while we were generally chatting about life rl:.

F1 had better introduce corrective measures, else it will lose audiences big-time. My free advice = Bring back the damn fuel pitstops! A varying fuel load is the best way to disrupt the field. And if possible, one more tyre manufacturer. The Bridgestone vs Michelin wars were epic!

@GTO; I tend to agree with you. All the race showed was the total dominance of the three pointed star. Only good sign was the emergence of Honda as a GOOD alternate engine supplier.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4703942)
What an utterly boring race :Frustrati. This was more like Formula-YAWN instead of Formula 1.

agree: It was one of the most boring races I've watched.

Quote:

F1 had better introduce corrective measures, else it will lose audiences big-time. My free advice = Bring back the damn fuel pitstops! A varying fuel load is the best way to disrupt the field. And if possible, one more tyre manufacturer. The Bridgestone vs Michelin wars were epic!
agree: here too. Fuel pit stops were amazing, there was always an adrenaline rush. And I would love to see atleast 2 if not 3 tyre companies getting back to it.

Heard that Hamilton may switch to Ferrari after 2021. That will be something. Imagine Big F with Hamilton & Verstappen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4703942)
What an utterly boring race :Frustrati. This was more like Formula-YAWN instead of Formula 1.

By summer break, the championship was already decided. So this was expected to happen. Bottas was nowhere near in the standings to provide entertainment like 2016. I haven't watched a race since Spa, the first time its happened in many years.

Even with a car having throttle issues the Red Bull was fast. Looks like its finally has an engine that can match it's chassis brilliance. To me with both championships in the bag, the only aspect that could spice up the race was the fight for third place. However with Ferrari inexplicably being a shadow of it's pre Austin form, the best Leclerc could manage was challenging Verstappen for half a corner before the RB disappeared into the shadows.

Initially the way Vettel challenged Vestappen during the first two laps, I though that Ferrari would take the fight to the wire. I think with DRS Vettel may have had a chance to pass Verstappen. It is also a question as to how the lack of DRS for a few laps may have had an impact on strategies.

Mclaren look to have made the most improvement this year and to have Sainz nail 6th in the championship was a great way to roundup what has been a great return to competitiveness. It would be great to have them back fighting for the championship.

At the end of the season what agurs well for the sport is the great spurt of talented youngsters who were there in the 2019 season. Russell, Lando, Albon, Sainz, Gasly and even Kvyat are great finds.
Drive on,
Shibu.

I think next years WDC will be the one to watch for:

1. Hamilton will want to supersede Schumachers record.
2. Bottas probably has one last chance at the WDC before regulation change and being dumped by merc.
3. Leclerc will no longer have trippy feet at the start of the next season. He will go all guns blazing for the WDC. Ferrari will be very hangry.
4. Vettel can no longer be where he is. He will be pushing hard to stay abreast of everyone vying for the WDC.
5. Max and red bull will both be baying for blood.

I think all the cars will be at the top of their game for next year. This time none of them will have any excuses. It’s do or die before the new regulations take effect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgiitk (Post 4704951)
Heard that Hamilton may switch to Ferrari after 2021. That will be something. Imagine Big F with Hamilton & Verstappen.

There have been some rumors on the same post the Abu Dhabi race Lewis has kind off indicated that he fancies himself in the red overalls. If that would happen would Seb take lewis place at Merc???

If Merc pulls out of F1 at the end of 2020, with McLaren becoming the primary Merc engined car, there is actually no other place for Lewis to move to, other than Ferrari.

Mercedes could pull out and focus on Formula E.