Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2020, 12:04   #16
BHPian

Re: 2021 Formula 1 silly season

Ferrari should also pursue Carlos Sainz rather than Danny Ric because I feel Sainz will be more willing to play second fiddle to Leclerc than Ricciardo. Ricciardo left Red Bull because Max was getting preferential treatment. I don't think Ferrari can handle two No.1 drivers as was seen last season.
Giving Seb more than a year extension wouldn't be that favorable for Ferrari as he is not as consistent these days and definitely wouldn't want to be a No.2 to Charles.
Old 28th April 2020, 08:28   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulcmoulee View Post
Ferrari should also pursue Carlos Sainz rather than Danny Ric because I feel Sainz will be more willing to play second fiddle to Leclerc than Ricciardo. Ricciardo left Red Bull because Max was getting preferential treatment. I don't think Ferrari can handle two No.1 drivers as was seen last season.
Giving Seb more than a year extension wouldn't be that favorable for Ferrari as he is not as consistent these days and definitely wouldn't want to be a No.2 to Charles.

On the contrary I think Ferrari should go for 2 young, but rising drivers. They have Leclerc as one of them, and clearly Ricciardo is considered as one among the best in the grid. He may not have the raw talent like Max or even Hamilton, but he makes it up by his consistency and has the ability to overtake without causing collateral damage.

Also, Ferrari cannot afford to completely back Leclerc for the next 3 years. He is just 2 years in F1 and will make a few mistakes here and there, and he may not be the right guy to provide the best feedback to the engineers on development. Sainz is well backed by his family and he has the legacy of his father to live up to, so if you put him in a Ferrari and ask him to constantly give way to Leclerc he may not adhere all the time. He will revolt, Carlos Sainz SR would then talk something up, just like how we have Jos Verstappen doing a lot of times. Agreed that Carlos Sainz SR has stayed away from F1 discussions until now, but when his son gets a seat in Ferrari and is treated as a no:2 and the news is all across Europe, he will react!

Ferrari do not have a winning car at least not for the next 2 years, so no point in giving one driver a higher status than the other, when everyone knows that they cannot win either of the championships, so rather focus on getting the best 2 drivers on board and get a balance on team orders.
Old 12th May 2020, 06:30   #18
Senior - BHPian

It's a long shot but I'm now hoping this round of musical chairs ends up with Ricciardo at McLaren. With Merc engines coming too, it might be fun times again for us long suffering McLaren fans.
Old 12th May 2020, 08:17   #19
BHPian

Big news coming in last night! Seb and Ferrari are parting ways at the end of this year after failing to agree on a new deal.

Seb has reportedly received offers from Renault and McLaren, hinting at a probable driver swap between the 2 teams. Either Sainz or Ricciardo to replace Seb at Ferrari.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14...at-end-of-2020
https://www.planetf1.com/news/sebast...l-2021-offers/

Last edited by rahulcmoulee : 12th May 2020 at 08:28.
rahulcmoulee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 13:09   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulcmoulee View Post
Seb has reportedly received offers from Renault and McLaren, hinting at a probable driver swap between the 2 teams. Either Sainz or Ricciardo to replace Seb at Ferrari.
Oh, man! I was hoping they will re-sign their last WDC yet again!

No Alonso to Ferrari rumors yet?
Old 12th May 2020, 13:18   #21
BHPian

Offcial statements from Mattia Binotto and Sebastian Vettel.

https://www.ferrari.com/en-EN/formul...their-contract
Old 12th May 2020, 14:13   #22
Senior - BHPian

2021 Formula 1 silly season

Although i was quite sure of this outcome, I was secretly hoping that Ferrari and Seb reach a two year deal.

The way I see it, I think its a good decision for both Ferrari and Seb. As we all know, Seb has been under immense pressure from day one at Ferrari to bring home the championship and he was failed for 5 years now. Not that Ferrari gave him a championship winning car, but the expectation was always there. Sure, Ferrari had a very good car in 2018, but the car was never really better than Mercedes.

And Seb seems to have this self imposed pressure, which makes it harder for him to continue in Ferrari. He knows Ferrari would not win in 2020 and nor in 2021. So why stay? I hope he has found a drive with Renault or Mclaren, else it would be a shame that a top driver cannot find a place!

For Ferrari, they have to take tough calls. Seb has been there for 6 years and he is on a $40MN contract. They have signed Leclerc for less than $10MN. They can get Ricciardo for around 25MN and with Leclerc and him, they would be long term.

Lets face it, Mercedes is going to dominate this year and the next, so whats the point of spending so much on a driver who may just be at par with the other guy who you are paying 1/3rd.

Being an ardent Ferrari fan, I believe the team comes first and I have supported all drivers who came in to the team. I did feel that Alonso was more about himself, but when Seb came in, he brought passion in to the team and he drove without fear and pressure in the initial 2-3 years. But finally like all Ferrari drivers who gave in to the pressure, Seb too made too many mistakes last year and the year before. But really sad to see him walk away from Ferrari. He was a true team player, all the way. Wish he drives more freely without pressure at Mclaren or at Renault.

Last edited by motorworks : 12th May 2020 at 14:15.
Old 12th May 2020, 14:35   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

I think Seb will go to McLaren and sainz will swap seats to Ferrari. But then where will ricciardo go?
Old 12th May 2020, 16:00   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I think Seb will go to McLaren and sainz will swap seats to Ferrari. But then where will ricciardo go?
Seb to McLaren is very likely to happen given the switch to Merc power in 2021 and Seb's good relationship with team boss Andreas Seidl. He seems like the perfect driver to help get McLaren out of the midfield and on par with the top teams, just like he did with Ferrari in 2015.
rahulcmoulee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 20:12   #25
Senior - BHPian

Although I don't wish to see it, the most probable outcome here that I can see is Seb hanging the helmet at the end of the season along with his friend Kimi.
Ferrari will choose a clear No. 2 like in old days, and I don't see a No. 2 in either Sainz or Ricciardo.
Although a lot is being made about Vettel to McLaren, it all depends on if Sainz agrees with Ferrari. Secondly, Sainz is completely at home at McLaren.
The more probable switch is Renault, because Ricciardo is not in a happy place right now. He'll be pushing for Ferrari deal. But will Vettel be happy to go to Renault which is as political as Ferrari, and at the moment clearly a second tier team.
One things looks sure, McLaren will the last stop for Vettel, he'll not be looking at any team below the top 4. Only time will tell, where Vettel will land. Last year one German was at the mercy of others, this year another.
Old 12th May 2020, 20:51   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
Although I don't wish to see it, the most probable outcome here that I can see is Seb hanging the helmet at the end of the season along with his friend Kimi.
That would leave only 1 WDC on the entire grid! Interesting times, indeed.
Old 12th May 2020, 23:35   #27
BHPian

What Ferrari really needed is an experienced midtable driver like Sainz , Magnussen or Kvyat.They can't risk it all again by bringing in a driver fighting for the title.

They need to play the trick done by Mercedes.The trick was bringing in a midtable driver (bottas) to support Hamilton. It was a win win situation, as Hamilton could compete for the title with the support of Bottas, and Bottas himself got some podiums( even though he is now competing for the title, he has a good relationship with Hamilton).I mean look at Mercedes with Nico and Hamilton, it was not smooth.

I feel this is the best thing for Ferrari. They have a young driver and what they need is someone with experience. Someone who would be happy playing second pick, someone who would be content by finishing 2nd ,3rd or below.

Last edited by Eshan Joshi : 12th May 2020 at 23:45.
Old 13th May 2020, 09:30   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post

Ferrari will choose a clear No. 2 like in old days, and I don't see a No. 2 in either Sainz or Ricciardo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshan Joshi View Post

They need to play the trick done by Mercedes.The trick was bringing in a midtable driver (bottas) to support Hamilton. It was a win win situation, as Hamilton could compete for the title with the support of Bottas, and Bottas himself got some podiums( even though he is now competing for the title, he has a good relationship with Hamilton).I mean look at Mercedes with Nico and Hamilton, it was not smooth.

I feel this is the best thing for Ferrari. They have a young driver and what they need is someone with experience. Someone who would be happy playing second pick, someone who would be content by finishing 2nd ,3rd or below.

This whole No.1, No.2 driver aspect should be a thing of the past. This may have worked with Hamilton, Alonso and even Seb, but they were all multiple championship winners and demanded that kind of respect and control, and most of the time lived up to it as well. However, it would be a disaster if Ferrari thinks Leclerc is No.1, its too early for that. And you need this kind of hierarchy only when you have a championship winning car, which Ferrari dont have right now. Also Leclerc looked good in front of an error prone Vettel, and he probably didnt have the pressure that Vettel had. So Ferrari cannot hedge all bets with Leclerc and for that reason they should sign Ricciardo.

However it looks like Sainz is the likely replacement and most Italian media seems to be reporting that it would be announced later this week. I have nothing against Sainz, but would have loved to see Ricciardo at Ferrari. Who knows, he might be even better than Leclerc! With Sainz and Leclerc, Ferrari have 2 youngsters who were literally born with a silver spoon, not that it undermines their talent, but sometimes outsiders like Ricciardo have that urge to do more.
Old 13th May 2020, 10:00   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

I think Ricciardo might move to McLaren, and Alonso will head to Renault. Seb will hang his boots up.

Last edited by Red Liner : 13th May 2020 at 10:01.
Old 13th May 2020, 13:13   #30
MCR
BHPian

Looks like Ferrari announcing Carlos Sainz as a replacement to Vettel is imminent.
Many news agencies are reporting it.

Link : https://www.autoweek.com/racing/form...nz-to-ferrari/

Similarly, looks like McLaren have already signed Daniel Ricciardo.

Link : https://www.fr24news.com/a/2020/05/f...los-sainz.html

Some silly rumor links Alonso with Renault. The point to note is Alonso himself announced on Twitter that his plans are set!

Link : https://www.planetf1.com/news/ferrari-2021-predictions/

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks