Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Who will win the premier class MotoGP 2020 Riders Championship title?
Marc Marquez 19 47.50%
Andrea Dovizioso 2 5.00%
Maverick Viñales 1 2.50%
Alex Marquez 0 0%
Fabio Quartararo 9 22.50%
Valentino Rossi 8 20.00%
Any other (please specify)? 1 2.50%
Joan Mir 0 0%
Takaaki Nakagami 0 0%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2020, 20:19   #91
BHPian

Re: The 2020 MotoGP championship thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by YD14 View Post

Rossi joins Petronas SRT

Rossi has finally signed the contract with Petronas for 2021.

Rumor has it that after 2021 he will leave the satellite team and focus on VR46 Motogp team, bringing end to an era.

Demoting him makes it clear that Yamaha no longer expects podiums from him, and most manufacturers are using satellite teams to experiment with new young riders coming from Moto2. I think it is because the sponsors and drona that Rossi has not recieved the goodbye. Despite his deteriorating performance, a good number of fans still come to the circuit just for Rossi.

But I think the era of these pre-Marquez time riders has already come to an end. Lorenzo and Pedrosa have already quit, Rossi will sooner or later join them and Dovi remains unemployed. Well Casey Stoner was a smart one. He left while he was still winning races.
Yaaaaaaawwwwwnnn!!!

It now seems like he’s just being greedy and desperate to hold onto a MotoGP seat. I cannot understand what value additions he will bring to a satellite team that he couldn’t do with the factory team! So much young talent brimming in Moto2, waiting to break into MotoGP yet we are stuck with the old man! Heck, I would’ve preferred Dovi taking a crack at the championship next year on a Yamaha than Rossi.

I have been an ardent fan of his and will always admire his commitment to the sport. But I genuinely feel that his relevance as a rider ended post the 2015 season. I understand that he brings huge viewership and visibility but then, no one is bigger than the sport itself and blocking the seat for a younger talent is just not right IMHO.

Retire already!
Porschefire is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 05:22   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post

I understand that he brings huge viewership and visibility but then, no one is bigger than the sport itself and blocking the seat for a younger talent is just not right IMHO.

Retire already!
+1 on that. He had admitted that Lin Jarvis wanted to fire him but he convinced him otherwise. A clear case of putting money before sportsmanship. Even Drona likes to milk his fanbase. In yesterday's race, when Rossi crashed they kept showing replay of his crash and reactions of his team and himself till the time he entered the garage, while Rins was getting closer to Miller and could have overtaken him anytime.
No doubt he is a legend, but he should have retired as a legend.

On another note, I really want Honda to confirm Taka. This year he has been very consistent. If given the latest bike, he can be a consistent top 6 finisher and podium challenger, which I believe is all Honda wants from its riders except Marc.

But all aside, faces in many teams are shuffling and Ducati is going to bring atleast 2 riders from Moto2 next year. 2021 for sure will have many riders to bet on.

Last edited by YD14 : 28th September 2020 at 05:24. Reason: Small typo
YD14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 08:40   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YD14 View Post
+1 on that. He had admitted that Lin Jarvis wanted to fire him but he convinced him otherwise.
I happened to catch a bit of the press conference and it was evident that Jarvis was trying hard to keep a calm and happy face while justifying as to why this was good for Yamaha!

Quote:
A clear case of putting money before sportsmanship.
+1. Arranging funds for the VR46 MotoGP team, maybe?

Quote:
On another note, I really want Honda to confirm Taka. This year he has been very consistent. If given the latest bike, he can be a consistent top 6 finisher and podium challenger, which I believe is all Honda wants from its riders except Marc.
Agree. Taka and Miller deserve factory rides. Why not swap Petrucci/Miller and Bradl/Taka for this season? Easier said than done I guess but not impossible.

The Suzuki boys, wow! It seems like it doesn't really matter where they qualify on Saturday because on Sunday, either (or both) of them will be on the podium for sure!

Last edited by Porschefire : 28th September 2020 at 09:09.
Old 28th September 2020, 09:38   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
The Suzuki boys, wow! It seems like it doesn't really matter where they qualify on Saturday because on Sunday, either (or both) of them will be on the podium for sure!
You know I was thinking the same during last 2 races. The Suzuki riders seems to be the ones riding the smartest right now in the paddock. While Rins did have issues with his crash and fitness. Mir has been nothing short of a masterclass ride planning. While everyone else just wanted to do anything and get ahead , they bided their time and stuck at the right point and cleanly too.

If that is not epicness and presence of mind I don't know what is.

And I don't know if you guys caught MM's press conference where he commented on how Fabio goofed up the championship position, I was wondering if it was just honest feedback or some sneaky mindgames being dished out.

The 2020 MotoGP championship thread-screenshot-20200928-9.36.23-am.png

Looks like Fabio did not take it too well. His celebration post race somehow made me feel it was a "In your face" towards Marq.

Cheers
Krishna
Old 6th October 2020, 13:05   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaprasadgg View Post
And I don't know if you guys caught MM's press conference where he commented on how Fabio goofed up the championship position, I was wondering if it was just honest feedback or some sneaky mindgames being dished out.

Looks like Fabio did not take it too well. His celebration post race somehow made me feel it was a "In your face" towards Marq.
Actually no, Marquez did make an honest remark, as everyone who was rooting for Quartararo this year felt let down by his performance after Jerez (including himself)

In the press conference after the win, he said "Not just Marquez, even I expected more from myself". He also went on to admit that after the two wins, getting results like 7th, 8th, 13th, and then a crash, it wasn't easy to pull himself together and that is why this win feels much more special than the ones at Jerez.

And I hope that he pulls his act together and focusses on the championship from now on, because Mir is coming.

+0.8 Mir reads the "championship pit board" (just 8 points behind Fabio)

On another note, we should seriously consider adding Joan Mir, to the names of the 2020 Championship winner on our poll now
aravind.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 18:05   #96
BHPian

What a Race!
What a Race at LeMans!

Another winner for 2020 - Danillo and a fabulous 2nd place for Alex; coming from 18th to 2nd in the wet-weather race.

Andrea could not take huge advantage of Fabio dropping places and Joan starting near last; and finished only 4th.

Cant wait for the next race, where Marc is scheduled to return.
Rocky_Balboa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 12:02   #97
Senior - BHPian

The rain and cold weather mixed up the things. Petrucci has always been a good rider in rain. Getting a win must be huge relief.
Great ride by Jr. Marquez , P2 from P18 is commendable. If only he can sort out qualifying. He's been pretty good in races, and finished in points in I guess all the races.

Here's an observation, till now Fabio won all the races in Spain this year and there are four races remaining.
Old 15th October 2020, 23:59   #98
BHPian

Rossi to miss Aragon 1 and 2 as he has tested positive for covid 19.

Last edited by Manoj2268 : 16th October 2020 at 00:12. Reason: Typo
Old 18th October 2020, 20:19   #99
Senior - BHPian

What a race, brilliant ride by Rins and younger Marquez finishing top 2 respectively. Both Alex, starting from P10 and P11 finished P1 and P2. Mir completing the top 3, all spanish podium in Spain. This will give a huge boost to Rins who missed out on wins crashing upfront in two races, plus horrible crash in first race weekend.
8 winners in 10 races, with Mir leading championship without a win under his belt. This season is crazy. Just four races remaining and top four within 20 points, who knows the champion will be.
fz_rider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 21:13   #100
BHPian

Brilliant brilliant race today. Got to witness a lot of epic overtakes!

Rins redeemed himself from the last week blunder. And Alex Marques is just riding a high right now and it is beautiful to watch too.

What is happening to the Yamahas, they seem like a foolish bunch at the moment. They need to figure something out, it's almost like they have no interest in racing and the riders are left desperate with such uncompetitive machines.

Now, something to look out for would be if Alex will ride the same high next week. I hope so. Nothing like spicing up the races a notch more.

This has to be the best season in MotoGP we have got in a long time.

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 23:10   #101
Senior - BHPian

Superb, superb race! Alex Marquez is really coming of age.

It was really fabulous to read Marc’s tweet after the race “I am Alex Marquez’s brother”. After the proud display of affection, I wonder what will happen when they are fighting for the same piece of tarmac.

We are in for a treat in the remaining races of the season and beyond.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 21:39   #102
Senior - BHPian

Nice last few races. TBH, the races are interesting without MM in it.

Rossi - please retire already.
Old 25th October 2020, 20:53   #103
Senior - BHPian

Poor Taka, binned it in first few corners. I expected Alex Marquez to be strong, but unfortunately he too binned it somewhere middle of race. Morbidelli was brilliant today, far cry from team mate Quartararo. Rins again stepped on podium joined by championship leader Mir. Mir hasn't won a race yet ! Are we going to see a champion without a race win ?
fz_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 17:13   #104
Senior - BHPian

With a 14 point lead, and with just 3 races to go. I think the Championship is safely with Joan Mir, and with the consistency he has shown over the last 8 races (6 podiums) I guess he will play it safe and get the Championship.

If not for the disastrous previous weekend for Fabio, he could have been very close to Mir and had a much better chance at the title.

Though I am happy for Suzuki, my heart still wishes that Suzuki got the title with Alex Rins. He crashed out while in 2nd place and while leading in two races so far. He also missed the season's opening round due to injury. If not for those mishaps, he would have been far ahead of Mir by now!
Old 27th October 2020, 19:12   #105
BHPian

@aravind.anand I feel the same. As much as I like Mir's riding this season, I too want to see Alex/Fabio/Franco win the championship rather than Mir

Also, Binder gets a mandatory long lap penalty for causing Miller to crash. Felt a bit harsh but Race Direction gets the last word.

A bit sad to realize only 3 more races are left. Anybody else feels this tighter schedule of races seem more exciting and happening than the longer traditional setting?

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks