Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

View Poll Results: Who will win the premier class MotoGP 2020 Riders Championship title?
Marc Marquez 19 47.50%
Andrea Dovizioso 2 5.00%
Maverick Viñales 1 2.50%
Alex Marquez 0 0%
Fabio Quartararo 9 22.50%
Valentino Rossi 8 20.00%
Any other (please specify)? 1 2.50%
Joan Mir 0 0%
Takaaki Nakagami 0 0%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2020, 13:27   #106
BHPian

Re: The 2020 MotoGP championship thread

Joan or Alex, doesn't matter to me. I'm really happy to see a new talent becoming the World Champion and more so because they are riding Suzukis! What a turn around it has been during the last couple of years for the Japanese manufacturer! I really hope this prompts Kawasaki to enter MotoGP again.

The Yamaha group looks really uninspiring to me. I have been vocal about Rossi's participation and now, I feel Vinales should be swapped with Morbidelli as he been consistently inconsistent for years now! I hope Yamaha can pull up their socks for next year, there is a lot of catching up to do with Honda, Suzuki, Ducati and KTM all looking great. Minus the talented riders, I feel Yamaha is on par with Aprilia in terms of the acceleration. Heck, the Suzukis are neck-neck with the Hondas in a straight line drag, the KTMs and the Ducatis are next level!

Lastly, it has been a fantastic season until now, helped by the absence of the obvious. He will return next year to claim his turf, stronger, wiser and more focused than ever!
Old 2nd November 2020, 14:01   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
I hope Yamaha can pull up their socks for next year, there is a lot of catching up to do with Honda, Suzuki, Ducati and KTM all looking great. Minus the talented riders, I feel Yamaha is on par with Aprilia in terms of the acceleration. Heck, the Suzukis are neck-neck with the Hondas in a straight line drag, the KTMs and the Ducatis are next level!
Engine development is not allowed for any teams other than KTM and Aprillia so no radical new development is going to come from the Yamaha camp for next year. Maybe the new longer exhaust pipes might be adopted which the tests showed to have given the Yamahas a bit more mid-end power.

It's interesting how the new Michelin tyres for this season have put Ducati at such a huge disadvantage. It'll be interesting what's in store for next year from Michelin, hopefully, Ducatis will be much well adjusted to it by then.

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 19:25   #108
BHPian

Finally, a win for JM36! And very well deserved at it.
Suzuki & Joan Mir have simply been the epitome of consistency in Motogp 2020! Rode like champs, both, Mir and Rins. It is quite clear now, Mir is gonna be the 2020 champ! (unless he screws it up big time, twice.)
Cyber_Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 19:33   #109
Senior - BHPian

Mir has done it ! Finally ticked off a premier class win. 1-2 for Suzuki in 28 years. Mir has one hand on the championship, leading team mate Rins by 28 points. Mir can wrap the championship next round.
It looked like the championship will go all the way to last round, but Yamaha/ Petronas faltering this race, nobody in top 10, it had become all too easy for Mir.

BTW, I was the one who voted 'Any Other' in the poll 4-5 months back

Last edited by fz_rider : 8th November 2020 at 19:36.
Old 8th November 2020, 23:45   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
Mir has done it ! Finally ticked off a premier class win. 1-2 for Suzuki in 28 years. Mir has one hand on the championship, leading team mate Rins by 28 points. Mir can wrap the championship next round.
Superb ride by Mir, his 7 podiums and only the first win (in Moto GP and) in the year shows consistency makes champions. His lead over both Rins and Quateraro is 37 (not 28) points with 50 to play for and two races to go. With things as they are, it’s Mir’s championship to lose.

Championship standings:
1. Mir >> 162 points, ahead of FB and AR by 37 points.
2. Quateraro and Rins (joint second) >> 125 points.

Cheers
Old 10th November 2020, 18:11   #111
BHPian

2 new news has broken.

1. MM won't be making a come back this season. Not that it's a shocker at this point.
Source:
https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2020/...in-2021/355763

2. Andrea Iannone has been banned for 4 years by the Court of Arbitration for Sport after his appeal to overturn the 18 months ban. Kinda backfired in his face I think.

Source:
https://everythingmotoracing.com/202...d-for-4-years/

Also, Lorenzo has posted on Instagram in a Q&A session that there is a chance that he might come back to the paddock. Don't know what exactly to make of it. Does he mean as a Testrider/WEildcard entry for Aprilia or is he planning to make a comeback?

Also, I guess we can get to know the fate of Cal & Dovi soon enough

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 09:17   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaprasadgg View Post
2 new news has broken.

1. MM won't be making a come back this season. Not that it's a shocker at this point.
The question in my mind now is, will he return as the same old MM93?

Quote:
2. Andrea Iannone has been banned for 4 years by the Court of Arbitration for Sport after his appeal to overturn the 18 months ban. Kinda backfired in his face I think.
While I do not support doping of any form in any sport, MotoGP is one such where I'm doubtful if artificial enhancements will give any sort of advantage to the rider's performance (as opposed to cycling, running, swimming etc.). Rules are rules, so an 18 month ban was fully justified. But 4 years is harsh IMO. Career, well and truly over now for Iannone.

Quote:
Also, Lorenzo has posted on Instagram in a Q&A session that there is a chance that he might come back to the paddock. Don't know what exactly to make of it. Does he mean as a Testrider/WEildcard entry for Aprilia or is he planning to make a comeback?
Will be pleasing to see Lorenzo on the track for sure but there is a looming rumor that Rossi will be extending his influence to get Bezzecchi the ride.

Quote:
Also, I guess we can get to know the fate of Cal & Dovi soon enough
Will be sad to not see these gentlemen of riders next year!
Porschefire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 10:36   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Have been wondering about that myself. But I don't think Marq could sleep peacefully at night unless he gives it his all in every race. So unless he is not fully recovered I think we will see the old MM itself and that will be a treat to watch.
The only concern is still the hush talks going around is that the nerve damage is much worse than they anticipated. Hope he makes a 100% recovery.

Quote:
But 4 years is harsh IMO. Career, well and truly over now for Iannone.
So true. 18 months would have been enough. Even though I never appreciated him being keener on modeling more than the GP races and prep(He has missed training and test for getting cosmetic surgery and modeling photoshoots) he was no doubt one gem of a rider and truly earned his nickname for that matter. Not sure if he will be missed as much though, not one mention of him has been made throughout the season so far.

Quote:
Will be pleasing to see Lorenzo on the track for sure but there is a looming rumor that Rossi will be extending his influence to get Bezzecchi the ride.
The ROI of investing in young riders vs older/retired riders is pretty clear to most teams. If you look at the 2021 lineup itself. There hasn't been a more capable grid than what we have set for next year. It's going to be exciting to say the least

Quote:
Will be sad to not see these gentlemen of riders next year!
Dovi did just mention his sabbatical plan for 2021. I really thought the Apreillia seat would be a showdown between him and Cal.

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 13:34   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

While I do not support doping of any form in any sport, MotoGP is one such where I'm doubtful if artificial enhancements will give any sort of advantage to the rider's performance (as opposed to cycling, running, swimming etc.). Rules are rules, so an 18 month ban was fully justified. But 4 years is harsh IMO. Career, well and truly over now for Iannone.
MM93 has perhaps made the most sensible, calculated decision of his life (rumours aside). His medical team may be of the opinion that even if there is a 100% recovery by Portimao, why risk a return for one race, what’s to gain? A crash in the nascent stages of recovery may again be a setback. After this season ends he has around three more months before he rides a bike in anger again. Plenty of time to forget this whole thing, train properly and attack the championship again. Surely he will be the same mad Marc Marquez next year.

A four year ban for the Maniac is harsh in my opinion too, however the governing body must have surely done a thorough investigation and deemed it necessary to set an example/precedent for the future. No one (with half a brain) will dare to take risks with anything related to drugs going ahead.

Drug enhancements work on the mind as much as the body. Imagine a drug induced state of mind which does not tire him at all thru a gruelling race. This alone would give him a huge unfair advantage against the entire grid.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 19:33   #115
BHPian

Spolier alert !!!

Joan Mir World champion 2020!!!!

What consistency, well done champ.

Franco morbidelli won the race.

Last edited by SideView : 15th November 2020 at 19:36.
SideView is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 19:35   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Brilliant last-lap battle between Morbidelli and Miller.

Suzuki wins it after a long gap and Mir wins his first won't be his last either from they way he is consistent and calculates his moves. Mir didn't get a single vote in the list above

Yamaha wins half the races but spread across its riders, wont help in winning a rider championship. Fabio just waned away in the 2nd half of the season while Franco went better.

Last edited by nkrishnap : 15th November 2020 at 19:37.
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 19:57   #117
Senior - BHPian

Consistency won the championship for Mir !
A very level headed champion. Both the Suzuki riders are very cool and calm, and are the ones to beat next year.
Again Morbidelli was brilliant, leading the race from front. Miller was fantastic, a very carefully calculated ride by him, he almost won.
Finally congratulations to Suzuki for team championship, they can wrap up the constructor championship too next race if they beat Ducati.

Image source: twitter
Attached Thumbnails
The 2020 MotoGP championship thread-em3ngvexmagpodj.jpeg  

fz_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 10:22   #118
Senior - BHPian

Joan Mir had incredible consistency - taking 7 podiums from the last 10 races. This is contrasting to the second half that Fabio Quartararo has had - his best finish in the last 5 races was a 7th place, with 2 DNFs including yesterday's race.

And, what a terrific race Franco Morbidelli had yesterday! He was so consistent and kept calm all through the race, and the last lap was amazing. The way he retaliated all the moves from an attacking Miller with a calm and composed head was a treat to watch. He deserved the win every bit. Also noteworthy was Alex Rins's result - finishing 4th after starting from 14th on the grid, he was very impressive too.

Congratulations to Suzuki on winning the World Championship The fact that they did it with a very small budget and team (bigger than only Aprilia on the grid) makes it even more impressive.

Right after the winter tests, everyone including Dovi and Marquez commented that the Suzuki was the bike to watch out for. But with Alex Rins injured and a DNF for Mir, they had a poor start. But soon they came to strength and took over the Championship in the second half of the season. if not for the 2 crashes for Alex Rins - once while leading and the other while in 2nd place, he would have been leading the Championship by now, and Suzuki would have won the constructors and a Team championships also yesterday. Now they have to wait for the Finale at Portimao to win the other two championships.

Most Viewed