Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2020, 13:38   #16
Mik
BHPian

Re: Michael Schumacher named the Most Influential Person in F1 history

Been a Schumi fan since 1995. His greatness transcends the sport.
Something I witnessed on a train journey once in 2004.
Two students from a rural background were discussing sports. As they went from sport to sport, it was obvious cricket was the only thing they actually had any idea about. When it came to motor racing this is what the guy said "kuch pata nahi par yeh pataa hai ke jab se paida huuye hai shumakar jeet raha hai" ("have no idea but all I know is that since I was born, Schumacher has been winning")
Mik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 15:21   #17
BHPian

Schumacher is to F1 what Michael Jackson was to pop. You may not know anything about either domain, but you'd know both of them.

Now that, is influence.

My prayers are with him. Hope he regains his health soon.
Tassem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 19:44   #18
BHPian

There could be debates on who was the greatest F1 driver ever. But Michael Schumacher was the most influential person in F1 in my opinion. He was what Sachin Tendulkar for Cricket, Tiger Woods for Golf or Michael Jordan for the NBA or Maradona for football. It's almost impossible to think of any of these sports without remembering any of those legends. Most of us still go back to those old videos of Sachin despite the fact that there have been explosive batsmen like Brian Lara, Chris Gayle, Dhoni, Kohli etc. There's something special about Sachin and the same goes for Michael.

Michael Schumacher came at an era where the population of developing countries was having more and more access to TV and global sports. His fierce driving style and winning streak soon won him millions of fans. The association to Ferrari took it to another level as the legendary team had an aura that drew fans even when they weren't having title worthy cars while they signed Michael. Many like me just watched the F1 to watch Michael's driving more than the Ferrari team or the F1 sports. I wasn't old enough to deduce what makes him different from the rest. I was too young to know even driving. But there was something about him that kept me hooked on to the sports.

Michael had a winning streak with Ferrari and won 5 Championships with them. Some say it was because of the supeiority of the car. But then it was Michael who pulled Ferrari to a title winning team along with Jean Todt. His ability of providing feedback and inputs on car development is well known. It took him and the team another two years to put Ferrari on the front row, not to forget he moved to Ferrari from a championship winning Benetton. His wins with the Ferrari were well deserved. He had lost many Championship possibilities in the later years due to the under-performing car that spawned from the new regulations. Comparatively, Lewis Hamilton had a superior car for most part of his career. Michael had that edge only for a few years in his career and he made the most of it.

There was a time for me when I had a doubt if he deserved the legend status especially because of the superior car argument and some questionable incidents. I was starting to think Senna was much superior. But then watching more and more races form the Senna era, I couldn't help drawing some parallels between the two. Both were fierce on track and both ended up making some deliberate mistakes in the quest to the podium. But that isn't enough to forget the brilliant drives both of them put on over the years. Even when Michael was driving for the under-performing Mercedes team in a car that wasn’t developed with his driving style in mind, he managed to put on some good drives. The 2011 Canadian GP saw Michael outperforming most in the wet track. The rain often separates the best from the rest putting driver's talent to test over car's capability. The 1996 Spanish GP is another testimony for why he deserves the nickname 'Rainmaster'.

It is impossible to find definitively who the greatest driver was as the eras they drove and the cars they drove different from each other. The competition, the simplicity or complexity of the cars and driving, all are different. Everybody can have their own opinion. Some have deduced that Juan Manuel Fangio was the best by going to the extent that an algorithm was developed to settle the arguments. Some say Senna was the best. For some, it's Lewis Hamilton or Fernando Alonso. But it is impossible to know. There have been brilliant drivers like Stirling Moss who never won a championship mostly because they were driving under-performing cars for most of their careers. But legendary drivers became legends because they had something special in them. And it’s impossible to say that Michael Schumacher didn't deserve to be a legend.
nuew is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 20:21   #19

I feel pretty nostalgic, whenever I hear the name “Michael Schumacher”. Schumi (fondly called by his fans ) was the reason I started watching F1, in the times when Cricket was all that boys talked in sport. During his stint with Ferrari in 2001, I never missed his podium finishes. It was a great joy to see him doing his unique podium jump, fisting in the air and the cuddle with his Mechanics. Finally, I could never forget him for the reason, his birthday falls on Jan 3 and mine on Jan 2.

My wishes and prayers for Schumi!
anbusatish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 23:11   #20
BHPian

Hmmm. MS transcends the sport as a human being. But to bring Senna into this discussion and repeat the proverbial "Senna is overrated" is ridiculous. Senna in Brazil is as special as any sports figure in any country (same league as Pele BTW) - he could swipe the floor with anyone on an F1 track on comparable machinery regardless of conditions. They were both nice as long as you did not compete against them in an F1 race. Nice guys finish last. Those who want to indulge more - watch "Last Dance" series - this is about MJ23 one of the greatest athletes. BTW I became a die hard MS-Ferrari fan. Relished their joint success. I was never a Senna fan. My "heart" always belonged to Alesi and Ferrari. I remember when MS ran into the back of DC at Spa in rain and when he hit the wall in Monaco after starting from Pole and when his Ferrari broke in Magny Cours even before the race started (If I recall, he started from Pole). MS was a great race tactician (esp. with RB) and an amazing team builder (but never had a team mate who was competitive) I was fortunate enough to see him live at Monza (tussling with Montoya) and Indy (MH's brakes catching fire) when he won and went home in tears from the grand stands when his car broke down in Montreal - drive shafts falling off and all. He is one of the greatest drivers ever. Most influential person ever? May be. Would I consider him the most influential out right of all times? no. BTW I not only followed F1, but taped every qualifying session and race. Have 100s of tapes lying around from early 91. I was fortunate enough to have a boss much older who educated me about legendary drivers of the past that he had watched live - including Gilles V, Jim C, Graham H etc.

Last edited by ksanjee : 16th May 2020 at 23:39.
ksanjee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2020, 11:16   #21
BHPian

Influential + skilled + racecraft=Schumacher
God given talent + intuitional driving = Senna
I'm not saying that Schumacher did not have God given talent nor am I saying that Senna did not have racecraft. It's just that these prime qualities were in abundance.
That being said, neither of them were very easy on their opponents. Senna used ruthless, on track driving to get on top while Schumi used mental games to equal effect. Who can forget the umpteen victims of the Schuey chop?
Having grown up watching both of them in their prime, both adorn a space on my wall..
Off topic: Marc Marquez on two wheels is the exact image of Senna with a healthy dose of Schumacher potion. God given talent, intuitional abilities, racecraft, influence and unbelievable skills.

Last edited by roadrunner_nv : 17th May 2020 at 11:17.
roadrunner_nv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 15:10   #22
BHPian

Michael undoubtedly is one of the greatest F1 drivers.

But also a cheat (Parking in Monaco), amoral (driving into people) and various other shenanigans on the race track- Unfortunately this is what some people will remember him.
Above comments, will not be well received by his fans
Old 18th May 2020, 16:17   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Just watched Ayrton Senna decimate the competition and win the European Grand Prix 1993 beating Demon Hill and Alain Prost. On a rainy day and challenging conditions, he was on another gear altogether. Star Sports Select is airing F1 classics from the years gone by in these lockdown days and it was wonderful to go back to youthful days once again.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 20:40   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalu View Post
Michael undoubtedly is one of the greatest F1 drivers.

But also a cheat (Parking in Monaco), amoral (driving into people) and various other shenanigans on the race track- Unfortunately this is what some people will remember him.
Above comments, will not be well received by his fans
He learnt it all from the biggest cheat of all time, Senna. When Schumacher complained about Senna's driving nobody said anything about it so he started driving like that as well, look at post #8 of this thread to watch the videos i linked or just watch the videos on the link below

https://www.youtube.com/user/swallowAyrtonSenna/videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
Just watched Ayrton Senna decimate the competition and win the European Grand Prix 1993 beating Demon Hill and Alain Prost. On a rainy day and challenging conditions, he was on another gear altogether. Star Sports Select is airing F1 classics from the years gone by in these lockdown days and it was wonderful to go back to youthful days once again.
You should watch the Spanish GP of 1996, great display of skill there as well

Revmatch99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 22:11   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revmatch99 View Post
He learnt it all from the biggest cheat of all time, Senna. When Schumacher complained about Senna's driving nobody said anything about it so he started driving like that as well, look at post #8 of this
Hey bud Revmatch99, please don’t make it a slanging match between Senna and Schumi. I understand you love Schumi but that doesn’t make Senna a lesser driver. You have made your preference clear but I guess few do have the prerogative to choose Senna as the greatest in their book as well. It’s appalling to think that Schumi learnt to cheat from Senna. Both are legends in their own bracket, let it remain that way. Everyone has their own opinions you see. This poll was never about greatness but influence and Schumi has got the fan’s vote, so there,

Cheers
Old 19th May 2020, 01:05   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Hey bud Revmatch99, please don’t make it a slanging match between Senna and Schumi. I understand you love Schumi but that doesn’t make Senna a lesser driver. You have made your preference clear but I guess few do have the prerogative to choose Senna as the greatest in their book as well. It’s appalling to think that Schumi learnt to cheat from Senna. Both are legends in their own bracket, let it remain that way. Everyone has their own opinions you see. This poll was never about greatness but influence and Schumi has got the fan’s vote, so there,

Cheers
I didn't start the slanging match, you were the one who brought up Senna in a Schumacher thread and started calling Schumacher a cheat, i see Senna fanboys everywhere calling Schumacher a cheat and Senna the greatest but forget that Senna drove dirtier than Schumacher, and when you start showing them the ugly side of Senna they resolve to saying "both are legends".It just gets annoying, every time you see people bringing up Senna everywhere and calling Schumacher a cheat and using that as an excuse to put him down but they're oblivious about the cheating that Senna did which was worse.
Old 19th May 2020, 08:07   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revmatch99 View Post
I didn't start the slanging match, you were the one who brought up Senna in a Schumacher thread and started calling Schumacher a cheat, i see Senna fanboys everywhere calling Schumacher a cheat and Senna the greatest but forget that Senna drove dirtier than Schumacher
First things first:
1. I am not getting any younger but still, can you please quote where did I call Schumacher a cheat ?

2. I did not know that bringing Senna’s name in a Schumacher thread is blasphemous !

3. I am way past the age of fanboys and not here to cheer lead anyone.

Please maintain the decency of a healthy discussion with civility. Let this thread be about Schumacher and F1 and not your fandom. You have your opinion and I respect that but that’s about it.

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 19th May 2020 at 08:19.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 10:17   #28
BHPian

Quote:
First things first:
1. I am not getting any younger but still, can you please quote where did I call Schumacher a cheat ?

2. I did not know that bringing Senna’s name in a Schumacher thread is blasphemous !

3. I am way past the age of fanboys and not here to cheer lead anyone.

Please maintain the decency of a healthy discussion with civility. Let this thread be about Schumacher and F1 and not your fandom. You have your opinion and I respect that but that’s about it.
You didn't call him a cheat directly @Chalu did but since you quoted my post which was directed to him i got confused between you two, anyway you did question his "sportsmanship" for which i did show proof that Senna wasn't a saint either.
Old 19th May 2020, 10:37   #29
BANNED

Became a fan of him when I watched F1 replay on star sports at my aunt's house in 93. I used to rewatch the race just to see his driving. Some of his races were unbelievable, and he showed his class in rain. I remember in Belgian 98 race, when Coulthard took him out, he overtake his car when his car was missing two wheels!

Lastly, I am such a fan of him, that my password has his name in it
DarthVeda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 11:16   #30
BHPian

I think my post has touched a raw nerve with Schumi fans.

2 wrongs don't make it right. Bringing Senna to justify Schumi's actions is hilarious.

Again they are great drivers in their own ways but once you start defending their actions you are on a slippery slope where the rationale takes a back seat.

Personally started following F1 from 1998 - Am happy that I witnessed some of the greatest drivers during this period such as Hakkinen, MSC, Kimi, Alonso, Hamilton (in no particular order).

Guys hope 2020 season starts ASAP.

Peace out
Chalu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks