Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2020, 20:54   #16

Re: Williams F1 Team. Going once. Going twice. Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
I feel this is great news really! For Williams and the world of F1 in general. Hear me out!

1) There is a question in F1 which I am sure most have heard. That is, 'How to make a small fortune in F1'? And the obvious answer is to begin with a large one. So, I am glad the team didn't fold and were able to find a good buyer in Dorilton Capital. And the name of the team is going to stay. So, it looks like Dorilton really knows what they are buying into.

2) Now, is that valuation low? Not at all in the current scenario. All assets have dropped in value. And, if there is liquidity, it is the right time to acquire other assets. So, the numbers are just that! Extremely relative! Besides, Frank has been able to save numerous jobs in these trying times with this deal.

3) Does it mean, it's a bad deal for Dorilton? Again, not at all! It is no coincidence that the news of this acquisition follows the new Concorde agreement which was signed last week by all teams. That was a big win for Liberty and the future of F1. With the proposed budget cuts, and other regulations, small teams like Williams will definitely have a shout at glory again!

Frank has lived his entire life with his heart fighting multiple odds and he along with Patrick Head has taken the team as far as he could. Also, it must be great to have a child in Claire who goes by the same principles in life! So, thank you, Williams team! And all the best!

PS: I feel the title of this thread is a little disrespectful to the great team! Also, there is a typo in the new owner's name!
First off, I'm sorry about the typos! My bad! Also, you've just brought the disrespectful side of the thread title to my notice, and I agree with you and I guess I was a little too harsh, but I meant no disrespect whatsoever.

Now, I love the points that you've mentioned here.
It's amazing that their new investor, Dorilton Captial, really respect the team for what it is and the history that they have with the sport, and they seem like they understand that aspect of the team really well, so that's great!

I hadn't actually thought about this acquisition as much as you did, and you gave me quite a few answers to questions I hadn't asked myself yet, so thanks a ton for that!

I'm extremely sad about the fact that the team is no longer owned by the Williams family, because Frank did a phenomenal job with the team, and I really want to say again that I meant no disrespect to the team in any way, whatsoever. I'm as sad as every Formula 1 fan around the world is, but it does look like this ensures a secure future for the team in the sport, and I hope that they find their way back to the top, which is where they belong.
Old 26th August 2020, 21:01   #17

Re: Williams F1 Team. Going once. Going twice. Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
One hand, its sad to see Williams leave the family. Its been with Frank for so many years and has achieved so much in this time that it is sad to see it go to someone else.

On the other hand, there will be some fresh investments coming in, maybe some new guys and some new ideas. With the changes in the regulations coming up, this would be an ideal opportunity for Williams to bounce back and get to the front of the field. I am sure F1 fans want to see the one-great time fight it out with the leaders again instead of languishing at the back.

Wonder if this will affect the driver line-up at Williams. Russell has been impressive and he needs a much better car to show his true capabilities.
I agree with you, and I do hope that the new owners and the financial backing they provide is all Williams need to get back to the top.

About their driver lineup. I don't think that there'll be any changes to that up until the end of next year, because Russel does have a contract with them up until the end of 2021, and Latifi, till 2022. Also, considering what he does with the current Williams FW43, bringing it into Q2 and putting up some stellar drives, a better car would really show us what the young talent is truly capable of, and I'm really looking forward to seeing that.
Old 27th August 2020, 08:38   #18
Team-BHP Support

Re: Williams could sell the F1 team due to financial woes. EDIT: Sold

The Netflix series, Drive to Survive, gave a nice insight into the functioning of all the teams, Williams included. Given that most F1 teams are the side-thing of their parents' main business, they have the cushion and flexibility of a size-able pool of money to dip in. So, they can pull in as much budget for R&D as they can reasonably justify.

The top tops are averaging a $ 450+ million, while the bottom ones are one-fourth of that!

https://www.essentiallysports.com/wh...ne-teams-2019/

Teams such as Williams that are solely in F1 then have to depend on sponsorships significantly for their budget. And then, there's the vicious cycle of not having a large budget - not having the best car - not performing at the top - losing sponsorships.

We'll soon find out how beneficial capping a team's R&D budget will be.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 17:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

Re: Williams could sell the F1 team due to financial woes. EDIT: Sold

It’s the end of an era at Williams as the team announced Deputy Team Principal Claire Williams is to step down from her role after this weekend's Italian Grand Prix, with the Williams family ending their involvement in the team Sir Frank founded.

Quote:
“It is with a heavy heart that I am stepping away from my role with the team. I had hoped to continue my tenure long into the future and to preserve the Williams family’s legacy into the next generation,” said Claire.
Source - F1.com
RM Motorsports is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 16:52   #20
BHPian

Williams family exit F1. New owner will retain name of iconic Constructor.

After the Monza GP last weekend, the Williams family bid farewll to F1. In late August, the team had announced the sale to the new owners Dorilton Capital, an American investment firm. The new owner will retain the Williams chassis and team name. Sir Frank Williams, the founder of the team completed 50 years as Team Principal last year.

Source
adwaith is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed