Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2020, 08:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

6 Formula One drivers refuse to take the knee

It's debatable whether this thread goes under Racism (Shifting Gears) or Racing (Motorsport).

In what can be seen as a clear rebuff to carrying racism to racing, 6 formula one drivers chose not to take the knee before the Austrian race. They say they do not think taking a knee is required to demonstrate their feelings and although they did not say so in so many words it is obvious that they thought that taking the knee was a bit much.

Ferrari's Charles Leclerc, Red Bull's Max Verstappen , McLaren's Carlos Sainz, Alfa Romeo team-mates Kimi Raikkonen and Antonio Giovinazzi, and Russian Daniil Kvyat were among six drivers who opted not to take the knee.

Quote:
Hamilton has claimed that division between his fellow drivers over the gesture, which is associated with the Black Lives Matter movement, is further proof of racism in Formula One.

Leclerc said "I believe that what matters are facts and behaviours in our daily life rather than formal gestures that could be seen as controversial in some countries.
And so, the over zealous attempt to bring anti racism / BLM / call-it-whatever-you-like movement into F1 has not only backfired but snowballed into yet another unnecessary controversy.

Maybe someone needs to come up with #StickToRacing.

Link

Last edited by AMG Power : 6th July 2020 at 09:08.
AMG Power is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 09:04   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: 6 Formula One drivers refuse to take the knee

All of them did wear the black tshirts sporting "End Racism" since we're talking numbers.

https://www.firstpost.com/sports/for...e-8561411.html

Everyone (should) have their personal right on how / where to protest and for Lewis to say that everyone not taking the knee = proof of racism in F1 is grossly unfair. There very well might be prevalent racism in the sport, as is in most spheres of life, against people of color or some other metric, but symbolism: taking the knee, wearing black tshirts, painting the car black, aren't the only way to register protest.
libranof1987 is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 09:25   #3
BHPian

Typical media headline trying to sensationalise things which don't need to be blown out of proportion.

Fourteen F1 Drivers take the knee before Austrian GP in solidarity with BLM movement - This headline also says the same story, in a much more positive way, avoiding controversies.
Geo_Ipe is online now   (24) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 10:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

Even the non-kneeling guys were seen with heads down. Maybe they were not comfortable with the kneel down kind of showing sympathy. This shouldn't be news and hope Hamilton does not make a big deal out of this. There is bigger issue and creating more issues for the short term is not the ideal solution.
srishiva is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 11:03   #5
BHPian

I think the drivers were right, nobody can force anyone during a weekend. I personally feel it is not always necessary to do any action that 'shows/displays' you doing the right thing (and not giving a damn otherwise). All this social media frenzy about sickens me. F1 is about racing, and I view it with that intent.
ds.raikkonen is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 11:28   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

It's their wish, what is wrong in that, more then kneeling and wearing t-shirts, it's the action that you take in real life matters. Until they are not indulging in racism, they can tackle the subject as they wish and not be directed. By forcing someone to do something you are taking away his right of freedom too.
AtheK is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 12:14   #7
BHPian

I completely disagree with Hamilton's statement. In parallel I also feel he is carrying an undue amount of pressure being the only black F1 driver and therefore becoming the default flag bearer for this movement (?) in F1. Damned if he does or doesn't.

In today's media circus every act can be twisted either way to suit a narrative. I am glad everyone showed their support with the t-shirt. Other than that if they can ensure they don't practice racism and educate people around them there wouldn't be a need for all this drama in the first place.
mac187 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 14:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

It really doesn’t matter whether one takes the knee or not. Besides being a personal opinion it makes no difference whatsoever, it’s just becoming a photo op. The media as usual blows everything out of proportion to ensure they get coverage, click bait if you will. They should stick to F1 and not make it into something else.

Diversity and all that again sounds like unnecessary propaganda. Ability and attitude are the only things which should be considered for anything. Colour of skin makes no difference again, F1 teams can hardly take someone for the colour of their skin if they have no potential for the hard work, dedication and commitment required for the work that they do.

If everything was governed by what Hamilton is saying, he would never be where he is today. Let’s not forget Ron Dennis (white) saw something in him when Hamilton (black) was only ten years old. Today he is 35 years old and at the top of the pile, which shows it’s not the colour of ones skin, but what one has within which takes a person to the top. Hamilton should be the last person to beat this drum as he and his life are a testament to the fact that talent, hard work, determination and dedication takes a person to the top of their chosen field.

Today mostly (and I say mostly, not all) people are beating this race thing to get something which they don’t deserve or don’t have the potential for, simply for the colour of their skin which should never be allowed.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 14:31   #9
Senior - BHPian

F1, stick to racing please!

F1 management should stick to things that they have control on. They could have plastered the track with #BLM tags all around so it would have got prominent TV time. Asking drivers for their support is one thing, but wasn't it only voluntary to kneel? So where's the question of refusal? Is kneeling the only way to show the support?

What everyone should know is it's not voluntary for anyone to end racism. Nobody should be able to refuse that. That should be the message that should go out. So what does F1 propose to achieve that?

Last edited by SilentEngine : 6th July 2020 at 14:32.
SilentEngine is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 22:05   #10
Team-BHP Support

Re: 6 Formula One drivers refuse to take the knee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
I completely disagree with Hamilton's statement. In parallel I also feel he is carrying an undue amount of pressure being the only black F1 driver and therefore becoming the default flag bearer for this movement (?) in F1. Damned if he does or doesn't.
Although I appreciate Lewis Hamiltons stand, he has made the FI org and the Mercedes team highlight this but everything has its limits, you cannot force things down peoples throats

Daniel Ricciardo spoke about this

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...rand-Prix.html

Some Quotes

Leclerc
Quote:
'I believe that what matters are facts and behaviours in our daily life rather than formal gestures that could be seen as controversial in some countries. I will not take the knee but this does not mean at all that I am less committed than others in the fight against racism.
Verstappen
Quote:
'I am very committed to equality and the fight against racism. But I believe everyone has the right to express themself at a time and in a way that suits them. I will not take the knee today but respect and support the personal choices every driver makes #WeRaceAsOne #EndRacism
Quote:
It has been reported that some drivers felt Hamilton was applying undue pressure on them to prove their anti-racism credentials. The six-time world champion has previously claimed that 'silence is complicity'.
As an aside, in the UK, my buddy had a mixed race activist as a girlfriend. I fully understood her issues but when the activism starts interfering with everything in daily life and shoved down peoples throats, it gets much. My buddy broke up with her within a year

Last edited by ajmat : 6th July 2020 at 22:07.
ajmat is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 23:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

What is annoying is that this whole George Floyd thing is being highlighted because it is an American incident.

We have had two recent incidents in India where individuals were victims of premeditated police brutality.

Does anyone say #IndianLivesMatter?

No, we're busy rooting for the Americans.
AMG Power is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 03:05   #12
BHPian

I am not going to voice my opinion, on the whole, take a knee but I would like to add that Leclerc personally got Bottas and Norris to hold and take a picture with a BLM t-shirt after the podium, therefore I do think that some of them genuinely do care and are trying to make a difference in other ways.

Attaching a picture:
6 Formula One drivers refuse to take the knee-b9723931620z.1_20200705192611_000gvfg9il44.20.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 1st August 2020 at 02:28. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
fastturtle10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 05:49   #13
Senior - BHPian

A storm in a teacup if ever there was one!

It is a click bait - that article and its title. And got no place on this forum if you ask me.

Many things wrong here! First of all, it is up to each individual whether to take the knee or not. And there is no shame or division due to that.

And secondly, Lewis never said that. In fact he said, anti-racism is a 'much bigger issue' than whether individuals participate in a single gesture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis
“Honestly I don’t know everyone’s different reasons or opinions,” he said after yesterday’s race. “I am aware of some opinions from some of the drivers but that’s more a private thing and I wouldn’t like to share. But I think ultimately nobody should be forced to into a scenario where they have to kneel.”.....
Hamilton didn't request F1 drivers take a knee on Austrian GP grid
deetjohn is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 09:44   #14
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Taking a knee would also mean supporting rioters who murdered many innocents. I think F1 should stick to selling Racing, Hamilton, Merch and Red Bull. On the contrary, if everyone is so inclined to take the knee, might as well take an arrow.
Attached Thumbnails
6 Formula One drivers refuse to take the knee-images-20200707t093915.451.jpeg  

Last edited by aah78 : 1st August 2020 at 02:29. Reason: Image inserted in-line.
vredesbyrd is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 10:46   #15
BHPian

Will taking to knees end racism? Why force opinion of someone else to kneel on others? Now that is called Proselytism sort of? The drivers have worn the T-shirts as solidarity and what more is needed? Undue comments by Lewis Hamilton.
wheeledwanderer is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks