Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2020, 20:24   #31
KPR
BANNED

Re: Formula 1 : 2020 British Grand Prix - Silverstone (July 31 - August 2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Ya he was cursing later. The only way it seems mercedes can lose this year.
Yes. What a bad strategy. Only vulnerability of Merc this season could be Tyres. If Max and Redbull waste on such strategies nothing much to say. Already his teammate Albon took the fastest lap at that moment when Max went for tyre change. A first is always a first.
KPR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 20:25   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
What are you talking about? Another corner would have done it!!
It was so on the edge of my seat, I fell off!!
Wow, have never seen such a finish, but I think that investigations will be flying around left and right.
But go 44!!
Ha ha but you can't get just one corner right

Seems this season its all about first 5 laps and then last 5 laps. The season has been a lot of fun, only wished other cars were a bit more competitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Yes. What a bad strategy. Only vulnerability of Merc this season could be Tyres. If Max and Redbull waste on such strategies nothing much to say. Already his teammate Albon took the fastest lap at that moment when Max went for tyre change. A first is always a first.
True a first is a first, but how cool was Hamilton to get the car home. Yes he had the time gap advantage, but still he stayed ice cool to get it home.

Guy is truly a legend.

Last edited by ajmat : 2nd August 2020 at 21:06.
AtheK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 20:31   #33
BHPian

What a Race!!!

Max you had this race buddy! All the race was about those last few laps. Leclerc definitely got lucky.

Also, really felt bad for Hulkenberg, not the comeback he expected.
Mat095 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 20:43   #34
Senior - BHPian

I am sorry for the man who triggered it all. Bottas. Though it ended poorly for him this is exactly what he should do race after race if he does not grab pole. Push Hamilton hard...and force such issues. Bottas did extremely well to stay within 3 seconds of Hamilton all through the race.

Tough luck for Sainz. I guess without Norris pushing him to avoid falling in the clutches of
Riccardo he would have made it in fourth. Another great result for Norris. He is developing into a great driver with excellent racecraft and a cool head.

Vettel was lucky to finish within the points. Albon impressed. Excellent recovery after a penalty which I felt was a bit harsh and an extra pit stop. Raced well to finish within the points. Leclerc is proving to be good for Ferrari though the situation would have been better had Vettel not been forced to sit out FP1 on Friday.

Renault would be happy with the result. Both Riccardo and Ocon finishing within the points. Racing Point unexlicably seems to have run into rough weather. Lance Stroll looked nowhere near the pace displayed in the first 3 races. Maybe that car is tuned to be extremely fast on the slower circuits?

And the million dollar question is what Mercedes should have done with Hamilton? Dangerous racing. Wasn't safety a concern? While it was an edge of the seat affair, I'll like to see consistency. Penalising or warning moving under braking and ignoring the fact that a team continues to race with a delaminating tyre? Kind of questions decision making and priorities.

I am rooting for Bottas. Him stepping up the ante is the only way this season is going to get exciting!

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 20:51   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
I am sorry for the man who triggered it all. Bottas.
Shibu.
It was the Alfa Tauri who started it.
Regarding your point of dangerous driving, refer to Leclerc and the Japanese GP last year.

Nail biting proper race in the last 5 laps nevertheless..
DevilzzzzOwn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 20:57   #36
KPR
BANNED

Albon has the potential. He mess up during qualifier and beginning of race. By the time he finishes it's too late. He has to support Max as he's the only man this season who has all patience to trust his skills and edge out the two Mercs.
Old 2nd August 2020, 20:58   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

The most foolish strategy call was red bull and Max’s pit stop! They should have kept him Out there.
Old 2nd August 2020, 21:02   #38
BHPian

So he did it - won with 3 wheels.
I guess that's the only thing FIA can do to make 2020 interesting . Make the Merc's race with 3 wheels so the other teams can atleast try to catch them
jraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 21:32   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Biggest question: Why did Max come in for tyre change ?
You can always ask in hindsight, just like why didn't Mercedes pit Lewis, he had a 30+ second lead over Max.
Old 2nd August 2020, 21:44   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilzzzzOwn View Post
Regarding your point of dangerous driving, refer to Leclerc and the Japanese GP last year.
Yup, Leclerc was slapped with a post race penalty for dangerous driving which only brings into focus my point on consistency in decisions.

While Alfa Tauri went off on a puncture that has not been confirmed yet, what I meant to say was that the delaminations of the front runners was caused by Bottas pushing Hamilton so hard. Actually if you look at it, it still happened inspite of two safety car period so it is interesting to think about what the situation might have been if the safety cars was not triggered!

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 21:50   #41
BHPian

What a nail biting race in the last laps. It was boring all throughout though, with no swap in top 5 positions except for Sainz.

Hamilton’s heart must have stopped when he picked up that puncture right after Bottas. He was very lucky indeed to finish 1st. 5 more seconds & he would have lost that place.

Also credits where credits are due, it was one hell of a race by Bottas. He pushed Hamilton to his limits. With fastest laps being set one over the other by both of them like “car & mouse”. It’s a shame really that he ended up outside the points.

Coming to Max’s race, it was stupendous. If not for that pit stop, he would’ve snatched that P1 from Hamilton easily. His nail biting moment was all of the last lap, with the gap shrink from 35 seconds to 5. It was a crazy turnout. It’d be a super show next weekend with tyre choices.

Leclerc raced all on his own today. Must have been very lonely like Max’s race. A very lucky consecutive podium for Ferrari.

Tough luck for Sainz with that puncture. He had an impressive drive too.
No last lap wonders by Norris this time, also I didn’t even notice when Ricciardo passed him for P4. Can’t wait for next year for this amazing duo to race from the same team.
Also Albon from P17 to P8 was just as impressive.
And what happened to the Pink Mercedes? Any ideas?
A surprising point finish for Vettel was as unexpected as Leclerc’s podium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
The most foolish strategy call was red bull and Max’s pit stop! They should have kept him Out there.
Hamilton got the puncture in the last lap right after Max’s pit stop, Red Bull couldn’t have known & went for a pit stop for that extra point by doing fastest lap (18+1). It’s as Max said “It was both ‘lucky & unlucky’ at the same time”.
Commentary was slightly misleading as I thought both Mercs have picked up the puncture at the same time.

Neo
neo_narender is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 04:09   #42
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY410 View Post
You can always ask in hindsight, just like why didn't Mercedes pit Lewis, he had a 30+ second lead over Max.
Actually when the camera view showed pit lane I saw this red bull car coming instead of Ham's Merc ! I was like why? It's not at hindsight I'm saying. Hope all the team management there have access to live telecast cameras as well. A very safe approach by otherwise aggressive Max.
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 08:54   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Ya he was cursing later. The only way it seems mercedes can lose this year.
It was a no brainer for Red Bull, to get the extra point for fastest lap. Seeing as the Mercedes cars were cruising up ahead, they wanted to salvage that extra point for Max. Obviously, he could've won the race had he too not blown up his tyres. Another one of those big 'ifs' in F1..

I was surprised the stewards did not ask Mercedes to pit Hamilton as well, seeing as Bottas ran into tyre problems. Silverstone's corners are quite dangerous given the high corner speeds. Hamilton should have pitted on account of tyre (and his) safety.

LeClerc was rewarded well beyond the reach of the Ferrari car, and Verstappen now knows how to beat (to an extent) the Mercedes cars.

But the good news is that next weekend will definitely be a 2 stopper as Pirelli will now mandate it due to softer sets being used!

Last edited by ds.raikkonen : 3rd August 2020 at 09:09.
ds.raikkonen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 09:42   #44
BHPian

What I feel is that Red Bull brought in Verstappen as a precaution as well as going for the one extra point of the fastest lap.
They could not have thought that Hamilton will also have the same fate of that of Bottas.

It was sheer luck that Hamilton won with those three wheels in action.
Otherwise he could have easily gone off the track while trying to slow down which would have given Verstappen the win.

None the less a very exciting race in the end, never would have thought this will happen.

Also I feel Leclerc, has some luck with him too (even if it largely resides on the bad luck for the other racers ) given the package which Ferrari is running.

Can't wait to see the strategy the teams will be following the next weekend.

-Aayush
Agarwal_Aayush is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 14:53   #45
BHPian

When Verstappen Pitted, he had two more laps to go. His In lap was heavily compromised as RB wasn't sure to pit or stay out and save the tyres from a blowout. Since he was going for the fastest lap in the final lap, his out lap was not particularly fast either, as he was priming his KERS systems.
If he had nailed those two laps, maybe he could have gotten the fastest lap(not to the extent he had now) and won the race in the final lap as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks