Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2020, 21:51   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Formula 1 : The 70th Anniversary Grand Prix - Silverstone (August 07-09)

Excellent race after last week's largely lack lustre show. Full of potential right from the start. Pirelli should mix up the tyres this way and ensure that teams need to work for their wins. After all tyre management is the one great leveler.

Full credit to Red Bull and Verstappen for nailing this first through their inspired strategy and then through some excellent driving by Max right down to pushing back on the teams suggestions.

Bottas might be wondering what the hell he should be doing to win races. He either gets trounced by his tem mate or gets into a position where his strategy is sacrificed to meet the team objectives. He should start but pushing the team to select the strategy that is advantageous to him just like Max did and Vettel did in Austria (Race 2). If he does not get into that mode, he is never going to win a race where the team is predisposed to a different leader. Nothing bad in where he is now though - the number 2 guy in the number 1 team.

The Mercedes struggles in the heat and I think this was a problem last year and the year before as well. No other car had tyres as bad as this. Coincidently it is the Racing Points that were closer in this respect. Anyway good that they have an archilles heel in this respect.

Mixed bag for Ferrari. Great result by Leclerc but a terrible race for Vettel for a second race running. He was not happy with the second pitstop as well and said as much. I think both of them are in a relationship that neither is interested in working at. At this rate they are going to end up 5th in the constructors championship.

Alex Albon was another notable, pulling off some great overtaking moves off Raikkonen and Gasly on the outside. Good points for Red Bull for the constructors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_narender View Post
Also why did Vettel spin in the first lap all on his own & later his radio with the engineer stating "This time you messed up"? Any ideas?
Neo
Vettel was not happy that the team put him into traffic after the stop. Here was the full message:

Quote:
“It is in the gap that we didn’t like,” Vettel said.

“We spoke about it this morning. I’ll hang in there but you know that you’ve messed up.”
Drive on,
Shibu

Last edited by shibujp : 9th August 2020 at 21:55.
shibujp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 11:32   #17
BANNED

I think Vettel is becoming a whiner. Great drive by Verstappen. So a Honda on the podium, at the top. i am surprised that Leclerc finished that high. I have written off Ferrari for the season.
Old 10th August 2020, 13:11   #18
Senior - BHPian

Vettel has always been a whiner when things don’t go his way. Brilliant driver on his day as was proven by his four WC’s even though in a vastly superior car than the others. But, his team mate had the same car too for comparison and was never in the picture as such, save the last year with Ricciardo.

As the pundits say, he hasn’t forgotten how to drive, he appears completely demotivated and angry with Ferrari at the way his exit was handled. His mood and relationship with the team seem to dictate his performance level rather than his talent. Though one might argue this is the time to up his game to the highest level and beat Leclerc to show Ferrari they made a mistake. He seems unable to do that. He says there is something wrong with his car, whatever it may be, Ferrari would never sabotage the car as they are massively losing out on Constructor championship points with each race which is the teams main aim.

Maybe Ferrari may choose to drop him early and get in a replacement if things continue like this.

Sad for Bottas, he always seems to lose out in tight situations and have bad luck continually. However, he will continue to be the bridesmaid but not the bride as he lacks consistency which are the hallmarks of a champion or quality required to win a championship.

Brilliant drive and confidence in his ability displayed by Verstappen, deserved the win. Imagine him as Hamilton’s team mate, what fun would it be for us, though it will never happen.

Let’s see how this goes and hope things stay exiting for us in front of the TV.

In comparison, with Marc Marquez out of the equation Moto GP is way, way more exiting and fun to watch over F1.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 10th August 2020 at 13:13.
Cyborg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 13:43   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Maybe Ferrari may choose to drop him early and get in a replacement if things continue like this.
In a way, may be that's what Vettel wants too! In a normal season i think this would have happened, but things are so uncertain this season. Even having two drivers to line up at the grid itself can be challenging as Racing Point found out previous race!

If at all Ferrari seriously consider dropping Vettel, then it's probably going to be a swap with Giovinazzi. It's unlikely Sainz will be released from McLaren mid-season. Vettel will have to see off rest of the season with his old mate Raikkonen at Alfa Romeo. Imagine two world champions lining up at back of the grid every race!
SilentEngine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 17:00   #20
BHPian

I believe the difference between Bottas and Hamilton strategy was due to Hamilton doing some thinking himself rather than leaving it to the race engineer/James Vowles alone. He has the capability to do these himself while driving in the race. Bottas simply agreed to what he was told (as he has done quite a few times) and ended up 3rd. Although I have the feeling he is not 'allowed' to think by James Vowles, given the radio calls we have seen so far in his F1 career at Mercedes.

But Max, oh man, this guy is literally saving F1 right now. Amazing strategy and drive by the Dutchman and threw dirt in the visor of Mercedes drivers for the first time this year. Hope Ross Brawn and Pirelli will give aggressive tyre choices for Spain as well, as the loading levels are similar to Silverstone, weather too.

Vettel, though, have to feel for him. This was his 4th spin that I can recall and that too looked like a rookie spin, all by himself! He has probably never recovered after crashing out at the 2018 German GP. Has been a different driver post that weekend.

Last edited by ds.raikkonen : 10th August 2020 at 17:02.
Old 10th August 2020, 17:37   #21
BHPian

Great race and like most here happy to see Max pull a great drive & even better tyre strategy! Feel for Bottas, really wished he win after the pole.

Vettel's woes continues & honestly he doesn't look like a driver with talent to fight this crop of drivers. Leclerc is doing so much better with the same car, so he really needs to pull up his socks!

I also feel for Riccardo & Hulkenberg. Riccardo had 2 good days in qualifying & pole only for a bad spin to pull him all the way down! Hulkenburg's pit stop towards closing was probably not needed, he could have held on to 5th.

Lastly, one thing I am not able to wrap my head about is how were the Mercs not able to go faster in initial laps even though they were on medium tyres? Max could match lap times with the hard tyres. Was this because medium tyres not doing well with the track conditions or something else?
Old 11th August 2020, 13:16   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I think Vettel is becoming a whiner. Great drive by Verstappen. So a Honda on the podium, at the top. i am surprised that Leclerc finished that high. I have written off Ferrari for the season.
Yes Sir. I too agree about Vettel. And ever since it was announced that Sainz will joint Ferrari next season the whining seems to have increased.

I read on the F1 website an article wherein Ferrari have themselves admitted that they will be back contending on top only by the 2022 season.

Being a Ferrari fan it really makes me sad that they seem to have already thrown in the towel for 2021 already.

Super drive by Max - he surely is a future world champion.
Old 11th August 2020, 21:13   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1-Addict View Post
I read on the F1 website an article wherein Ferrari have themselves admitted that they will be back contending on top only by the 2022 season.

Being a Ferrari fan it really makes me sad that they seem to have already thrown in the towel for 2021 already.
That's the reason many have written off Ferrari for this and Next year, but we must applaud Charles for constantly coming into good points with that car. It is really slow and reminds me of my petrol i20 on some days . It makes Vettel's whining so much irrelevant for the fans.

I somehow think Vettel isn't in a good mindset with Ferrari, pretty sure he will perform much better in RP next year ( if that happens). The cars look superior than Ferrari as well
Old 11th August 2020, 22:10   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbowhistle View Post
That's the reason many have written off Ferrari for this and Next year, but we must applaud Charles for constantly coming into good points with that car. It is really slow and reminds me of my petrol i20 on some days . It makes Vettel's whining so much irrelevant for the fans.

I somehow think Vettel isn't in a good mindset with Ferrari, pretty sure he will perform much better in RP next year ( if that happens). The cars look superior than Ferrari as well
Yes Charles is special.. but I still feel they should have broken the bank and got Max.. similar to how they got in Schumacher..

Yup, The “pink Mercs” are flying this year .
F1-Addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 00:14   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
What was that HAM mentioned about MAX's tyre pressure over radio? Has RedBull filled air at low pressures than what Pirelli specified? Any investigation will be made on this?
I think it was just him complaining because he couldn't manage his tires as well as the Max did. Mercedes are high-downforce cars and I think that's what's causing their tire deterioration problems. But this characteristic has also worked in their favor in other races, so they have to take it on the chin and hope for lower temperatures in their coming races.
Vikki@Hyderabad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 15:13   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikki@Hyderabad View Post
I think it was just him complaining because he couldn't manage his tires as well as the Max did. Mercedes are high-downforce cars and I think that's what's causing their tire deterioration problems. But this characteristic has also worked in their favor in other races, so they have to take it on the chin and hope for lower temperatures in their coming races.
Exactly, as much as I admire Hamilton's race craft and his overall passion which has led him to multiple WC titles and poles/race wins, he becomes a massive cry baby when not in the lead. Took over the title from Alonso
Also, the look on Toto Wolff's face when the race ended was as though they had lost all the constructors championship titles won since 2014!

That said, I look forward to really hot track temps at Spain, that's the only way any team, especially Max and Red Bull, can get a fair fight. Unfortunately, the harder C1-C2-C3 compounds have been allocated for the weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Formula 1 : The 70th Anniversary Grand Prix - Silverstone (August 07-09)-pirelli-span-2020.png  

ds.raikkonen is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed