Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2020, 13:20   #1
Senior - BHPian

Formula 1: 2020 Tuscan Grand Prix - Mugello (11-13 September)

Mugello is a swooping, undulating circuit that the drivers almost universally adore. Set in a valley, the natural topography makes a lap of the 5.2-km track – which has hosted many an F1 test in its time, including Kimi Raikkonen’s famous first outing with Sauber – a real rollercoaster ride, with the stomach-churning run through Casanova, Savelli and into Arrabbiata 1 and 2 a particular highlight.
Despite having been a fixture for a number of international series over the years, most notably MotoGP, 2020 marks the first time that Mugello hosts a Formula 1 World Championship event.
This race also marks Ferrari's 1000th Grand Prix. A few unique things in this race:-

- Ferrari will run a one-off Burgundy livery on their SF1000s.
- Mick Schumacher will be driving Michael's F2004 - the car his father drove to his seventh and final World Championship title. He will be driving it for a demonstration run around the track, in what Ferrari say is "a fitting tribute to the Scuderia’s most successful car and its incomparable driver".
- The Safety Car will also be painted red as a sign of honour from Mercedes to Ferrari.

Stream on - Star Sports Select HD2 | Hotstar
All Times IST.

The Schedule
Formula 1: 2020 Tuscan Grand Prix - Mugello (11-13 September)-schedule.jpg

The Circuit
Formula 1: 2020 Tuscan Grand Prix - Mugello (11-13 September)-circuit-info.jpg
Formula 1: 2020 Tuscan Grand Prix - Mugello (11-13 September)-mugello-circuit-legenda1.png
Formula 1: 2020 Tuscan Grand Prix - Mugello (11-13 September)-circuit-satellite.jpg

Tyre Choices
Formula 1: 2020 Tuscan Grand Prix - Mugello (11-13 September)-tyre-steering-preview.jpeg
akash_v12 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 07:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Formula 1: 2020 Tuscan Grand Prix - Mugello (11-13 September)

Races coming thick and fast!

Mugello is a fast, flowing circuit, and horrible for overtaking. Mentally preparing for the most boring race so far this season. True DRS test this.
Hatari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 08:49   #3
BHPian

Quote:
"Scuderia Ferrari’s 1000th Grand Prix is a very important milestone, therefore it had to be marked in a special way," he said. "That’s why we decided to run a unique livery on the cars for this event, with the SF1000s taking to the track at the Mugello Circuit in the Burgundy colour first seen on the 125S, the first racing car to carry the Ferrari name.

Even the look of the race numbers on Charles’ and Sebastian’s cars will reflect the tradition of the past, giving the impression of being hand painted onto the bodywork, while the drivers’ race suits will also match the car colour
[Source]

Formula 1: 2020 Tuscan Grand Prix - Mugello (11-13 September)-burgandy-ferrari.jpg

As always she looks beautiful.
Hope Ferrari make it 1 2 and turn it into an Epic event.

Last edited by RedTerrano : 11th September 2020 at 08:50.
RedTerrano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 10:45   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
Hope Ferrari make it 1 2 and turn it into an Epic event.
Ferrari make it a 1-2?! It will be a miracle if they make it a 11-12 going by their current form and performance at Spa and Monza. Or did I miss your sarcasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
Mugello is a fast, flowing circuit, and horrible for overtaking.
Yeah, though Mugello has amazing fast and flowing turns like Silverstone, Turkey, it lacks any sort of heavy braking areas. That long start-finish straight leads into a sweeping fast right hander which will make it passing on the outside possible, if anyone dares. And to top it all off, Pirelli has chosen the hardest compounds to make sure this will be another 'Tyre Management GP'.

2019 F3 race highlights:

I think the FIA should start clamping down on the down force produced as well so that the cars tend to be a bit more tail happy for some entertainment and test of driver skills. Currently, their skills are focused more on getting the diff, brake bias and fuel mix settings on their steering wheels!

Last edited by ds.raikkonen : 11th September 2020 at 10:54.
ds.raikkonen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 12:00   #5
BHPian

Going by the trend, they might as well force a puncture on Hamilton's car by the middle of the race; make him to lose ~15 seconds and we might have an interesting race after all.

Oh, and a botched up pit stop for Bottas.

Should be a Mercedes 1,2.
Old 11th September 2020, 13:20   #6
BHPian

It's good to see a new circuit. I watched the lap video and feels like a circuit suitable for balanced chassis. But any team low on power will be sitting ducks on the long straight with DRS. I expect Max in the red bull to be right up there.

It would be weird to see the Mercedes AMG Safety car in Ferrari red, if Ferrari is not amongst the top they might as well ensure the Safety car for viewership.

Congratulations to Ferrari on the 1000th GP, no matter where they are today their legacy is undeniable. Wish them luck.
tazmaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 16:28   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds.raikkonen View Post
Ferrari make it a 1-2?! It will be a miracle if they make it a 11-12 going by their current form and performance at Spa and Monza. Or did I miss your sarcasm
Well, stranger things have happened.
Like in 1998 at Spa-Francorchamps.
Coulthard initiated a massive 14 car pileup.
Schumi - Out
Mika - Out
Eddie Irvine - Out

Guess who managed to avoid all this chaos and romped to victory? Damon Hill and Ralf Schumacher, making it a Jordan 1-2!!

Like they say, anything can happen, and as a die hard Ferrari fan, I would absolutely love it if the magic works for them coming race day. God knows they need it.
Old 11th September 2020, 17:18   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Schumi - Out
Mika - Out
Eddie Irvine - Out

Guess who managed to avoid all this chaos and romped to victory? Damon Hill and Ralf Schumacher, making it a Jordan 1-2!!
Yeah, that was a crazy with an incredible pile up. I recall Jordan doing something similar in 2003 at the Brazilian GP with Fisichella coming out on top, though it was a mystery who had won between Fisichella and Kimi and the trophy was handed to Fisico in the next race!

But, this sort of thing requires heavy downpour, at least a red flag...complete chaos which is highly unlikely at Mugello this weekend :(
Old 11th September 2020, 18:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

Just watched a bit of FP1 and the onboards just blew me away! What a 'driver' circuit! There are some epic fast sweeping corners and the Italian hills as a backdrop make it quite breathtaking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds.raikkonen View Post
And to top it all off, Pirelli has chosen the hardest compounds to make sure this will be another 'Tyre Management GP'.
The hards will be the go to race tire and should limit the management. Q2 will be very interesting when drivers select the tire they start the race on.
Hatari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2020, 01:11   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, stranger things have happened.
Schumi - Out
Mika - Out
Eddie Irvine - Out

That was really a strange and chaotic race. Jordans got their 1-2 there, but it was not because of the first lap crash.

The rules in place at the time allowed for a compete restart of the race with all drivers allowed to start again, including those who crashed and had cars damaged! 10 out the 14 could again take part in the second restart either with the repaired cars or spare cars.

In the eventual race that followed, Schumacher was leading the race comfortably till he came up to lap Coulthard and then crashed in to Coulthard’s car!

I never watched that race live, but surely there wouldn't be another race like this.

Coming to this race, here's one way how we can expect Ferrari 1-2. Since it's Ferrari's home track they can strike a deal with FIA to make only Ferrari powered cars eligible to take part in this special race.
P.S. even then I am not sure if they can keep Alfa Romeos behind.
Old 12th September 2020, 19:55   #11
BHPian

Leclerc got really lucky to qualify in P5, with the help of Ocon's spin. I expected him to make it to Q3 but never P5.

Hamilton lucky as well to take that Pole position, as he couldn't get the best times in his last run & Bottas on the other hand had good sector times, lap after lap. Again, poor Ocon.

Perez although out-qualified his teammate, but has to give that P6 up due to grid penalty.

Norris just missed to make it to Q3, with Sainz qualifying P9.

I would be amazed if Leclerc gains a position or two in the race start, or even manages to keep the P5 until the race ends.

Neo
Old 12th September 2020, 20:54   #12
Senior - BHPian

Ferrari must be thanking their stars that Leclerc managed P5 on their 1000th race! After all that livery change and stuff, you need to have a respectable race at the least. So hoping that Leclerc stays P5, or do better if one of the Mercs or Redbull cars make errors.
Old 12th September 2020, 21:24   #13
Senior - BHPian

The star of today is definitely the Mugello circuit and a topographic view reveals why. I am not sure why a lot of recent circuits do not have such changes in elevation.

Name:  mugello.png
Views: 447
Size:  77.5 KB

The circuit starts climbing from the start and then from around turn 6 the descent starts to turn 9 and then starts to climb again. And turns 6 to 10 are among the fastest. Lewis Hamilton was talking about the G forces building through the series of turns.

Another circuit I am looking forward to see these guys race on is Portimao.

Coming to the qualifying. After dominating for most of the weekend, it was heartbreaking to see Bottas qualifying lap in Q3 ruined by a yellow flag. Missed pole by 5 hundredths. He was all set for pole till then. I hope he doesn't botch up the start tomorrow.

Leclerc saved Ferrari the blushes by putting the car into Q3 and lucked out with P5. Have they compromised the long run to ensure that? Leclerc was consistently ahead of Vettel all through. Could be different race strategies at play here.

Albon up there with Verstappen, though 4 tenths off. Important for him. Though now that Vettel is accommodated a lot of people will be breathing easier.

Renaults are pretty fast now Should see some interesting moves from Riccardo who was also impacted by the yellow flag i think. Gasly P1 in Monza and 16th in qualifying today.

Drive on,
Shibu
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 18:39   #14
Senior - BHPian

Love the Mugello circuit. An old school circuit with the fabulous corners and the long straight.

I have a feeling this will be back to normalcy at the top with Hamilton winning and the podium positions shared between Bottas and Max.
I would love to be proven wrong on this.

Hope to see a good fights and overtakes in the midfield battles.
Old 13th September 2020, 18:58   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

What the hell is happening. Crazy start and crazier restart.

What a mess.

Last edited by AtheK : 13th September 2020 at 19:09.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks