Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2020, 13:08   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mick Schumacher to race in Formula 1 with Haas in 2021

The Haas Formula 1 team has announced that Mick Schumacher - son of Formula 1 legend Michael Schumacher, will race for it in the 2021 Formula 1 season. The announcement comes just after the team confirmed another rookie, Nikita Mazepin.

The 21 year old German is a Ferrari Driver Academy student as well as a Formula 2 driver. His performance in the Formula 2 season this year was one of the reasons for his acceptance into a Formula 1 team.

While Haas is not owned by Ferrari, it has agreements with Ferrari which make it as good as the Italian carmaker's B-team.

Mick Schumacher is expected to follow in his father's footsteps in Formula 1. He started his racing career in go-kart racing, but used his mother's maiden name to avoid attracting attention. In 2018, he won the Formula 3 championship and has a 14-point lead in the 2020 Formula 2 season going into the finale.

Mick Schumacher to race in Formula 1 with Haas in 2021-aa280cc5blackandredgamingyoutubechannelart63.jpg

Source

Link to the Team-BHP News
blackwasp is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 15:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mick Schumacher to race in Formula 1 with Haas in 2021

Next year will be interesting with multiple world champions, a returning world champion and a multiple world champions son.

Living up to his father's name will add more pressure to Mick Schumacher along with gathering points in his first years in F1.
tharian is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 16:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

God bless him and keep him safe and hope he does well. He will have a huge emotional connect with a very large number of old timers the world over.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 20:39   #4

Haas has two rookie's this season with one of them being a pay-driver. I doubt we will be seeing too much happening. Having Grosjean and Magnussen was probably insanely helpful for Haas.
Mick is probably going to move to Alfa Romeo in 2022 once Kimi retires. Until then I don't see him having a very great time but I hope I'm wrong! I wonder how Steiner is going to treat Mick.
FettyG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 08:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

Very good move for Mick! He has been in F2 for 2 years now, so if he did not make the move this year, it would probably have been very difficult in the future. Him leading the F2 championship made this decision easier for Ferrari and Haas. I have always wondered why Ferrari did not ask Alfa Romeo to take him on, maybe instead of Giovinaazi. But I guess Alfa Romeo had their own reasons to retain their drivers, Kimi for his experience and Giovinaazi for a simple fact that he has a superb record of gaining places at the start without getting into incidents.

So, Mick cannot do much in the Haas, they have been consistently at the back of the grid and if the new Ferrari power unit for 2021 is any good, then they probably have some chance of points now and then. Else Mick has to simply do just two things, out qualify his team mate Nikita Mazepin more often than not, and avoid first lap incidents, and also show some brilliance in some difficult conditions. This will make all other teams to sit up and take notice. Points wouldnt come easily, so these are the three things he has to aim for.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 09:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

Exciting and emotional for the obvious reasons!

While Mick might lack the outrageous pace of his father, he is a learner and a very smart driver. I have been following his career ever since I read reports of him racing in the junior ranks without that weight of that surname. He had used his mother's maiden name to avoid attention. That showed us a kid who was raised well and got a very wise head on his shoulders.

And the learning aspect is coming from the fact that he is always at his best towards the later years in a specific series and the second part of a season. That's what got him his title in F3 and only once race weekend away from the F2 title. Both titles are uncanny in comparison!

So, I would say Haas is brilliant for him. As we know, he is very patient and will use these years to form the foundation for a successful career in F1.

Welcome #47
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 15:48   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I think I'm going to have a lump in the throat when I see junior M Schumacher on the grid in 2021. Senior M Schumacher is the last F1 driver I have been a true fan of, and cheered wildly for. Junior must sure have a lot of pressure, but he has shown that he can deal with the expectations, in a way that only no-nonsense Germans do.

Am sure Mercedes & Ferrari will be keeping a close eye on this kid's performance. Heck, Haas has been like Ferrari's B-Team.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 19:50   #8
SSO
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FettyG View Post
Haas has two rookie's this season with one of them being a pay-driver. I doubt we will be seeing too much happening. Having Grosjean and Magnussen was probably insanely helpful for Haas.
Mick is probably going to move to Alfa Romeo in 2022 once Kimi retires. Until then I don't see him having a very great time but I hope I'm wrong! I wonder how Steiner is going to treat Mick.
From what I heard, Gene Haas is looking to sell the team as its been a major financial drain on him. Having two drivers that bring funding with them helps but I would not be surprised if he still tries to sell out. Agree that Mick will likely go to Alfa as soon as Kimi finally retires.
Old 23rd December 2020, 20:47   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSO View Post
From what I heard, Gene Haas is looking to sell the team as its been a major financial drain on him. Having two drivers that bring funding with them helps but I would not be surprised if he still tries to sell out. Agree that Mick will likely go to Alfa as soon as Kimi finally retires.
Mick will bring a LOT of tv cameras on his car when he races, and the sponsors on that car will like that. That will keep them going for now, apart from Ferrari having bought that seat out for Mick.
Old 24th December 2020, 09:36   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Mick will bring a LOT of tv cameras on his car when he races, and the sponsors on that car will like that. That will keep them going for now, apart from Ferrari having bought that seat out for Mick.
I did see that Ferrari was looking at Mick for 2022. Judging by his F3 and F2 seasons, he picks up only in his second season. So, Ferrari in 2022 seems unlikely.
Old 24th December 2020, 13:06   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FettyG View Post
I did see that Ferrari was looking at Mick for 2022. Judging by his F3 and F2 seasons, he picks up only in his second season. So, Ferrari in 2022 seems unlikely.
It will be alfa romeo in 2022 if at all. Carlos and Leclerc will hold fort at Ferrari until 2023 at least.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks