Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2007, 14:33   #16
Senior - BHPian

Problem with kimi is he is not trying hard enough.Look at Malaysia and Baharain,he should have tried an overtaking move atleast once,wether it was successful is another matter,he never tried to force opponents into mistakes.

It seems he lacks passion or atleast that is what his body language shows.I am afraid to say but he will not be able to fill Michael's shoes at Ferrari.

Last edited by merve_extreme : 17th April 2007 at 14:36.
Old 17th April 2007, 23:21   #17
NSX
BHPian

frankly kimi has always been an enigma. even in his early days at sauber, heidfield was consistently quicker then him, infact heidfield was also testing for maclaren and was tipped to be the new protege of Ron. then came the Great Man's (Hakkinen offcourse) retirement and with some good ol FINNISH help suddenly catapualted himself in mac.

You dont fill in shoes of once in a lifetime drivers like Schumi and Hakkinen easily.

his performances in the past seem to suggest that temperamentally he lacks something. but who know whats in store in future ? Now is the litmus test though, like they say, he is off the cliff, lets see if he soars of drops.

one thing is for sure, let alone the championship, going by his own pace he rather worry about Massa first then the mac boys.
Old 18th April 2007, 12:58   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
even in his early days at sauber, heidfield was consistently quicker then him, infact heidfield was also testing for maclaren and was tipped to be the new protege of Ron.
Very correct. I remember Heidfeld being very upset about this - with good cause too.

Between the two Ferrari drivers today I prefer Massa - lets see if Kimi brings out his best in the latter part of the season, though.
Old 18th April 2007, 13:56   #19
BHPian

Guys its new season, new rules and new specs of engines hence 5the a new ball game for all the drivers
Old 18th April 2007, 14:35   #20
BANNED

I disagree with some of the views mentioned over here.

First of all Kimi is a very good driver who had a very bad handling McLaren having reliability problems all the time.He was very unlucky in the races last season.Remember you need a lot of luck in F1 along with a good car and talent.

Secondly whenever a new season starts things are entirely different from previous years so McLaren has worked a lot on the new car and came up with a good package.

Thirdly I don't understand all this hype about Louis Hamilton.He is just lucky enough to be in a team with a great handling car which makes him look good to a extent though I am not denying that he has got a lot of talent.
Other greats in F1 like Schumacher has made even more impressive starts with cars which were far less competitive.
He just a rookie in formula one and lets be patient and see the how the season progresses.
You should not judge somebody on the basis of just 3 races and I am pretty much sure that he will make mistakes in future and learn from them and also Alonso is far better driver than him.
For Alonso I think he is a bit arrogant and does not conduct himself properly but that's my personal opinion.

I don't care whoever wins but FERRARI should be on the top step of the podium. A little biased but thats my opinion.
Old 18th April 2007, 14:43   #21
BHPian

I feel Kimi has not been forthcomming mentally this season..its his attitude this season which is stopping him from reaching the 1st place. this was evident in Bahrain after the safety car returned to the pits, kimi was caught sleeping behind Alonso.. instead of presurising Alonso by staying close to his wings, Kimi was not effective in using the saftey car and the restart to gain on Alonso. Either this is the case or he is not too happy with the cars setting and handling making him not confident about the cars capability. after all he has to be confident of the cars capabilities in the corners and while over taking. Am sure Kimi will get over this in the forthcomming races.. i always supported Mclaren mika and kimi..now i am still behind kimi to get back his never say die attitude which did him somuch good with an ailing car last year. One more thing i find lacking in Kimi would be his motivation and passion to push the pit crew and the mechanics to deliver him the best car every race.. Shumi and Alonso are both highly motivational guys you can see that from their body language. this probably matters on the qualifying and race day
Old 18th April 2007, 14:48   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazikon View Post
this was evident in Bahrain after the safety car returned to the pits, kimi was caught sleeping behind Alonso.. instead of presurising Alonso by staying close to his wings, Kimi was not effective in using the saftey car and the restart to gain on Alonso.
Absolutely correct, that bit was bl***y unforgiveable! He was literally napping. The "killer" instinct is not noticeable in him these days, on the other hand, I hate Massa but have to acknowledge his fighting spirit
Old 18th April 2007, 15:08   #23
Senior - BHPian

In the first place this thread has been started because of one simple reason. EXPECTANCE. Seeing Kimi's frustration in Mclaren we all thought that once in a Ferrari he'll get on with it and blow away the competition. And of course nicely fill in the shoes of the now retired Schumacher. I am included in this. It is because all these expectations have not been fulfilled so far that we are having a discussion.

I dont think Kimi has yet gelled completely into the Ferrari team but i hope he does soon. On the other hand Massa has been there for a full season that too along side Schumacher. He has seen MS work plus put in some brilliant performances last year including victories. IMO I feel it is Massa who is slowly building the Ferrari team around himself (ala Schumi). He was under pressure from Hamilton at Sakhir but kept his cool to take the win. I feel that Massa may soon or already has won over the hearts of the Ferrari team.

About Kimi, I feel he should involve himself more in development of the car and team. He should realize that just driving a Ferrari isnt going to get him a championship. He needs to do more than that. The post safety 'sleeping period' is something not acceptable.

I want Kimi to be WDC with Ferrari but somehow I feel Massa is more upto to it for now. There is a lot to unfold in the season still though. Honestly it doesnt matter who is WDC to me as long as its Ferrari driver. It was a whole different thing when MS was around.

Hope Kimi comes better and does well in the forthcoming races. To give him some credit he has been on the podium in all three races which includes a win compared to Alonso with a victory a 2nd place and a 5th.

Roll on
Old 18th April 2007, 17:08   #24
Senior - BHPian

I personally love Kimi's driving style and his never say die attitude. Specially Imola 2005 was perfect example of Kimi determination to go for the ultimate goal.

But from whatever I have been reading on various reputed F1 forums is that Kimi lacks technical skills to develop car. Fine thats why test drivers are for but its race drivers who also have to do car development and they are the ones who race car so their technical knowledge is important. This is where MS was very good and so is Alonso.

Although its new year and new cars and all I can bet that Alonso's testing has a strong hand in McLarens getting better. Look where Renault is left now without Alonso.

Another driver who is tipped to have great technical knowledge is Nick Heidfeild or Quick Nick as they call him. He managed to map out error in BMW engine management which both Ralf Schumacher and Juan Pablo Montoya failed to find out for a year or so.
Old 18th April 2007, 17:51   #25

My 2 cents (or 5 points):

1) Needless to say, Kimi is a damn quick driver. Lets give him some more time to settle in ... after all, Massa has been with Ferrari for quite a few years ... last year's 2nd driver and before 2006 as a test driver.

2) McLaren AND Renault this year, aren't what they were last year ... infact there were people speculating and wondering what the hell was wrong with Alonso, for moving between teams, when the source team had just given him 2 consecutive world championships, and the destination team's car couldn't finish races ... Clearly he knew something that we all didn't ...

3) Kimi's and Massa's drives in the 3 races so far this year in the scarlet Ferraris, for me atleast, sheds some light on a oft-repeated point ... SCHUMI RULEZ !!!

4) A word on Alonso ... lots of people have negative feelings about him ... but you can't shy from the fact that he is bloody talented ... you can see that from his strategic driving ... he knows how to keep people behind him, he knows when to go for it, that guy clearly has a sharp racing brain besides natural talent.

5) And as for Hamilton ... awesome start to his career in what is an awesome car ... he surely has handled the pressure brilliantly, but purely as a quick racing driver ... I'll reserve my comments till I see him in a not-so-head-of-the-field-car !!

What say ?
Old 18th April 2007, 19:57   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
He didn't go berserk when he was passed by a BMW. Smart driving!
You mean berserk like Massa does. That kid needs to cool down a little.

Last edited by Mpower : 19th April 2007 at 03:05.
Old 18th April 2007, 20:51   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown_entity View Post
My 2 cents (or 5 points):

5) ... I'll reserve my comments till I see him in a not-so-head-of-the-field-car !!

What say ?
I doubt that's going to happen anytime soon...2,3yrs maybe more....

As for Ferrari..i really dont see them going anywhere...They were nothing when there was no Schumi.....now that era has come to them again..they'd probably do good this year...but future looks bleek without schumi...unless ofcourse he becomes TEAM BOSS.
Old 18th April 2007, 22:08   #28
BHPian

Kimi is a pure racer. You can see that he drives from his heart and less from his head. All the great moments like Nurburgring 05, Spa 04 are examples. Now that makes him a wonderful and passionate driver but not a smart driver. Alonso is passionate but you can see him being smart and looking ahead. I can't remember incidents involving Alonso where he drives without thinking! Now that makes him earn points!
The advantage Alonso has right now is that he is already a WDC. For him personally there is only trying to add feathers to his cap. But Kimi has to prove and maybe a lil change in approach will be required from him to strike a balance between passionate n smart racing to earn that WDC. Otherwise he might just go down the history books as the greatest driver to have never won a championship!

Just another thought! Should Kimi have taken Mika's advice seriously to stay with McLaren and not switch sides? hmm.. I wonder...
Old 18th April 2007, 22:39   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
He has the fastest car out there, a very reliable one as well. If he doesn't do it this year, I'm afraid he may end up as another also ran.

Best example would be the last race in Bahrain. For whatever reason, Alonso was just not on the pace. He realised that and changed his driving style to suit this. He didn't go berserk when he was passed by a BMW. He drove a steady race, picked up some points and saved his engine for the next race. He now goes into his home grand prix with an engine that is far less strained than the others, so that means he can push that bit extra. Smart driving!
cannot agree with you more...
KR has the fastest car on the grid and that was evident in Bahrain. but he doesnt know when to push or nurse the car around. For the title "iceman", i think he is a bit too much icy. better get a lil hot before time runs out.

Alonso has been criticised to hell and back, but one thing is for sure, as Flavio said, he is the next-gen Schumi. and history is actually repeating itself. MS won with Benetton for two seasons consecutively, left Benetton, and Benetton was trashed. FA left Renault and now Renault is in the dumps too.

I know Renault hasnt adjusted to the new rubber yet. but that is no excuse. every other team has and that is what matters. may be they have lost the motivation. when Flavio lost FA, they knew they didnt have any driver left on the paddock that is Championship worthy. Less Effort = Less Development = 5th in the Constructor's Standings.

the highlight of the season has to be Lewis Hamilton. just completed his third race in F1 and he is already leading the Championship with team-mate FA.
22 pts i think...

but there is one more thing that surprises everyone, there is no team orders this time from Ferrari. KR and FM are both racing each other w/o any interference.
Old 19th April 2007, 01:13   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
In the first place this thread has been started because of one simple reason. EXPECTANCE. Seeing Kimi's frustration in Mclaren we all thought that once in a Ferrari he'll get on with it and blow away the competition. And of course nicely fill in the shoes of the now retired Schumacher. I am included in this. It is because all these expectations have not been fulfilled so far that we are having a discussion.

I dont think Kimi has yet gelled completely into the Ferrari team but i hope he does soon. On the other hand Massa has been there for a full season that too along side Schumacher. He has seen MS work plus put in some brilliant performances last year including victories. IMO I feel it is Massa who is slowly building the Ferrari team around himself (ala Schumi).

About Kimi, I feel he should involve himself more in development of the car and team. He should realize that just driving a Ferrari isnt going to get him a championship. He needs to do more than that. The post safety 'sleeping period' is something not acceptable.
We expected Kimi to blast away the rest in a Ferrari. Let us remember that Massa has helped develop not only the current Ferrari but also in previous seasons, as test and race driver. Kimi is stepping into a Ferrari on bridgestones which is very different from Mclaren on Michelins.(ask Alonso/Fisichella)

As for previous seasons, how many times did we see his car going kaput when in a strong position? Has that happened with Mclaren so far this season?! No. Clearly, Mclaren have developed a better car this year. I can spell out quite a few times when he made his then teammate Montoya (who was my fave) look like a novice.

Kimi would do well to learn the art of developing a car and gaining the engineers understanding and respect (ala schumy). But remember, this was only the 3rd race of the season. Give him time. His best is yet to come. Ditto with Alonso.

Most Viewed