Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2021, 20:36   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Formula 1: 2021 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola (16-18 April 2021)

Another exciting race.
Good to see the some good racing action on the track.

Hamilton has some luck that one cannot believe. Even after a mistake and being down a lap, he has his luck smiling with the safety car and the red flag which helped him with the repairs and brought him back to closer the top end of the race.

Good race by Max to win after disappointing weekend last time around.

Another excellent drive by Norris and Leclerc.
speedmiester is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 21:07   #17
BHPian

Amazing Race!

Excellent work by Lando, Max and Hamilton. Even though things aren’t looking good in the Mercedes paddock, Hamilton still manages to do what he does best. Who I’m truly happy for though is Ferrari.

Now coming to Bottas and Russel’s crash, I don’t know who was wrong but Bottas giving the finger to Russel was totally uncalled for given that he was in the wrong too. I’m sure both of them had a session with headmaster Wolff after the race.
Mat095 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 21:28   #18
BHPian

A brilliant race today at Imola, from Verstappen grabbing the lead from lap 1 to Hamilton charging through the field after a rare mistake. Was gutted for Lando after having yesterday's qualifying time deleted due to track limits but he sure put on a show today and showcased just how talented the current young drivers can be given the time and patience. Was surprised to see Carlos make so many mistakes at the beginning of the race but he kept his head down and together with Charles delivered a result that Ferrari would kill for last year. As for Seb, do not know what is wrong but he seems to be a different driver altogether, just like most other people, I'm hoping for the man to have a spectacular race very soon.

Regarding the Russell and Bottas crash, Valtteri had to move a bit to the right due to a small curve and ultimately ended up not having enough space for George. I wouldn't really say it was either of the drivers' fault, at least not one they even remotely intended to do, but can't wait to see Netflix making a whole episode about it, probably similar to season 2's episode of Pierre getting replaced and season 3's episode of Alex struggling.

All in all, tt's only the second race of the season, and simply going off what we saw so far, we're in for a treat.
Old 18th April 2021, 21:45   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

That was a brilliant race. It was imola in typical Italian hand gesture fashion , "you-a slip-a, I bite-a". Everyone was touched today .
Hamilton, well that was disappointing, even though the fight back was an inspiring drive. A Champion's drive. And Norris finally brings it home. Makes you feel sorry for sainz.

And the interaction between Russell and bottas, I think was based in the Mercedes seat. Bottas will probably not be there next year, and it will be due to Russell. So I think this was a manifestation of what is going on in their heads.
Old 18th April 2021, 21:57   #20
Senior - BHPian

The driver of the day is unquestionably Lando Norris. And given the way he was very smartly keeping Lewis behind him, he may had potential had P2 if it had not been for the clutch slip problem he mistakenly induced by having his knee pad press only the clutch pedal. Mind boggling how these guys pick these kinds of things up at the speeds they do!

The start was neatly pulled off by Verstappen. Extremely good getaway, managing the launch in the wet and then holding his line into the first chicane having Lewis bounce off the kerbs. But full credit to Lewis for holding it together when he returned back to the track. Perez's lack of experience with the car showed as he lost it a bit on the succeeding turns to hand P3 to Leclerc.

The way Lewis hauled himself back makes you think that he and Bottas are driving different cars. He makes passing look so easy.

Riccardo also looks to be still getting to grips with his new ride. He just had no answer to the pace of his team mate. And that too, someone rated to be the latest braker of them all. Now he is another ex-RB driver who seems to be under the shade the moment they step out of an RB car. They simply don't seem to be able to wring the neck of any other car they do in the Red Bull. There is something about that chassis that make drivers look good I think!

The weekend Vettel seems to have it reasonably good it all goes wrong. First the engine change, then a 5s penalty, then the red flag due to the accident putting paid to his early change to slicks culminating in a retirement due to a gear box issue. Hope all stars align for him pretty fast or we may be seeing the Hulk in green!

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 22:04   #21
BHPian

Absolutely brilliant race, full of drama and crashes. I think Norris did a fantastic job bringing that McLaren home in 3rd place. Would've been extremely difficult to keep 2 Ferraris and a 7 time world champion behind for a long time and yet he managed. Verstappen drove a great race, he had a brilliant start, stormed to first and basically stayed there. Sad luck for Perez to have spun out when he did, but luckily didn't have a crash.

I wonder what the outcome of the incident between Russell and Bottas will be. I feel Russell was in the wrong, he lost the rear and crashed into Bottas. Bottas was entitled to the racing line and therefore, didn't do anything wrong in my opinion.

Hamilton had an inspiring drive and what he did to get back on the track was quite a smart move. He isn't a 7 time world champion for nothing.
Old 18th April 2021, 22:18   #22
BHPian

What a race today!

Imola + Rains = WOW!

Claps for Norris and Max.

Apart from Lewis covering the positions from 9th to 2nd, it was pure luck that the race halted and Mercedes was able to fix up the car without any additional pit time. If not for that it would have been impossible for Hamilton to be on the podium.

I loved the honesty of Norris when he said that Lewis was too fast for him, but he did manage to hold back that Monster Mercedes and Lewis for 2 good laps. Norris, you have a fan here!

However, Max taking the pole from 3rd at the race start was the most interesting part for me.

I secretly wished that at least 1 Ferrari should have been on the podium at Imola, was hoping that Charles could have been there.
Old 18th April 2021, 22:26   #23
BHPian

This is what Russel must have told Bottas:
"Hey Valtteri , that car is gonna be mine soon!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat095 View Post
Amazing Race!
I don’t know who was wrong but Bottas giving the finger to Russel was totally uncalled for
And Russel slapped him immediately afterwards.

And Hamilton's luck is insane. Both of the Mercedes employees convenietly crash immediately after Hamilton drops down the order. Get a red flag that helps Hamilton regain his position. Just a conspiracy.

And seeing that Russel in a Williams was gonna overtake Bottas. I guess his days at Mercedes are limited.

Other than that here are my small Observations:
*Gasly is fast. Put him in a better car , he would most likely get a podium.

*Sir Launcelot has improved and is actually showing some of his talent. Does not deserve the hate he gets.

*Sainz is perfect for Ferrari. he is doing his job properly.

*McLaren are on the rise.

And at the end. This is the most entertaining race I have seen in ages.
Eshan Joshi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 23:01   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshan Joshi View Post

And Russel slapped him immediately afterwards.

And Hamilton's luck is insane. Both of the Mercedes employees convenietly crash immediately after Hamilton drops down the order. Get a red flag that helps Hamilton regain his position. Just a conspiracy.

And seeing that Russel in a Williams was gonna overtake Bottas. I guess his days at Mercedes are limited.
It was an act of rage and response to being given the middle finger when it’s the first time you were gonna finish in points with Williams. I’m not supporting either of them and think it was in the heat of the moment. Nonetheless, I’m pretty sure Toto took care of the matter.

Secondly, luck does not get you 7 World Championships. I think maybe we should stop saying Hamilton is lucky and agree that he may be actually talented. Also, I don’t think it was a “conspiracy”, if it was you won’t see that kind of rage between the two drivers and how would they know that the race will be red flagged.

And finally, Russel just showed Mercedes how capable he could be in the right car and he just needs some maturity in his driving. On the contrary, I would say Valtteri’s days at Mercedes are limited as at the end of the day he is just a wingman to Hamilton.
Mat095 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 23:06   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post
Race Red flagged after a huge crash between George Russel and Valteri Bottas. Can't clearly figure out what happened exactly except that Russell and Bottas had some very unpleasant exchanges after the crash.
Bottas definitely moved a little to right just as Russell was halfway down the outside which made him (Russell) move further to the right to save a potential collision. The move to his (Russell’s) right meant his tyres (right side of the car) went on the white line/grass. That’s it then, he lost control and into Bottas he went. I don’t know if there will be any penalties post race as it may be termed as a racing incident.

Both their actions after the incident were simply made in the heat of the moment though I am sure Russell will feel it was wrong of Bottas to move to the right at such high speed when he had the corner and Bottas will feel Russell should have eased off. Doing what they do, both are correct in their own minds as Bottas would not want to be overtaken (especially) by Russell and Russell would not want to be seen as backing off either. Mind games and showing off to Papa Wolff for next years race seat

Kimi was really lucky not to get caught with any debris as he was right behind the pair when they collided.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 18th April 2021 at 23:08.
Cyborg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 23:18   #26
Senior - BHPian

Thoroughly enjoyed every lap of the race!

Actually this is one of the tracks where overtaking is not very easy, so if not for the wet conditions we may have actually had a very boring race.

Im a bit disappointed that Leclerc could not be on the podium today, I thought he was surely going to overtake Norris, but it was not to be. But you have to give it to Leclerc and Sainz for doing well today. In fact Sainz made a couple of mistakes, but he was always in the hunt for the top 5. In the early part of the race he was easily hunting down the Mclarens, but two mistakes put him further down, he was however lucky not to lose position. Arguably the most exciting pair of drivers in the paddock, may be Norris and Ricciardo come close.

All said and done, this year, we have a real competition on hands. Red Bull and Mercedes seem very closely matched, im still not sure who is ahead though since Bahrain was unique in its own way and today we had wet conditions, so not very clear about who is the fastest over all. But one thing is clear, RBR is not going to have it easy at all, that Mercedes is still incredibly quick and Hamilton is simply the best driver right now, he seems to pull something out of the bag each time.

Anyway, apart from RBR and Mercedes, we have a real close fight behind. Mclaren and Ferrari are going to be fighting often for the best of the rest, I actually feel that Alpha Tauri is a bit close to them as well, but they havent really had a clean weekend so far, hence we will have to wait and watch. The others are a bit behind, Aston Martin, Alpine,Alfa Romeo are in a third tier sort of a league, with Williams and Haas really behind everyone else. Haas are actually too far behind everyone!
Old 18th April 2021, 23:45   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat095 View Post

Secondly, luck does not get you 7 World Championships. I think maybe we should stop saying Hamilton is lucky and agree that he may be actually talented. Also, I don’t think it was a “conspiracy”, if it was you won’t see that kind of rage between the two drivers and how would they know that the race will be red flagged.
You Have completely misinterpreted my post.

First of all ,I did not call Lewis Hamilton Over rated.

I just said that he has good luck. Something many drivers don't have.

Secondly, I used the word conspiracy to just show how things are related. Don't take it seriously . Take it as a joke.
Eshan Joshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 00:23   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshan Joshi View Post

Secondly, I used the word conspiracy to just show how things are related.
That’s my point buddy, these are two separate events that are not related!

I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree on this one. Nonetheless, let’s look forward to a fantastic season ahead of us. Cheers!
Old 19th April 2021, 00:41   #29
Senior - BHPian

More information on the Russell/Bottas accident. Russell asks Bottas if he was trying to kill them both, accuses him of making a 2015 Verstappen type move. Seems the drivers have a gentleman’s agreement not to move one way or another in such a scenario. Russell specifically says perhaps Bottas may not have done this move if it was another driver

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...crash-Imola-GP

Race direction clears both drivers of any blame, calls it a racing incident and after viewing extensive footage says no driver moved incorrectly.

https://www.racefans.net/2021/04/18/...topping-shunt/

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 19th April 2021 at 00:55. Reason: Added information within the editing timeframe.
Old 19th April 2021, 01:08   #30
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Russel and Bottas both want the mercedes seat for 2022, so both didn't yield and the end result is a crash.
Toto said after the race on skysports " I haven’t seen George yet – he didn’t come [to see me]. I keep teasing him, I said if he does a good job he can be in a Mercedes, if not we’re doing the Renault Clio Cup and today we’re more close to the Renault Clio Cup."

Clearly Totto isn't happy about Russel.

Please the lengths people go to say there is conspiracy of the Mercedes and the works team to get a red flag to help hamilton. Those people should realise that there is still a constructors title to be won.

Lewis also lost 2 seconds in the first pitstop compared to Max. Lewis already had a wing change when he rejoined the track before the red flag.

Max was lucky he didn't loose the position by spining at the restart, didn't knew that you can get a penalty for going off the track under safety car like how perez got, I assumed that you cannot overtake under a safety car, so when perez went off the track others cannot overtake him, clearly I was wrong.

Stewards said this about the incident
"The Stewards heard from the driver of Car 63 (George Russell), the driver of Car 77 (Valtteri Bottas) and the team representatives and reviewed multiple angles of video evidence and telemetry. “Car 63 approached car 77 to pass after the front straight a few laps after the restart when DRS had recently been enabled. Car 77 maintained his line throughout the incident along the right hand side of the dry line, leaving at least a full car’s width to the right at all times.
“Car 63 approached with a significant speed advantage. He moved to pass on the right. As the cars approached the kink of turn 1, the gap between them and the right hand side of the track decreased. At no time did either car manoeuvre erratically.
“The track appeared to be not especially wet through turn 1 but at the point of closest approach to the right hand side of the track, the right hand side tyres of Car 63 hit an especially damp patch and the car snap yawed, bearing in mind that the car had low downforce in the rear with the DRS open.
“The Stewards conclude that the accident was a racing incident considering the conditions and take no further action."

Last edited by aim120 : 19th April 2021 at 01:11.
aim120 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed