Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2021, 15:14   #1
Senior - BHPian

The 2022 Formula 1 (Silly) Season Thread!

Guys, starting off the 2022 season thread. Please post everything regarding the 2022 F1 season here!

Kicking it off with Lando's contact extension.

Quote:
Lando Norris has been rewarded for his impressive growth as a Formula 1 driver and strong start to the 2021 campaign with a fresh multi-year contract to extend his stay at McLaren for 2022 and beyond.

The Briton – who has been part of the McLaren family since 2017 – scored the second podium of his career in Imola earlier this year, to sit fourth in the drivers’ standings, and is on a run of nine successive points finishes.

On the eve of the Monaco Grand Prix weekend, where McLaren will race a one-off Gulf Oil inspired blue and orange livery, the British team announced the new deal for the 21-year-old.

It means Norris will be with the team until at least the end of 2023, bringing him in line with new team mate Daniel Ricciardo’s contract – with the Australian revealing earlier this year he signed a three-year deal from this season.

McLaren said in a statement that “the confirmation of its driver pairing beyond 2022 signals McLaren Racing’s commitment to stability for the future and represents a further step in the team’s long-term plan to compete at the front of the field”.

McLaren CEO Zak Brown said: “I’m delighted with the extension of our agreement with Lando for 2022 and beyond. He’s been instrumental in our return of form here at McLaren and we’re proud of the growth he’s shown since he first started with us back in 2017.

“Lando is one of the brightest talents on the Formula1 grid and we look forward to seeing him continue to go from strength-to-strength both on and off track.”

Team Principal Andreas Seidl added: “Our decision to confirm Lando’s long-term future at McLaren was very straightforward. Lando has impressed us since his rookie year with his performances, and his evolution as a driver since then has been clear to see.

“He’s an integral part of our performance recovery plan and his record so far, securing two podiums with the team over the past year and has shown he’s a formidable competitor on track.

“Like him, we have strong ambitions for our future together and I’m pleased we’re continuing this journey for both Lando and the team. In Lando and Daniel, we have a hugely talented and exciting driver line-up, and this announcement is a strong signal of commitment to the next chapter for McLaren from 2022 onwards.

Norris added: “I’m really pleased to have extended my relationship with McLaren from 2022. Having been with the team for almost five years, I feel very much part of the family here and I couldn’t imagine starting the next phase of my career anywhere else.

“McLaren has been a huge support since my days in junior series and I’ve really enjoyed learning and developing as a driver since.

“My commitment to McLaren is clear: my goal is to win races and become Formula 1 World Champion and I want to do that with this team. Since joining in 2017 our progression has been consistent and we have clear ambitions together for the future.

“I want to say thank you to Zak and Andreas for the belief they have shown in me since the beginning, and to the whole team for giving me such a strong environment to continue my career in.

“We’ve already had some incredible moments together which I’ll never forget – two podiums and securing P3 in the [constructors’] championship – and together with Daniel and the rest of the team, I’m looking forward to pushing for even more success in the years to come.”
Source

Last edited by akash_v12 : 19th May 2021 at 15:18.
akash_v12 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 20:41   #2
BHPian

Re: The 2022 Formula 1 (Silly) Season Thread!

Esteban Ocon signs three-year contract extension with Alpine

Quote:
Esteban Ocon has committed his future to Alpine by signing a three-year contract that will keep him at the French Formula 1 team until at least the end of 2024.

This year, the 24-year-old has on average outperformed his more decorated double world team mate Fernando Alonso, who returned to F1 this year after a two-year hiatus, scoring points four times in six Grands Prix.

For More:
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...dyB73g8NM.html

He deserves to stay in F1. I don't know why people hate him so much. He is a pretty solid driver.
Eshan Joshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 21:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshan Joshi View Post

Esteban Ocon signs three-year contract extension with Alpine

For More:
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...dyB73g8NM.html

He deserves to stay in F1. I don't know why people hate him so much. He is a pretty solid driver.
I think Renault had to go for Ocon! I mean every top team today has locked in the best young drivers for a really long term! Mclaren has Norris, Ferrari have Leclerc, Redbull obviously have Max, Mercedes has Russell! And on top of this the very same teams have contracted other good drivers like Sainz, Ricciardo, Gasly in some ways. So Renault really had no option, Alonso isn’t going to be around for much longer, I think this season Renault needed Ocon to sort of go up against Alonso and sort of prove himself. Agreed Alonso is not in his best form, but the team would have had ample data to run thru, so they had to lock him in, else Ocon would have become another option for Mercedes since he was part of their young drivers program. This way Renault has their own young gun for the long run

I think we have a bunch of really exciting drivers for the next 3-5 years, Leclerc, Max, Sainz, Norris, Gasly, Ocon, Russell. All of these guys are genuinely fast, although at the moment Leclerc and Max seem to be slightly better.
And I’m sure Ricciardo, Alonso, Hamilton and Vettel are also going to be hanging around for 2-4 years, but when regulations undergo massive changes in 2025, these young guys would be massively experienced and I cannot think of any other world champion in 2025 apart from these guys.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 21:08   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I wouldn't be surprised if Gasly got hired by Renault in 2023. Imagine that - an all french team! I doubt Alonso will stick around for more than another season. He looks tired.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2021, 14:09   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Hamilton agrees to a 2 year contract with Mercedes in continuation of the current season.

Link

Quote:
Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes will continue their immensely successful partnership in Formula 1 beyond this season, with the reigning seven-time world champion signing a two-year contract that will keep him in F1 with the Silver Arrows until at least the end of 2023.

It is the second contract Hamilton has done with Mercedes in six months, the Briton only putting pen to paper on his current one-year term a few weeks before pre-season testing began.

Both Hamilton and Mercedes Team Principal Toto Wolff were keen to avoid the contract saga dragging on again, so began talks much earlier and they were concluded within weeks before being announced on Saturday morning of the Austrian Grand Prix.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 3rd July 2021 at 14:11.
BoneCollector is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2021, 15:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Hamilton agrees to a 2-year contract with Mercedes in continuation of the current season.
So, that's Hamilton secured for that Mercedes seat for the next two years (until of course, he doesn't pull a Rosberg and bow out of his seat after winning the 8th title (be it, this year or the next).

Now, that brings up that second Mercedes seat. VB, on his days, can be a great wingman, he has the ability to win the races from Hamilton or even take the lead in case HAM has some problem. But, his chances of winning the title remain low with HAM and VER fighting for the top spot.

GR on the other hand has the ability and hunger. He's not had the privilege to score points in the Williams car, but he was sure as hell close to them last week. He has the potential to adapt very well, as we saw in the Sakhir race and will mostly, surely give HAM the Rosberg-like fight.

I feel HAM only wants Bottas and not Russell because he doesn't want a maybe, three-way battle with Russell & Verstappen. Only time will tell what's in store.
akash_v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2021, 16:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

If it was upto Hamilton, he would choose Bottas, much like Seb was rooting for Kimi to stay. Mercedes has to look at for future, and George is the future.
fz_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 14:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

Breaking: Alpine have announced that Fernando Alonso will continue to race with the team in 2022, with boss Laurent Rossi saying they have been impressed with the Spaniard’s “dedication, teamwork and focus” since he returned to Formula 1 this season.

The 2022 Formula 1 (Silly) Season Thread!-1image.jpg
akash_v12 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 15:46   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
Breaking: Alpine have announced that Fernando Alonso will continue to race with the team in 2022, with boss Laurent Rossi saying they have been impressed with the Spaniard’s “dedication, teamwork and focus” since he returned to Formula 1 this season.
Awesome stuff.....

That's bad news for Sir crybaby he will have a tough time on track trying to overtake Alonso.
sajands is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 18:42   #10
Senior - BHPian

Breaking: It's raining deals at Belgium! Red Bull will field an unchanged line-up for 2022, after announcing on Thursday that they have decided to retain Sergio Perez.

I think it makes complete sense to retain Checo. RedBull has had one of the strongest campaigns since 2013 and they need the experience irrespective of who they have. Good to see him get another year in a (hopefully) strong car.

The 2022 Formula 1 (Silly) Season Thread!-perez.jpg
akash_v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 22:00   #11
Senior - BHPian

I think the George Russel decision to Mercedes is done, team is waiting till Bottas gets his seat confirmed at another team prior to making the announcement.

Finally we should see Lewis getting a run for his money. Been a walk in the park too long.
Hatari is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 17:04   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Alfa Romeo for Bottas.

The 2022 Formula 1 (Silly) Season Thread!-screenshot_20210906170402.jpg

Last edited by BoneCollector : 6th September 2021 at 17:05.
BoneCollector is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 17:35   #13
Senior - BHPian

Here comes the confirmation that George Russell is moving to Mercedes next year. With Bottas to Alfa, there's only one way for Russell to go. Very happy to see him moving to a top team. Bottas can also have good luck next year, with the new regulations coming up next year.

The 2022 Formula 1 (Silly) Season Thread!-smartselect_20210906173139_formula-1.jpg
Old 6th September 2021, 18:20   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
Finally we should see Lewis getting a run for his money. Been a walk in the park too long.
Although I feel a bit bad for Bottas, yesterday's race was another stark reminder of how disgusting it is for a team to focus on one driver only. Bottas deserves to be more than a support driver. With the way it's going, he has no real reason to push honestly.

If the Mercedes continues this further next season, expect Lewis to 'follow team orders' thus getting a taste of his own medicine. Russell seems to be gifted with the way he pushes that Williams to places it's not meant to be.

Hope we see Russel and Lewis fight next year like the Rosberg and Lewis atleast.

Checo will need to be far more consistent if Red Bull wants to put up a good fight next year. His pace at qualifying is always a 0.5 - 1 second below Max.

Last edited by Turbohead : 6th September 2021 at 18:25.
Turbohead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 12:35   #15
BHPian

Pierre Gasly and Yuki Tsunoda retained by AlphaTauri for 2022.

Quote:
Red Bull-contracted drivers Pierre Gasly and Yuki Tsunoda will continue to form sister squad AlphaTauri’s driver line-up into 2022, the Faenza-based team announced in the lead up to the Italian Grand Prix.

The 2022 Formula 1 (Silly) Season Thread!-1image.jpg

For More:
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...ek9848EWh.html
Eshan Joshi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks