Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2021, 22:55   #16
BHPian

Re: F1: Hamilton Commission report released, aims to improve diversity in motorsports

This is one of those topics where everyone is going have an opinion and treading in the gray area is like floor is lava.

I am a cynic when it comes to coddling up people using reservations to force inclusion. But on the other hand, marginalization is not Fake News.

Tactics like the one proposed doesn't hit the nail on its head, it's a poor shortcut. Maybe this is an unpopular opinion - hire/ include people based on merit while having strict rules against any kind of discrimination. But then, discrimination is an implicit phenomenon and has a social variable involved.

It's pretty convoluted and bandaid solutions like these can only make the problem worse.
shree_shell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 23:44   #17
BHPian

Re: F1: Hamilton Commission report released, aims to improve diversity in motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
A few things.

One, why do you think this is the only thing he's doing about it? F1, by his own admission, is just one part of his identity, and he's doing plenty of other things to push for change. The commission appears to be a starting point, about finding specific issues as to why blacks are underrepresented in his current profession, and what can be done to change that, right from educational opportunities to everything else. Actions, I think, will follow. Here's a quote from the article linked in the OP:
All epic drives start with someone starting the car. He's turned the key, he doesn't have to drive the entire distance.
Thanks for the clarification! I do understand that this is just the start and he has other initiatives underway. I really appreciate what he is trying to achieve. Still, I believe a more direct approach from the start would have been beneficial in the long run. We have seen time and again that relying on the system for inclusion often results in more representation, but doesn't provide true equality. In fact, it divides people more and I hope this initiative doesn't go down that route. Time will tell of course!
nitkel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 00:12   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitkel View Post
... We have seen time and again that relying on the system for inclusion often results in more representation, but doesn't provide true equality. In fact, it divides people more and I hope this initiative doesn't go down that route. Time will tell of course!
Oh it's the age old charity Vs. action argument with no one right answer, so all I have is optimism that progress can hopefully be made.

I tend to fall on the 'teach a man to fish so he, eventually, doesn't need one handed to him' side of things, and from reading the report, it appears that's what is being tried, not handouts based on skin color willy nilly.

Change isn't instantaneous or absolute, there will never be absolute 'true' equality. It's always incremental, always divisive, but status quo isn't equal either, so we need to get off our collective social arse and start somewhere.

If Hamilton just decided to throw money at it directly (as he can probably afford to and as plenty of people would say he should), detractors will line up to probably criticise him for being racist in helping only blacks.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 07:45   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I think this topic has been discussed enough. Closing before things get too hot to handle. Thank you.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks