Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2021, 10:39   #46
BHPian

Re: Formula 1 | 2021 British Grand Prix | Silverstone Circuit | 16-18 July, 2021

Well, Max's social media outburst has spiced up things more, and it is going to get more dirtier in the upcoming races. Perez has to step up to help Max as how Bottas has been doing to Hamilton.

Can't rule out the incidents similar to Vettel-Hamilton in Baku few years back, fingers crossed for a spicy season ahead
Old 19th July 2021, 11:02   #47
Team-BHP Support

Re: Formula 1 | 2021 British Grand Prix | Silverstone Circuit | 16-18 July, 2021

It all adds to the show. What's a title fight without a few handbags moments, can't separate emotion from competition.

Whichever way this swings, it at least won't be a boring procession that all pundits who jumped the gun less than halfway into the season had already declared it to be.

On-track stuff aside, the development battle will be intriguing. Red Bull have traditionally been front-runners when it comes to in-season development (going back to 2009), and they're finally NOT hamstrung by the Honda power-unit being inferior limiting how much progress can be made overall, and have also said they'll continue development deep into this season.

Be interesting to watch if Merc change their mind and pull back some resources from the 2022 reg change focus.
Old 19th July 2021, 11:17   #48
BHPian

I was an eventful race and entertaining for viewers. I watched the start and the way Max and Lewis were side by side on most of the corners. I was thinking surely either one has to back off or there will be contact and it happened.

Max have been aggressive in defense lately especially during the start of the season when lewis won, after that the Merc's could not match the pace of Red bull and Max didn't have to defend. This season I felt Lewis was not up for a fight but here at silverstone the Merc's had pace and kept up with Redbull throughout the first lap. Both being aggressive racers fought it out on the track. It was just sheer luck the Lewis survived the contact at that speed, I was sure he went off too because the cameras were focused on Max. Lewis further got lucky with the Red flag which allowed the team to carry out repairs without any loss.

The incident according to me was a racing incident with one driver probably more to blame for which a penalty was served. But no way it was planned and reading hate comments on the web is really shameful.

The part of the race which I didn't like was when Bottas made way. I know team orders are legal and everyone is doing it but I wanted Lewis and Bottas to race. I don't see that happening this season.

Moving on things have certainly spiced up, Lewis has been in such situations before and Max has to play it smart. In a quicker car Max needs to keep calm and ensure he wins the war even if a couple of battles are lost.
tazmaan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 11:38   #49
BHPian

Such an entertaining race, especially the beginning and the end.

To me it was absolutely a racing incident and the stewards should have let it be. With his super aggressive style (both on and off track) Verstappen expects others to cower down. This time that didn't happen and he was at the receiving end. He got to taste a bit of his own medicine.

To me the real drive of the day was that of Leclerc's except for the mistake he made when he was under pressure from Hamilton. He should not have run wide. It is really good to see Ferrari being competitive

With Redbull catching up with Mercedes and Ferrari and Mclaren improving and ready to capitalise on any mistakes from the lead 2, I hope the post summer races are going to be more competitive and much more interesting.
Mohan Mathew A is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 11:48   #50
BHPian

Glad to see Max okay after suge a huge crash. Big thumbs up for modern F1 safety!

IMHO Lewis did nothing wrong, relatively cold tyres, full fuel load and a long sweeping corner, car is bound to understeer. Max is a very aggressive and rash driver, he has Mad Max and Crashtappen nicknames for a reason. He always expects others to back off, which Lewis has done many many times against him. This time Lewis knew he has to match his aggression or (potentially) fall further behind in the title race. It was purely a racing incident as neither of them backed off and there should have been no penalty whatsoever. Max was a little ahead yes but Lewis fooled him into going outside before entering the corner. Before the crash Max was swerving everywhere to keep Lewis behind.

If Max had backed off, he would have had a strong chance to win this race itself. I hope more drivers show more aggression and behave like Max in next few races.

Lewis overtook others (Norris and Leclerc) twice in that corner in the same race in the same way. They backed off (as Max should have) or couldn't go toe to toe with him.
chautob0t is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 11:56   #51
BHPian

Wow, now the gloves are truly off. I was very sure that this was bound to happen sooner or later. Some examples of these 2 championship contenders going wheel to wheel from this year:

Portimão:
Formula 1 | 2021 British Grand Prix | Silverstone Circuit | 16-18 July, 2021-portamao.png

Spain:
Formula 1 | 2021 British Grand Prix | Silverstone Circuit | 16-18 July, 2021-spain.png

Imola:
Formula 1 | 2021 British Grand Prix | Silverstone Circuit | 16-18 July, 2021-screen-shot-20210719-11.47.20-am.png

On this particular incident, I side more towards racing incident, both drivers pushing to the limit. Glad Max is okay, the radio to him (not broadcasted) sounded really scary

Cheers
Aswin
aswin93 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 12:07   #52
BHPian

I am a die hard ferrari fan and impartial to Red bull-Merc shenanigans. But for me Hamilton missed the Apex and understeered to Max. And that 10 second penalty was very lenient. I remember Kimi got a stop go penalty a few years back for a lesser incident. Someone took out the main championship rival and still came out on top is not something I could digest easily.
PJ1987 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 12:17   #53
BHPian

Would have been a totally different kind of race, had Hamilton clipped somebody else instead of Max. It came out all roses after reeling in a wheezing Ferrari and then taking the moral high ground because he got a 10 sec penalty. Shameful, completely agree with Horner. Hami is too senior a racer not to know what happens at Copse. (Or probably he knew exactly what can be done) Shades of Shumi?
But on the flip side now there is a true hot blooded rivalry and some real wheel to wheel racing to look forward to, hopefully.
jazzrockz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 12:31   #54
BHPian

Wonderful race. Tense first 5 minutes and last 5 minutes.

Mad Max got to taste his own medicine. Before the stupid thing he did at Copse corner, all along was weaving and pusing out Ham anticipating that he will give him right of way and back off. When Mad Max did not see Ham esing off, then tried squeezing him to the wall as well as oversteer and force Ham to break. And then Voila, got to taste his own medicine. But, thank god he is okay and only a little bit shaken.

8 race wins in a single circuit - Take a bow, Ham. You completely deserve it.

Now, waiting eagerly to see the real interesting second half of the season.
Karvel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 12:35   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FURY_44 View Post
Damn, the haters have all come together on this against Lewis, looks like they want him to loose every single day. Some comments on social media posts on official handles like F1 have garnered 30k, 40k likes (for a hate comment). It looks he is right with his "Fight Against Racism" campaign, heck he is facing it himself right in front of everybody. It pains me to read those comments as a fellow human being.
Thank you!!

Formula 1 | 2021 British Grand Prix | Silverstone Circuit | 16-18 July, 2021-merc.jpg
FURY_44 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 12:56   #56
BHPian

Max's car suffered a lot of damage. Incase the power unit is damaged and needs to replaced, will it be counted from the quota? If so that would be a big set back.
Old 19th July 2021, 13:04   #57
BHPian

The Sprint race was boring IMHO. Not sure what value it adds other than spreading the races over two days.

The crash that will be spoken for long and both drivers have their own set of critics. From what i saw, it looks like Hamilton pushed aggressively and egged on by the crowd wanted to get room. Max on the other hand did not want to let go and in hindsight it was the mistake, having a faster car had he given room he may have actually gained.

Will never understand the speeds of these cars, how after a pit stop and penalty, Hamilton works his way up and over takes the leader also. I mean they are racing there, its not like every other car is on an easy lap, how is it possible that one driver alone is able to do this???
It was painful to see Lewis just casually sweeping by the leader who was not Max.
clementw is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 14:25   #58
BHPian

A special shout out to Leclerc for that performance. He drove the wheels off that Ferrari. And Alonso too. I was skeptical when he announced his return. But that guy proved me how very wrong I was.
PJ1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 14:48   #59
Senior - BHPian

Interesting race with a nice finish but a not so nice start.

Good to know Max is ok.

Prior to Copse I just had a feeling Max was getting too aggressive. In earlier skirmishes Lewis had backed off, here after the Sprint, he was not going to let that happen.

I see it as a racing incident, Lewis lucky with the Red flag because he did have a cracked rim.

Max should be thinking about the Championship, every corner cannot be all or nothing.
He should have yielded as he has more to lose (and a faster car).

Lewis should have been more careful as he has a habit of knocking out Red Bulls on the outside (just ask Albon)

Nice to see Alonso back in it and get the feel back.

Shame for LeClerc, great pace on the Mediums.

Slightly off topic, but when you see the mistakes both have made this year it brings me back to how flawless and consistent Alonso was in his years fighting for the championship, making him a contender. Lots to learn for the young guns.
Hatari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 14:59   #60
BHPian

Just out of curiosity, did anyone understand Redbull’s strategy for Checo ?
The guy was running on hard tyres yet he was made to box around 20th lap.
It felt like the team forgot they have another car running.
SShandilya is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed