Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2021, 16:03   #31
BHPian

Re: Formula 1 | 2021 Russian Grand Prix | Sochi Autodrome | 24-26 September 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
PS: I managed to listen to the race while driving, with the car's stereo giving an old-time radio commentary. You guys have to try this. Onboard shots take on a whole new meaning. Not only do you hear the car, but when the car goes over the kerbs, you will hear the rumbles and bumps!! Very vividly. Sub woofer recommended.
Where can you listen to an F1 race on radio? Would love to be in touch with when I am on the move!
Old 27th September 2021, 16:14   #32
NKB
BHPian

Re: Formula 1 | 2021 Russian Grand Prix | Sochi Autodrome | 24-26 September 2021

What a race!! Full of action through out and then the drama of rain.

Would have loved to see Norris win the race. He did every thing right until he said “No” to pit for inters. If it had not rained, I feel Norris would have prevailed over Hamilton. While Hamilton had narrowed to gap with Norris, but then he was not close enough to make a move. In few laps before the rains, Norris handled Hamilton very well. If you see, the gap between two was even less than a second, but when it came to DRS zone, Norris took the gap beyond a second and Hamilton did not get the DRS advantage and with that strategy, Norris would have managed final 3 or 4 laps. But then it is part of the game, as a driver Norris took a call and it did not paid off. That’s it.

P2 after starting from the back of the grid, was amazing result for Max. He would not have expected it either at the start of the race. But what I liked was his charge from back up to P7 before he pitted. Then he got stuck and then rain played its role.

Mercedes had put Bottas behind to hold Max for longer and delay his progress. But Max cleared Bottas with ease. Bottas said that he was having lot of understeer and was not able to carry pace through the corners, but I think with the new power unit and further new parts, he should have been able to hold Bottas a bit more longer. Now Mercedes and Hamilton both will be more worried about the pace that Max had and that will force them to take new power unit for Hamilton as well. This will be crucial for the Championship, even more when Max has limited the damage to 2 points gap only.
NKB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 17:30   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKB View Post
Bottas said that he was having a lot of under-steer and was not able to carry pace through the corners, but I think with the new power unit and further new parts, he should have been able to hold Bottas a bit more longer.
I assume you mean Max.

I know Bottas is a professional but after the way Mercedes has used him, I won't be surprised if his car develops understeer or his tyres get grainy, or his brakes start failing etc... when he has to protect Ham.

Last edited by navin : 27th September 2021 at 17:31.
navin is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 19:17   #34
NKB
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I assume you mean Max.
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I know Bottas is a professional but after the way Mercedes has used him, I won't be surprised if his car develops understeer or his tyres get grainy, or his brakes start failing etc... when he has to protect Ham.

No doubt.. In many of those 100 wins of Hamilton, there is lot of "Bottas" to it.

Last edited by NKB : 27th September 2021 at 19:20.
Old 28th September 2021, 00:11   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
Where can you listen to an F1 race on radio? Would love to be in touch with when I am on the move!
You asked mayankk, but here’s what I have been doing whenever I am in the car -Connect the phone to car and keep Hotstar running. Car's audio system takes care of the rest!
Old 28th September 2021, 10:10   #36
Senior - BHPian

What a race! Shame about Hotstar going off at the end, but luckily had the F1 live timing app running.

Shall keep my views upto the point the rain arrived.

Mega drive from Lando, lapping over a second faster than his team mate at times and keeping ahead of Lewis. Easily driver of the day.

A close second has to be Alonso. Crafty and quick, the only top 10 runner to start on the Hards and make it count so well. Overtaking a struggling Max, who pushed his tires too hard entering his 2nd stint and has lots to learn about tire management. The younger lot with the benefit of DRS have not learnt this well enough.

Watch Alonso closely, he intentionally is slow at the start of every stint, preserving the tires to attack later on in the stint when others have pushed too hard initially.
Major point haul again for Alpine, keeping ahead of the faster Toro Rosso and Aston in the constructors.

Coming to Lewis - very surprising that he did not start on the Hards, given that he had 3 Merc powered cars in front of him, getting stuck behind a DRS chain was inevitable.
Old 28th September 2021, 17:33   #37
BHPian

What a brilliant race that was. Did anyone see the cheeky move Alonso made at the start of the race by going straight to the runoff area at Turn 1-2? He made quite a number of places.
Karun Chandok predicted it earlier during the pre-race session that he observed Alonso deliberately using the runoff and practising/calculating how much time was being gained or lost using this method.
BharathXUV700 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 19:36   #38
anb
BHPian

Check out this bonkers battle for P3 between Fernando Alonso, Charles Leclerc and Sergio Perez. I wonder why this didn't shown in the TV.

Old 29th September 2021, 11:35   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BharathXUV700 View Post
What a brilliant race that was. Did anyone see the cheeky move Alonso made at the start of the race by going straight to the runoff area at Turn 1-2? He made quite a number of places.
Karun Chandok predicted it earlier during the pre-race session that he observed Alonso deliberately using the runoff and practising/calculating how much time was being gained or lost using this method.
He did not make up any places. This was clarified by Race Director Michael Masi.
Doing so would have resulted in a penalty.

The beauty was he did not lose any places!

Alonso was quite vocal about it post France and had mentioned he would do it.
Old 29th September 2021, 16:17   #40
BHPian

Chanced up on this youtube video which is a hilarious take on Alonso's sochi detour.
Mallu Bhpians can relate better.

Most Viewed