Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2022, 12:25   #1
Senior - BHPian

Formula 1 Miami GP: Residents file lawsuit over fear of hearing damage from F1 race cars

Formula 1 will be heading to Miami, USA, for the first time next month. However, ahead of the inaugural Grand Prix some residents of Miami Gardens had recently filed a lawsuit over concerns about the noise levels associated with the upcoming race weekend. According to reports, the residents are complaining that the high noise levels from the Grand Prix could lead to hearing damage.

Formula 1 Miami GP: Residents file lawsuit over fear of hearing damage from F1 race cars-f1miamigp2.jpg

However, a Miami judge has denied the lawsuit and allowed the 2022 Formula 1 Miami Grand Prix to go ahead as scheduled. The judge stated that the evidence presented by the plaintiffs is "speculative" and that those concerned about the noise should stay indoors and / or wear earplugs.

The residents claimed that the Grand Prix violated the city's noise ordinance, which bans unreasonable noise disturbance causing injury or harm to residents. In return, the attorneys of the Grand Prix stated that the ordinance has expectations for events benefitting the city. They also stated that there is no evidence that the race would cause harm.

The judge has ordered Grand Prix officials to take decibel-level measurements throughout the weekend. Some of these measurements will also be taken away from the race circuit - at a distance equal to that of the homes of some of the residents filing the lawsuit. This will allow the courts to access the exact noise levels and take a decision post the race weekend.

Formula 1 Miami GP: Residents file lawsuit over fear of hearing damage from F1 race cars-f1miamigp1.jpg

The inaugural Miami Grand Prix will be held between May 7th - 9th. The Miami GP is the second F1 race to be held in USA, following the GP at the Circuit of the Americas. The race will be held in the Hard Rock Stadium complex, on a 19-turn 5.41 km circuit covering 57 laps.

Source: News18

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 26th April 2022 at 12:26.
RahulNagaraj is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 12:47   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Formula 1 Miami GP: Residents file lawsuit over fear of hearing damage from F1 race cars

I am nobody to judge the people. But, this really is such a clear indication of how much we Indians and the Americans are on the opposite side of the Earth. The Americans have filed lawsuit (routine) at the slightest possible opportunity fearing noise. Here we are - with processions, huge speaker walls and beats strong enough to demolish buildings - almost every other day for laughable reasons.

Tough to judge which one is better. I have my opinion - but risky to put it in public .

Back to topic - I suspect this won't be a big threat per se to the actual GP. It will most likely go ahead after "settlement". Given the rather "old-school" track layout - I sure hope it does happen.
Reinhard is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 13:08   #3
Team-BHP Support

re: Formula 1 Miami GP: Residents file lawsuit over fear of hearing damage from F1 race cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I am nobody to judge the people. But, this really is such a clear indication of how much we Indians and the Americans are on the opposite side of the Earth. The Americans have filed lawsuit (routine) at the slightest possible opportunity fearing noise. Here we are - with processions, huge speaker walls and beats strong enough to demolish buildings - almost every other day for laughable reasons.

Tough to judge which one is better. I have my opinion - but risky to put it in public .

Back to topic - I suspect this won't be a big threat per se to the actual GP. It will most likely go ahead after "settlement". Given the rather "old-school" track layout - I sure hope it does happen.
You nailed it, buddy!

I must say the Karens of the US have re-surfaced with the sole intention of ruining the fun for everyone. I am certain the noise levels won't be even close to unbearable. At the most, the residents may be aware of an on-going event in the distance but would still prefer it to be completely quiet. This is done solely for the purpose of publicity or money, or both. This sheer sense of unbridled entitlement must be dealt with appropriately. I am glad the Judge in Miami was quick to understand the nature of the supposed dispute and nip it in the bud.

For the kind of revenue the sport is generating for the state and also the country as a whole, a frivolous and vexatious lawsuit such as this one cannot stop the circus.

It's just shocking how entitled some people can be, living in their own little bubble and refusing to accept any kind of change whatsoever. Unfortunately this is not an issue that is unique to the US, it's all over the world including our own country. But it appears to be quite prevalent in the US.
suhaas307 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 13:59   #4
BHPian

I don’t think it’s just “ Karens “ though, as per reading about discussions on this around though I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s blown up for other motives. Apparently the track is around neighbourhoods where the minorities and lesser fortunate people live. The people who will profit the most are likely living far in nice posh neighbourhoods away from the track.
I have also heard that many people in Singapore did not like the Grand Prix weekend. The massive traffic jams, inconvenience and the noise was not worth the spectacle to them. With street circuits the inconvenience and roads getting blocked lasts longer than just a weekend, you have to build and dismantle the track and f1 wouldn’t be the only series racing there.
A lot of the tracks, especially the old ones are far from the big cities and don’t cause that much inconvenience, in my experience of going to Monza, Imola and Budh.
As a longtime F1 fan, I am also not sure if I would be happy if there was a GP in my backyard even though I live in Noida and not far from Budh. The difference is that when the GP happened it didn’t impact normal noida much as the track is quite isolated and is connected by some of the best roads in the country so even those V8 cars were not an issue
Doge is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 14:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

Having spent a few years seeing/hearing V8s and current generation V6 hybrids. The current generation F1 cars are more silent than lot of cars on American roads.

That said, American care less about F1. I remember tickets for Indianapolis in 2002, retailing at 10 USD for first turn terrace, 75 USD for seats opposite pit lane. That's how poor the sport was treated.

The city of Monza or Monaco too get 'shut down' for the 4-day race weekend, but you have lot more passionate following on the other side of the pond, even though you'd have lot more action against noise elsewhere, like no flights after 1000 pm.

This along with marshalling being a voluntary work is why you don't see reserve days for races.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 15:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
With street circuits the inconvenience and roads getting blocked lasts longer than just a weekend, you have to build and dismantle the track and f1 wouldn’t be the only series racing there.
Looking at the track on a map, we should call it a parking-lot circuit than street circuit.
Old 26th April 2022, 15:22   #7
BHPian

Simply put, the Harley's on the Miami Roads make more noise than the F1's engine rhythm. So its not really about the noise, the main motive seems to be something else.

This case will surely head to a settlement of some XXXX amount, and that to me exactly seems to be the motive of it.
iamahunter is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 15:48   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have also heard that many people in Singapore did not like the Grand Prix weekend. The massive traffic jams, inconvenience and the noise was not worth the spectacle to them. With street circuits the inconvenience and roads getting blocked lasts longer than just a weekend, you have to build and dismantle the track and f1 wouldn’t be the only series racing there.
Singapore and Monaco are very very different and incomparable to the Miami circuit. Both Singapore and Monaco are small cities with tightly packed infrastructure and dense population. The Miami circuit is basically a parking lot, and anyone familiar with the US will know just how spaced out blocks and buildings are.

I had been to this year's season opener at Bahrain and we were to watch qualifying on Saturday evening and immediately after, walk to the amphitheater situated about 400 meters from the main circuit. Of course, the Porsche cup series was also on and so was F2 and we were worried that it may interfere with the Eric Clapton concert at the amphitheater. You wouldn't believe me if I told you, but there was absolutely no sound coming from the circuit when we reached the amphitheater.

So I am quite certain that the noise from the circuit will not be overwhelming or loud enough to warrant complete stoppage of the event.

Quote:
As a longtime F1 fan, I am also not sure if I would be happy if there was a GP in my backyard even though I live in Noida and not far from Budh. The difference is that when the GP happened it didn’t impact normal noida much as the track is quite isolated and is connected by some of the best roads in the country so even those V8 cars were not an issue
This reminds me of a lawsuit filed by some because their neighbor had a home garage and he would routinely work on his cars in that garage, and somehow the neighbor working in his own garage would interfere with the peace and quiet of the house.

Some people just want to cause problems for others and derive joy in doing so.
suhaas307 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 17:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Singapore and Monaco are very very different and incomparable to the Miami circuit. Both Singapore and Monaco are small cities with tightly packed infrastructure and dense population. The Miami circuit is basically a parking lot, and anyone familiar with the US will know just how spaced out blocks and buildings are.

This reminds me of a lawsuit filed by some because their neighbor had a home garage and he would routinely work on his cars in that garage, and somehow the neighbor working in his own garage would interfere with the peace and quiet of the house.

Some people just want to cause problems for others and derive joy in doing so.
In singapore the circuit gets dismantled the same night and next morning school buses will be on the same track!

The case you are mentioning did happen. Two additional points to state how ridiculous the case was: 1) The guy who built the garage himself sold this piece of land to the karens who complained! 2) He was on a wheelchair, disabled and took the money from the sale to fix up cars.

I guess a lac of rowdy bikers up and down the stretch of daytona beach is ok, but somehow a 3 day F1 in miami is the issue. Short sighted to say the least.
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 19:24   #10
BHPian

Better install the sound screen pre-emptively
Old 27th April 2022, 09:21   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Formula 1 Miami GP: Residents file lawsuit over fear of hearing damage from F1 race cars

Wondering what would happen to the residents if F1 still had the glorious V10 engines. Today's V6s are so "meh".

Or maybe, they wouldn't protest at all after listening to these sweet, sweet melodies.
GTO is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 09:47   #12
BHPian

Re: Formula 1 Miami GP: Residents file lawsuit over fear of hearing damage from F1 race cars

My house in US was around 2 miles from the Charlotte Motors Speedway, famous for NASCAR. It also held dirt track racing, drag races and other events regularly throughout the year.

Even at a distance of 2 miles (by road), I could clearly hear the sound caused by racing cars and drag racing cars. Now did it disturb me or not is a different question.

I lived in Tampa, Florida for quite some time to understand Florida a bit. Its a pensioner's paradise - zero state tax on pension, good medical facility, warm weather, retirement communities, load of activities like fishing, boating and parties.

A senior couple once called police upon me in the evening, since I used to take a walk in the community after dinner. They thought it disturbed them. Now this is where this thinking comes from.

Regards
chandrda is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 12:25   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Goosebumps .

I wish I could go back in time and attend a live F1 race with these engines. One of my cousins had the chance to go to a live race when he was in Germany, I think in the late 90s. He still brags about it and tells us stories of how they were given ear plugs before entering the track.

Call me a fanatic but yeah thats my race fantasy

Check Lewis Hamilton's reaction to that sound.

Last edited by Kickdown : 29th April 2022 at 12:40. Reason: Added a link
Kickdown is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 12:58   #14
BHPian

Early this month I was at Miami and Ft.Lauderdale, there was an annual music fest. The car in which we were travelling shook with the music that came from the beach venue. I don't know why those residents did not object to this

It was really fun to see people all over the beach queuing up for the event and they were wanting to get into the venue to hear the music so loud.

I feel the Jude did the right thing, let it happen first and then let them decide if beyond bearable limit they can stop it next year.
Old 29th April 2022, 21:55   #15
BHPian

In 2000, the ear drums would start to shred by the 5th lap and by the 7th lap with out ear plugs you would go deaf at Interlagos, a purpose built track surrounded by residential buildings. I wonder what the fuss is all about about the current meek hybrid engines. McLaren invite kit had ear plugs for all the 3 days of the race weekend.

Last edited by AJITHAAA : 29th April 2022 at 21:58.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks