Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2022, 15:45   #1
Senior - BHPian

MotoGP: Suzuki set to quit at the end of the 2022 season

Suzuki is set to quit MotoGP at the end of the ongoing 2022 season. Suzuki's decision to leave the premier motorcycle racing class comes as a surprise not only to the fans but also to many within the team itself.

MotoGP: Suzuki set to quit at the end of the 2022 season-suzukimotogp1.jpg

As per reports, the heads of Suzuki gathered all the team members on Monday to announce their decision to leave MotoGP at the end of this season. The decision to leave has also thrown the futures of 2020 World Champion Joan Mir and three-time race winner Alex Rins' into the unknown.

MotoGP: Suzuki set to quit at the end of the 2022 season-suzukimotogp2.jpg

Suzuki had been one of the mainstays of the sport right until 2011, winning multiple world championship titles along the way. The team left the sport in 2011 but made a return in 2015. Upon return, Suzuki won their first race in 2016 with Maverick Vinales, before winning the World Championship in 2020 with Joan Mir.

Source: Autosport

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 16:46   #2
BANNED

Re: MotoGP: Suzuki set to quit at the end of the 2022 season

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
Suzuki is set to quit MotoGP at the end of the ongoing 2022 season.
No reasons are cited yet for the exit. But I have a wild guess or sixth sense that it is not based on any strategy, but purely on sentiments. There may be some fall-out with Livio Suppo / riders who called the bike as "goat" or so after the Spanish GP. The company provided all they asked for - rear lowering device, more engine power etc, but they still couldn't deliver and calling the bike as a "goat" might have irked the management. But will a company like will take such harsh decisions like this based on some sentiments? I am not sure.

Anyway, let's wait for some official words for the actual reason. Very disappointed by the Suzuki decision.
Old 3rd May 2022, 19:28   #3
BHPian

Suzuki has been playing catch-up game with other manufacturers (Ducati, KTM, Honda, Yamaha and Aprilia) on the innovation front. Even when they finally delivered the techs like the Holeshot device and the Ride Height device, they are far less competent (especially the Ride Height device) than that of the others. It requires continuous investment to stay ahead in the game.

On the other hand, their production motorcycles have been seeing steady decline in sales due to very similar reasons. On one end of the spectrum you have the expensive Ducati Panigale V4R, BMW M1000RR and on the other end you have extremely value for money product like Kawasaki ZX-10R. All of them and everything in-between like the Honda Fireblade and Yamaha R1M are loaded with the latest and greatest of race-techs to the brim. In comparison, Suzuki's GSX-R1000 feels quite dated.

Mir and Rins both are among the best. They or their comments are less likely to be the reasons since business cannot be run on sentiments. Therefore, I believe Suzuki is quitting because of one of the following two probable reasons.
  1. The investment into MotoGP does not make business sense anymore for them as even the top manufacturers do not make any significant profit from MotoGP.
  2. May be they are taking a break like before to make their MotoGP prototype as well as the production bikes competitive. If we see some organizational restructuring in the coming months, then this is definitely a possibility.

Also, I believe Dorna may try to get Kawasaki or BMW onboard with MotoGP as they are already prominent players in WSBK. My bet will be on Kawasaki as they are right at the top of WSBK and has past history in MotoGP.
psurelia is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 17:25   #4
BHPian

The meme (courtesy: r/motogp) summarizes my feeling. I am still hoping that the news is not true as there is no confirmation from Drona yet. Suzuki is getting stronger and better as the 2022 season progresses. This news or rather a rumour can severely backfire on their progression.

Suzuki, please don't do this!
Attached Images

Old 4th May 2022, 21:39   #5
BANNED

Source: https://www.motorcyclesports.net/art...-franco-uncini

"So they definitely started with the idea of continuing and doing well, then I don't understand how suddenly something changed. It seems like they made such a big decision in such a short time. It's a big setback. At the beginning of the season they even thought they were going to expand with a satellite team, now it's the complete opposite."
Old 4th May 2022, 21:51   #6
BHPian

Suzuki since past 3 years has been competitive in MotoGp. Even this year they are at second place. I dont think innovation side they have any problems. Suzuki is more balanced at the corners than the Respol Hondas, or even the Yamahas. Surprised some are quoting Kawasaki in this forum when Kawasaki isnt there st all in Motogp. Anyways the reasons of this shock news will come out soon.
Old 5th May 2022, 13:36   #7
BANNED

Source: https://the-race.com/motogp/suzukis-...ated-strategy/

Quote:
"... the concept of translating racing success into immediate and tangible dividends in the dealerships has morphed. Sure, there’s still some cross-promotional benefit to racing, but it’s not the same as it was as recently as 20 years ago when sports bikes still ruled the markets.

To be fair to the company’s management, it’s not like it’s on the verge of bankruptcy, with healthy sales of half a million bikes in another key developing market: India. But, without the same racing-crazy culture there (despite annual sales in 2021 of over 15 million bikes), there isn’t the same racing-to-road link."
The possible reasons for exit that I could gather from news articles:

1. The participation in racing doesn't convert into sales.
2. No external sponsors. Ecstar is a Suzuki company.

And another reason I guess:

The riders are not winning the races or not even in podium many times. So, no news headlines citing "Suzuki wins", so no implicit advertisements.

So the only way Suzuki to withdraw this sad decision may be: Mir and Rins have to win podiums!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks