Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2023, 11:25   #1
BHPian

2023 Formula 1 Mexican Grand Prix | Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez | Mexico City | 27 - 29 October

The last 11 races at this circuit have seen 11 different pole sitters! Will Max break that streak or will we have a 12th pole sitter?

Max has topped FP1 and FP2 but the gaps are close so hoping the qualifying and race to be interesting.

2023 Formula 1 Mexican Grand Prix | Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez | Mexico City | 27 - 29 October-track.jpg

Trivia - The 20% air pressure reduction at 7,200ft AMSL (above mean sea level) means Mexico has taken over from Italy as the race with the highest top speeds.

In the 2016 race Valtteri Bottas set the fastest ever trap speed in F1 history (231.46mph) but Williams telemetry said his maximum speed reached 231.96mph before braking for Turn 1. Thats 373 kmph!

2023 Formula 1 Mexican Grand Prix | Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez | Mexico City | 27 - 29 October-circuit.jpg

2023 Formula 1 Mexican Grand Prix | Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez | Mexico City | 27 - 29 October-stats.jpg

Times(IST)
2023 Formula 1 Mexican Grand Prix | Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez | Mexico City | 27 - 29 October-schedule.jpg

Sources:
https://www.formula1.com/en/racing/2...o/Circuit.html
https://f1tv.formula1.com/
https://www.fia.com/news/f1-2023-mex...d-prix-preview
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...pNG8Tap0M.html
Scarlet_Rider is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2023, 13:09   #2
BHPian

Re: 2023 Formula 1 Mexican Grand Prix | Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez | Mexico City | 27 - 29 October

Lovely to see the Ferraris locking up the 1-2 spot but I highly doubt how well it will last in the race. Lando got unlucky with the Yellow flags and now is almost starting at the back of the grid.

Qualifying Results
2023 Formula 1 Mexican Grand Prix | Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez | Mexico City | 27 - 29 October-screenshot-910.png

Source- ESPN F1
ex-innova-guy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2023, 13:19   #3
BHPian

Re: 2023 Formula 1 Mexican Grand Prix | Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez | Mexico City | 27 - 29 October

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
The last 11 races at this circuit have seen 11 different pole sitters! Will Max break that streak or will we have a 12th pole sitter?
Leclerc has broken the streak by taking pole. He was on pole at this track in 2019 as well. Whether the prancing horses will finish on the podium is a question mark.

Not sure how Perez is feeling after Ricciardo out qualified him in Red Bull's sister car.

Last edited by Scarlet_Rider : 29th October 2023 at 13:22.
Scarlet_Rider is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2023, 13:31   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
Leclerc has broken the streak by taking pole. He was on pole at this track in 2019 as well. Whether the prancing horses will finish on the podium is a question mark.
This is his 22nd Pole! I only hope he wins more races than taking Poles. I wasn't keen on watching the race given the scheduled time but Prancing horses will keep me awake.

Quote:
Not sure how Perez is feeling after Ricciardo out qualified him in Red Bull's sister car.
At this point Perez is just a driver on a contract. I don't see him do anything other then spoiling others races. He is simply not racing and it would have been interesting to see him fighting for the win with Max atleast once!
ex-innova-guy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2023, 14:27   #5
BHPian

I was up until Q2 putting off my sleep. After seeing Ferrari's performance I thought it isn't worth it and slept. Woke up today, opened insta only to find out they ended up P1 and P2. Quickly opened F1 app for highlights and assumed there must be lap times deleted or maybe there was traffic or some red flag but none if it, they actually put together perfect lap
My guess those tyres work perfectly for them in certain window and once it is gone they will fall down the pecking order. But hope they outscore Merc and get on the podium.
Revvatron is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 08:05   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Max Verstappen dominates the Mexican Grand Prix.

Max Verstappen managed to break another record – this time one of his own – after storming to his 16th victory of the season in the Mexico City Grand Prix.

Quote:

The world champion lined up in P3 on the grid for the race and made an impressive start, having started to challenge pole-sitter Charles Leclerc into the first corner. While Red Bull team mate Sergio Perez found himself out of the running after colliding with Leclerc, Verstappen stayed out of trouble and had a mostly unchallenged run to the win.
Quote:
Daniel Ricciardo’s P7 was AlphaTauri’s best result of the 2023 season.
2023 Formula 1 Mexican Grand Prix | Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez | Mexico City | 27 - 29 October-screenshot-20231030-081214.png

Last edited by volkman10 : 30th October 2023 at 08:13.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 08:38   #7
BHPian

What Checo was thinking, trying to win the race on turn 1 on your home turf and become a hero, but ended up as zero. His desperation and frustration are really showing up. Same with George, he is no match to Lewis. Great race from Lando after botching the restart and wonderful to see Daniel is back.

And for a change, Ferrari had some clear plans, but red flag kind of ruined it, but good race in the end for them.

Last edited by rx100 : 30th October 2023 at 08:39.
rx100 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 10:01   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

What a wonderful race it turned out for the two British drivers - Hamilton and Norris. Not so much for the local hero - and he's got no one to blame other than himself.

Biggest surprise of the weekend - the good run by Daniel Ricciardo over the weekend to end up P4 in qualifying and P7 overall. And to give credit to him, he did give a good fight to Piastri, Russell and Norris.

-----------------

It's taken a while, but team Checko needs to get comfortable with the truth that they have had a good run with Red Bull and it's best they call it quits this year itself. He got a lifeline out of the blue in Q4'20 from RedBull and he's had a glorious two years in 2021 and 2022. In 2023, he probably dreamt big that he'll give Max a fight to the top spot; and was able to do so in the first block of races. But since then, especially the second half, it's been a downward spiral and unless he is able to pull a miracle out of the hat in the last 3 races, I'll probably bet my money and predict the following two outcomes

1. Red Bull pulls the plug early by one year and chuck out Checko
2. Checko decides to go into retirement immediately
ninjatalli is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 10:35   #9
BHPian

As always Ferrari give up track position. They were good on the 1st stint of mediums and should have put the same post Red Flag. The 5 lap period at which mediums would degrade more simply didn't come! Always disappointing to see that strategy is asked to drivers and left to decide to them rather than they deciding it given they have live data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
What a wonderful race it turned out for the two British drivers - Hamilton and Norris.
If Norris had not dropped places after the Red Flag Restart he would have easily challenged Charles for the podium. He was literally flying.

Quote:
Biggest surprise of the weekend - the good run by Daniel Ricciardo over the weekend to end up P4 in qualifying and P7 overall.
A wonderful drive indeed and he almost had Russell in the last 2-3 laps. His teammate Yuki was also doing great until he lost his cool and pulled a move like Checo in the 1st turn.

Quote:
But since then, especially the second half, it's been a downward spiral and unless he is able to pull a miracle out of the hat in the last 3 races, I'll probably bet my money and predict the following two outcomes

1. Red Bull pulls the plug early by one year and chuck out Checko
2. Checko decides to go into retirement immediately
Spot on! Why would a top team keep him given that they have already given him more than enough chances. He has scored less than half of what Max has scored! Yesterdays move makes the decision even more simpler.
ex-innova-guy is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 11:12   #10
BHPian

Perez's 1st corner incident sums up his whole season. I was hoping for one last glory from him at his home race, but no. He was eager and tried to impress the crowd on the 1st corner.

Too bad for him, but I am not going to miss him next year if he loses his seat. Ricciardo would provide more entertainment than Perez in that Redbull

Superb drive from Hamilton and Ricciardo. Excellent recovery race from Norris. Russel looks lost and frustrated unnecessarily

This time, rather than Ferrari Pitwall it was their drivers who messed up the strategy and gave up track position.

Regards
chandrda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 11:38   #11
BHPian

I'm surprised that Perez didn't announce his retirement from formula 1 yesterday. He's lost his mojo and is now just ruining others people's races.
avdhesh15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 12:25   #12
BHPian

Congratulations to Max Verstappen on a record 16th win of the season! He is in a different league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
I'm surprised that Perez didn't announce his retirement from formula 1 yesterday. He's lost his mojo and is now just ruining others people's races.
May be he did not have any bodyguards available as they were allocated to Max!
Old 30th October 2023, 13:43   #13
BHPian

How good is this Mercedes with its tyres. Ferrari had no option but to take hard compound because it will chew off the mediums. I assumed towards the end of race the mediums of Hamilton will start to go off and Leclerc will pass him. Forget about passing him, he put on fastest lap on 40 lap old tyres. If the situation was reversed then definitely Ham on hards would have passed Lec on mediums.
Revvatron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2023, 11:38   #14
BHPian

Feel for Perez, so much pf pressure already on him and the pressure to perform at home ended the race disastrously and the clock is ticking down very fast for him.

Looks like George has his issues and will he be the person to take over the mantle at Mercedes after Lewis is debatable.

Happy for Riccardio and his team, that is a stellar result.

So happy for Albon and looks like he will be swooped by a bigger team next year.

Ferrari keeps finding ways to mess up. Pity.

Most Viewed