Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2007, 11:13   #46
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I am going against the tide here, but I feel Alonso may just end up racing for Mclaren in 2008:

1. He is incredibly thick-skinned and will not let the politics affect him that much.

2. Ego : He has got a huge one. Wouldnt want to talk away from Mc having a newbie beat him fair and square. Target : Beat Hamilton in 2008.

3. No other top team seat available for 2008.

4. Other champions have, but IMHO Fonso is not built for a sabbatical.

5. Ron : You cant deny that this man puts his team above everything else. Why wont he let Fonso race in 2008 when he knows very well that Hamilton + Fonso combo is the strongest. Period. Which other *TOP* driver does he have to replace Fonso?
Old 3rd October 2007, 11:38   #47
Team-BHP Support

Jean Todt has clearly said that Massa and Kimi will be driving for Ferrari next year. Alonso will either stick with McLaren or go to Renault. I don't think he'll go to Williams because their car isn't really great. Bernie has asked Ron Dennis to consider Nico Rosberg if Alonso leaves.
Wherever Alonso goes, no one can deny that he's a great racer. Whatever the team, I'd like to see him racing in 2008.
Old 3rd October 2007, 11:51   #48
Team-BHP Support

Poor Fonso. He dug his grave and now it looks like he's going to end up lying in it.

He is too good a driver to simply disappear into the mid field like JV did. I hope he puts his ego on hold, makes up with Mclaren and sticks on for 2008. These sort of tantrums are not what is expected from a double world Champion.
Old 3rd October 2007, 12:31   #49
BHPian

Yes, it would be tragic to let racing talent like Alonso to waste... At the end of the day, he's got a multi-year contract with McLaren, & he IS a double world champion. If he loses the championship to Lewis, or in the rather unlikely event, to Kimi, what better way to answer his critics than to win it back in 2008 ? And if Dennis does let pride stand in the way, & Alonso is side-tracked, who's to replace him ? Pedro ? I don't think so...
Old 3rd October 2007, 14:47   #50
BHPian

[quote=GTO;582796

2. Ego : He has got a huge one. Wouldnt want to talk away from Mc having a newbie beat him fair and square. Target : Beat Hamilton in 2008.

quote]

Good point GTO , sure alonso wouldnt want to be sitting in renault garage watching the reds and silvers doing the honours on the podium .

and the new speculation is mcl will be fielding 4 similair cars (Mcl & Prodrive) , and hamilton would be leading prodrive , and would be the highest paid driver next season .
Old 3rd October 2007, 21:05   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Poor Fonso. He dug his grave and now it looks like he's going to end up lying in it.
Alonso has just not got what he deserved, with "1" on his car, its obvious he expected that kind of treatment or any one of us would expect, he wasnt beaten because LH was a mile better, it just wasnt his luck. The only thing McLaren didnt do was give him that 1% they could have given him, trust me it would have made a lot of difference.

Remember he is a 2 time world champion, he isnt happy with two, i am sure he wouldnt want to lie in that grave for too long.

Last edited by turbolader : 3rd October 2007 at 21:06.
Old 4th October 2007, 11:52   #52
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Alonso has just not got what he deserved, with "1" on his car, its obvious he expected that kind of treatment or any one of us would expect, he wasnt beaten because LH was a mile better, it just wasnt his luck. The only thing McLaren didnt do was give him that 1% they could have given him, trust me it would have made a lot of difference.
Gimme a break! Mclaren is well-known for their driver equal policy, and Alonso should have never expected preferential treatment from Ron Dennis. Equal cars and equal support. The only way to win is on track.
Old 4th October 2007, 12:10   #53
Senior - BHPian

Wherever Alonso goes i am sure that next year he will be one of the leading contenders for the WC.
Old 4th October 2007, 16:09   #54
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also on this talk of preferential treatment.....shouldnt Hamilton logically get it now, since he is leading the WC with 12 points and 2 races to go? That is just not Mclaren.
Old 4th October 2007, 16:35   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Also on this talk of preferential treatment.....shouldnt Hamilton logically get it now, since he is leading the WC with 12 points and 2 races to go? That is just not Mclaren.
Yeah! The thing is that Hamilton drove better and more consistently and yes he had some luck going for him.. But you cannot deny that the guy has some awesome skill...
Old 5th October 2007, 23:26   #56
NSX
BHPian

lets not forget that nobody gave mac a chance at the start of the season, so it is very presumptive to say anything about who could be quickest next season. one thing is for sure that whichever car alonso drives, he will be competitive. He is supremely talented and minus last week's farcical race (19+4 laps behind SC) & DNF he has had a decent 2007 season too. but just a suggestion to RD, its all ok to being righteous "equal car equal opp etc etc.." but he does not learn from his past mistakes, you cant build a winning team with your drivers at each other's throats. the role of a team boss surely is to bring in discipline and a code of conduct within the team.
one thing for sure like alonso says "next year will be interesting, with all the driver aids (like traction control etc..) unavailable, simulator boys turned race drivers watch out"
Old 7th October 2007, 00:44   #57
BHPian

Don't mean to be OT but has anyone read Alonso's latest rants! He has all but accused Mclaren of being unprofessional for not giving him special treatment and for being equal in their treatment of both drivers. Is he a prima donna or what?! He alleges favourtism only because it wasn't shown in his favour. He has even claimed to be responsible for how good the Mclaren is this year! Someone please show him the door. The sport will be better without whiners like him.

Alonso criticises McLaren over treatment | Reuters

Last edited by kartikkumar : 7th October 2007 at 00:45. Reason: Improper link to article
Old 8th October 2007, 11:37   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gimme a break! Mclaren is well-known for their driver equal policy, and Alonso should have never expected preferential treatment from Ron Dennis. Equal cars and equal support. The only way to win is on track.
Heh-heh Rush, I'm sure you saw their faces yesterday after Hamilton's debacle - it was like the entire Mclaren camp was in mourning! The fact that they had another driver in there who is close to clinching the WDC was just not manifested in their behaviour!

I don't like Alonso but I did think the partiality was there for all to visibly see yesterday & that didn't look very professional or equal to me.
Old 8th October 2007, 14:21   #59
BHPian

Hi... I think the "conspiracy" buffs are reading too much into the Hamilton tragedy ! He was very very lucky at the European GP, at the Nurburgring, earlier this year when he was winched back on to the track, car & all, & with the engine still running !?! I thought it was crazy, if not a grossly unsafe thing to do ! Being that as it may, to be denied the safety of tarmac, by just a few feet, that's really tragic...

When everything is pushed to the limits, these things happen - I mean these 2.4 liter engines push out more than 750 bhp, the tires operate at 100 C, & the brakes at more than 600 C - one begins to wonder how they complete a single GP at all...

Remember Schumi last year, an engine blow-up in Japan, & his puncture in Brazil ? It isn't over until it's over...
Old 8th October 2007, 16:27   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I2. Ego : He has got a huge one. Wouldnt want to talk away from Mc having a newbie beat him fair and square. Target : Beat Hamilton in 2008.
I'm sure his target is - Beat Hamilton in 2007 !

Although he said that it's almost impossible, all it needs is another stroke of bad luck for Hamilton.

Most Viewed