Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2007, 21:47   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
I
Like Dippy, I'm more interested in the vacant seat at McLaren. Heikki's been saying he's in talks with "many" teams, then there's Rosberg, Vettel, Kubica, & Davidson. I doubt McLaren would run a whole season with Pedro.
Believe heiki and fonso are going to switch seats , rosberg is likely to stay put at williams , bmw's looks to be more than happy with their current drivers.
Old 3rd November 2007, 10:23   #32
BHPian

there is a speculation in both spanish and itish media that alonso was released under the clause that he will not race for a manufacturer next year..
Old 3rd November 2007, 10:54   #33
BHPian

Interesting hypothesis today in the Hindu:

Alonso may be looking for a lesser team and abide his time to move to Ferrari.

Personally I dont see this happening any time soon as Kimi has delivered in Ferrari and they should stick with him! Massa also has extended his contract and if Alonso is looking to move to Ferrari it may just mean that he has to opt for lower teams for 2 years which I dont see happening
Old 6th November 2007, 13:35   #34
Senior - BHPian

For Sale!

Red Bull to auction two F1 cars - the red bull racing team is auctioning off their cars next march. The two cars driven by Coulthard & Webber will be helping a charity in the area of Spinal cord research.
Anyone interested?

autosport.com - the Daily Grapevine: F1: Red Bull to auction two F1 cars
Old 7th November 2007, 23:46   #35
BHPian

Well, it looks like Rosberg is with Williams for yet another season.

Nico Rosberg and Kazuki Nakajima for Williams in 2008
Old 8th November 2007, 23:00   #36
Senior - BHPian

So the unholy alliance has finally split. Where does that leave Alonso? What do we know? Here are the possible scenarios:

1. Flavio Briatore wants his man. He has put an offer on Alonso's table, one that is atleast for 2 years. Nelson Piquet is almost certain to race, which leaves Heikki's seat in balance, ie, IF alonso accepts the Renault offer.

which means, Heikki/Nelsinho or Alonso/Nelsinho or Webber/Nelsinho at Renault.(see below '3') Bye Bye Fisico.

2. According to Spanish press, Alonso's manager is talking to Redbull. Now, that may/may not be a 1 year deal. Also, David and Mark are contracted for 2008.

which means, Alonso/Webber or Alonso/David at Redbull.

3. If Alonso does move to Redbull, David might be drafted into a Torro Rosso seat. As for Webber, Briatore can put him in a Renault alongside Nelsinho and pack Heikki off to Mclaren (if they'd take him)

which means, David/Vettel or the already named Bourdais/Vettel at Torro Rosso.

4. Toyota and Williams have announced their pairing. Frank Williams are Patrick Head are adamant that they will not let Rosberg go. Also, Toyota have ruled themselves out of the Alonso-race.

which means Rosberg/Nakajima at Williams and Trulli/Timo Glock at Toyota.

5. Mclaren have yet to confirm their 2nd driver. Santander, their Spanish sponsor would like De la Rosa in that seat. There are 2 races on Spanish soil next year. See the angle...

which means Heikki/Hamilton or De la Rosa/Hamilton or XYZ/Hamilton or even Webber/Hamilton at Mclaren (if Alonso were to sign for redbull)

6. IF Alonso signs a 1 year deal with Redbull, then he could already be talking to Ferrari/BMW for 2009. Now, Kimi has a contract for next year and if he does well, there is no reason why Ferrari shouldnt lock him in for 2009 and beyond.

But, as recent evidence has shown, BMW might be title contenders come 2009. Alonso might be their man.

The circus goes on...

Last edited by MaserQ : 8th November 2007 at 23:04.
Old 14th November 2007, 00:02   #37
BHPian

What if....

What is mentioned below in this post is just something that is going on in my mind and in no way any information of any kind.

What if the rules where a bit different? I dont know what got me thinking about this but here goes...

1. Instead of 2 drivers, each team could have 3 drivers for a season. But only 2 cars for a race.

2. Each driver can drive a maximum of 6 races only and a minimum of 3 races in a season.

Would this increase the competition? or am I thinking something that's very illogical?

PS: mods, if this is not the right thread, kindly move it to the appropriate one.
Old 8th December 2007, 14:28   #38
Senior - BHPian

Ralf makes hint at F1 retirement

Schumacher tests for Force India in Jerez earlier this week

Ralf Schumacher looks set to call time on his Formula One career after a poor test drive for Force India, according to German newspapers.

Schumacher, out of contract since October, was one of seven drivers testing for the former Spyker team.

But the 32-year-old told German tabloid Bild: "It looks like that was the last time I will drive a Formula One car.

"It is not expected that I join Force India, I took on the test drive as an opportunity to prove myself."

Force India are looking for a driver to partner German Adrian Sutil, who has been retained for 2008.
I would like to continue my career in F1, but it is not an obligation
Ralf Schumacher

Schumacher was competing for a racing seat alongside Giancarlo Fisichella, Christian Klien, Viantonio Liuzzi, Franck Montagny, Giedo van der Garde and Roldan Rodriguez.
But after the test in Spain, Schumacher was 20th and last of all the drivers - nearly three seconds behind leader BMW driver Robert Kubica.

"I would like to continue my career in F1, but it is not an obligation," Schumacher added on television channel RTL. "I would like to continue, but I don't know if these are the right conditions."

The younger brother of seven-times world champion Michael Schumacher left Toyota in October after three years with the team.

Before that he enjoyed six Grand Prix wins in a 179-race career with Williams, but has so far attracted little interest for his services in 2008.

Testing for the Ferrari-powered Force India brought Schumacher full circle having started his career at Jordan, the team renamed Midland and then Spyker, before it was bought by Indian billionaire Vijay Mallya and Dutch entrepreneur Michiel Mol.

Schumacher has already declared his interest in filling the McLaren drive vacated by Spaniard Fernando Alonso and has been told they will make a decision on who will partner Lewis Hamilton in January

BBC SPORT | Motorsport | Formula One | Ralf makes hint at F1 retirement
Old 8th December 2007, 14:56   #39
BANNED

Looking at Ralf's performance in 2007, I would definitely say he has lost the touch. Temporarily or no, I don't know. But he has lost it.
It's better to retire than carry on racing and always ending up last or DNF. The technical input from a driver is very much important and elder Schumacher was a master in that. Very sadly, Ralf is not very good in that it seems.

Where is Fonsi parked these days? Flavio has taken him home?
Old 8th December 2007, 16:12   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post

Where is Fonsi parked these days? Flavio has taken him home?
Not too sure where hes going but I beleive he is insisting on a 1 year contract only which a lot of teams arent willing to give him.

Fernando Alonso, recently let go from the telenovela known as the McLaren F1 Team, is in a bit of a quandary. He's looking for a team that can keep him at the top of the standings, but he only wants to sign a contract for a year. That's because the teams he really wants to join, Ferrari or BMW-Sauber, can't even think of making a move until the end of 2008 (and in Ferrari's case, really until the end of 2009). However, the only teams he's got a chance of signing with -- Renault, Red Bull, or Toyota -- have unresolved situations, aren't winners, and won't accept the one-year contract stipulation.

F1: Alonso headed to... McLaren? - Autoblog

Last edited by khanak : 8th December 2007 at 16:14.
Old 10th December 2007, 19:16   #41
Senior - BHPian

Emerging reports confirm that Fernando Alonso has signed a two-year contract with the Renault F1 Team, with which he won a pair of world titles before defecting to a tumultuous and disappointing year with McLaren. The contract, according to Spanish newspaper El Mundo, will make Alonso one of the top-paid drivers currently in F1 at a staggering $50 million per season (According to the Wikipedia, Kimi Räikkönen makes $51 million/year). The deal is also reported to include minimal obligations towards Renault's sponsors, an exit clause should Alonso wish to terminate early, and clear, defined #1 status for Alonso over his team-mate.
That role, according to the reports, is set to be taken up by Nelson Piquet, Jr., who will be filling the #2 spot at Renault. The news subsequently leaves current drivers Giancarlo Fisichella and Heikki Kovalainen without confirmed rides for next season, fuelling speculation that Kovalainen could take up Alonso's now-vacant seat at McLaren, especially since news broke of Nico Rosberg's renewal at Williams.
The official announcement from Renault is anticipated shortly, and Alonso is expected to begin testing next year's Renault car at his native Spain's Valencia test track late in January.

BREAKING: Alonso signs with Renault - Autoblog
Old 10th December 2007, 19:50   #42
BHPian

Ralf's best time was with BMW Williams where he usually stacked up wins.Toyota not at all a disaster but podium visits were very much less.but he has got talent which he proved with BMW Williams.i think Ralf might get an opening at McLaren.
Well saw Fisichella testing with force india on TV,may be he is going to pair with sutil.Since alonso is back to Renault ,fisichella will be the one out of Renault team.
Old 11th December 2007, 01:08   #43
Senior - BHPian

Looks like Ralf is going to be leaving for sure.

Talk about airing your family's dirty laundry in public. Michael Schumacher has made a public statement to his kid brother Ralf, urging him to consider taking a sabbatical from F1.
The news comes hot on the heels of a less-than-spectacular test Ralf undertook for Force India, the team formerly known as Spyker, which has two of the remaining seats open on the F1 grid for next season. Team owner Vijay Mallya and Schumi Jr. formed close links when the Indian tycoon's Kingfisher Airlines was sponsoring Ralf's Toyota, and the German driver was strongly linked to a potential drive for the new team. Unfortunately for Ralf, the test didn't go so well, prompting him to admit that the session could very well be his last drive in F1.
His considerably more successful brother, meanwhile, urged him to consider taking a sabbatical from Formula One, pointing out that, following his own retirement, it wasn't hard for him to come back for the recent test sessions for Ferrari, in which he posted top lap times. Michael was quick to point out, however, that he himself had no intention of returning to the race seat.

Schumacher to Schumacher: Time for a break, junior - Autoblog
Old 11th December 2007, 02:14   #44
BHPian

So Mr. Alonso is back home (Renault!). Planet-f1 news today!
Old 11th December 2007, 09:51   #45
Senior - BHPian

Well now seems like the markets will be hot with all transfers getting underway...

Most Viewed