Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2007, 10:29   #46
BHPian

Mallya should GRAB Hekki with both hands. A better driver he will not get.
Old 11th December 2007, 17:34   #47

Alonso's signed a 2 year contract with Renault alright! Here is another report from MSN India

As for Ralf, I have a strong hunch that Mallya's having some plan for him. I can't imagine any other reason for him being around Mallya in almost all the media reports I have seen or read since the formation of Force India.
Old 11th December 2007, 23:17   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingForIndia View Post
Mallya should GRAB Hekki with both hands. A better driver he will not get.
One hundred percent in agreement. No shootout required for this.
Old 12th December 2007, 00:20   #49
Senior - BHPian

Mallya can have him, if Heki wants to drive for FI.Mclaren is a much better prospect for a driver of his caliber.
Old 12th December 2007, 02:16   #50
Senior - BHPian

After yesterday’s announcement from Renault there are only 3 teams left with vacant race seats for 2008 Formula 1 season and there are several drivers aiming to land one of them.

McLaren
The vacancy in McLaren always attracts big interest and this is the second year in a row when 1 seat is up for grabs (last year it went to Lewis Hamilton). The drivers most often mentioned in connection with 2008 McLaren race seat are McLaren’s test driver Pedro de la Rosa, freshly unemployed Heikki Kovalainen as well as Force India’s Adrian Sutil. The other McLaren test driver Gary Paffet seems to be a distant 4th option.

Pedro de la Rosa pros:
- experience in testing and set up
- no challenge to Hamilton
- he is Spanish, would make Spanish sponsors happy
cons:
- did not really light the car on fire alongside Kimi Raikkonen in 2006
- likely would be only a transitional appointment

Heikki Kovalainen pros:
- young and talented
- likely would be a match for Lewis Hamilton
- he is a Finn and they do have a history in the team
cons:
- lack of experience in car set up
- young - 2 so young drivers in a top team might be risky choice

Adrian Sutil pros:
- young and talented
- may be a match for Lewis Hamilton
- he is German, might go well with Mercedes and other German sponsors
cons:
- he would have to be bought out of his Force India contract
- lack of experience in car set up
- erratic at times
- young - 2 so young drivers in a top team might be risky choice

Super Aguri
There is not much buzz about Super Aguri drivers. But while Sato seems to be secure in the team, Anthony Davidson may or may not remain. Nothing has been officially confirmed and no names have been mentioned for long time. It may all go down to financial situation of this team and the wishes of their sponsors or new investors. There has been string of young drivers testing with them (and Honda) in Barcelona and Jerez, but if Davidson is repleced it will likely be by a pay driver…

Force India
The new found financial stability of former Jordan/Midland/Spyker team created a wave of interest from many drivers. Adrian Sutil has his seat secure, unless he moves elsewhere (see the McLaren bit above). Hower an army of Force India wannabies have tested for them during the first 2 winters tests. Ralf Schumacher has ruled himself out of running and looks like the decision will be made between Giancarlo Fisichella who just lost his Renault seat, Vitantonio Liuzzi (ditched by Toro Rosso) and ex-Jaguar and Red Bull driver Christian Klien (who no longer wants to test only for Honda). Depending on whether Sutil stays or moves, there may be one or two seats available here.

Giancarlo Fisichella pros:
- his experience may be what this team needs right now when they hope for jump up the grid
- he is used to racing bad cars
- he is a race winner
- this may actually motivate him and up his performance
cons:
- he seems to be past his best
- he did not set the tracks on fire during 2007 season
- he was outperformed by his rookie team mate

Vitantonio Liuzzi pros:
- he ended 2007 season on high
- he was a match to Sebastian Vettel
- he has 3 years F1 racing experience
- he is motivated
- he is likeable character
- he is willing to accept even testing role and that may open him door to 2009 race seat if he looses out on 2008 one
cons:
- don’t really see any but he has less experience than Fisichella if that is what the team is after

Christian Klien pros:
- motivated
- made decent impression during the 2 winter test
- F1 racing experience from Jaguar and Red Bull
cons:
- haven’t been racing since he left Red Bull before the end of 2006 season
- haven’t exactly impressed during his F1 racing days
Should not take long before we know …

F1 Wolf » Blog Archive » The Remaining Vacant 2008 Formula 1 Seats

Last edited by khanak : 12th December 2007 at 02:18.
Old 12th December 2007, 04:01   #51
Senior - BHPian

best bet for Mallaya is to grab Liuttzi and Kovalenen.

Let go of Sutil and pocket the fat cheque Ron Dennis will pay him to break the contract.
Old 12th December 2007, 12:32   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Let go of Sutil and pocket the fat cheque Ron Dennis will pay him to break the contract.
They are asking a double digit million $ figure,which Mclaren are not going to pay.
Old 14th December 2007, 23:15   #53
Senior - BHPian

Kovalainen confirmed at McLaren

Heikki Kovalainen has been confirmed as Lewis Hamilton's new teammate at McLaren for next year.
The Finn joins the Woking-based outfit on a long-term deal after an impressive debut season with Renault, and McLaren management are convinced that he and Hamilton will make a 'formidable' combination for 2008.
The team have also confirmed that Pedro de la Rosa will remain as third driver, with Gary Paffett staying on board as tester.
McLaren F1 CEO Martin Whitmarsh said: "We had a number of options open to us and as always we want to make sure that we have the most competitive driver line-up and I think that Lewis and Heikki will be a formidable combination.
"Both enjoyed great rookie seasons in 2007 and share a genuine passion for winning and being the best. Heikki made a strong impression and Lewis' performance so far has been outstanding and speaks for itself.
"I am confident that they will push each other on track and work well together off track. In addition with Pedro remaining our primary test driver alongside Gary, we really have a strong package and look forward to 2008."
Kovalainen found himself out of a job at Renault after the team opted for Nelson Piquet Jr. to be Fernando Alonso's new teammate. But he is delighted at his new opportunity, especially as it means he will follow in the footsteps of compatriots Mika Hakkinen and Kimi Raikkonen.
"I am so excited to join a team like Vodafone McLaren Mercedes," said Heikki. "So far I have been blown away by the dedication and commitment to winning which is clear through the entire organisation and I am really excited about our joint future.
"As a Finn it's an honour for me to follow in Mika and Kimi's footsteps. I haven't really spent a lot of time with Lewis so far but from what I know I think we will work well together and do our best for the team."
Kovalainen's new teammate Hamilton is equally looking forward to the arrival of the Finn, having endured a few tough moments with Alonso last year.
"As soon as the chequered flag went in Brazil I began to count down the days until Australia," said Hamilton. "I am really looking forward to 2008 and working with Heikki as my teammate.
"Together with the team we will do everything we can to ensure that our Championship challenge is as strong and focused as possible. My first year in Formula One was incredible and I was so fortunate to spend it with Vodafone McLaren Mercedes and I hope that Heikki will enjoy his first year with the team as much as I did mine."

autosport.com - F1 News: Kovalainen confirmed at McLaren
Old 14th December 2007, 23:22   #54
Senior - BHPian

McLaren

1) Lewis Hamilton
2) Heikki Kovalainen

Ferrari

1)Kimi Raikkonen
2)Felipe Massa

BMW Sauber

1)Nick Heidfeld
2)Robert Kubica

Renault

1) Fernando Alonso
2) Nelson Piquet Jr.

Williams

1) Nico Rosberg
2) Kazuki Nakajima

Toyota

1) Jarno Trulli
2) Timo Glock

Red Bull

1) David Coulthard
2) Mark Webber

Super Aguri

1) Sato?
2)

Honda

1) Rubens Barrichello
2) Jenson Button

Toro Rosso

1) Sebastian Vettel
2) Sebastien Bourdais

Force India

1) Sutil?
2) Fisichella?

F1 Wolf » Blog Archive » Formula 1 - 2008 Drivers Line Up

Last edited by khanak : 14th December 2007 at 23:30.
Old 15th December 2007, 02:24   #55
BANNED

Is this confirmed news? Wow! Looks like the season is going to be hot. Some unexpected surprises may only add more spice. Let's enjoy the 2008 F1.
Old 15th December 2007, 12:29   #56
Senior - BHPian

Heikki and Lewis it is then. A lot has been said and written about the Mclaren spy saga. Lets hope the team re-groups and comes back in 2008, all cylinders firing!
Old 15th December 2007, 14:32   #57
Senior - BHPian

Yes thats more like it,Heki will give Hamilton a run for his money.It will be fun if Heki performs better than Hamilton.
Old 15th December 2007, 15:15   #58
Senior - BHPian

Interestingly, I wonder how good mclaren will be next year. Heikki may find himself in a slow car after all because the fine must have had some impact on their development budget.. personally though i hope they come through and fight for both titles again
Old 15th December 2007, 22:10   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Interestingly, I wonder how good mclaren will be next year.
Definitely better than the Renault this year.
Old 15th December 2007, 22:10   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

confirmed news: Heikki is joining McLaren !!

F1 | Formula 1 - McLaren confirms Kovalainen for 2008 - ITV Sport

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks