Team-BHP - Formula 1 to go HYBRID in 2009??!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Int'l Motorsport (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intl-motorsport/)
-   -   Formula 1 to go HYBRID in 2009??! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intl-motorsport/38806-formula-1-go-hybrid-2009-a.html)

I was browsing autoblog and came across this news related to Ferrari and F1. Ferrari split as Formula One goes hybird - Autoblog
And I was kinda shocked. I'm assuming its an electric-petrol hybrid ofcourse since the news mentions Schumi talking about benefits to the enviroment etc. I'm surprised and shocked at the same time. For some reason I can't imagine a "HYBRID" F1 car. Existing IC engine powered only or Electric only is also some how imaginable but hybrid...is it just me or is it?

I know that they were supposed to be working on more fuel efficient vehicles for 2009 but this?! Not that there's anything wrong with it, guess it had to happen some day.

Your views on this folks!

what next? will they insist on hybird cargo freighters to transport, ditto for trucks etyadi? Who are they fooling? Why not just purchase carbon credits and chill. Or spend 10% less and help a third world country shift to bus rapid transit systems :p

Lol.

I dont think the aim of this is to directly save the planet with the cleaner emissions every raceday.
It will serve a much larger purpose. When people are competing to squeeze the maximum out of alternative fuels etc and they are on the absolute forefront of technology - breakthroughs and discoveries will be made.
The developments in F1 will then trickle down to the mainstream automobiles over the next few years, creating changes on a much larger scale.

A very interesting and bold move IMO.
cya
R

F-1 always relishes on changes to make it more interesting and definitely saving the planet is just another stunt to promote new horizons on the F-1 scene. Wonder how the dynamics of the engine change if this info is slotted for in the future.

Well, the way its supposed to be used is different. It stores the energy in batteries and is up to the driver to use it whenever he deems it necessary. Will be tricky for the driver.

A hybrid can only mean more power so there is a good side. However, this is just another step toward taking the *purity* of Formula 1 away.

i think this could be a good thing..... lot of R & D goes into making these F1 cars are some of that tech paves its way into our daily drivers.

the IC engine is far from its demise.....

koshun really is this: what about the electricity/energy storage - wont that increase weight without as much power?

Yea i've been thinking about that phamilyman. Like gto mentioned more power but then again more weight?! for energy storage? wonder where this'll take us!

the formula ! cars have always been the development test bed for new technology, and most of the time these technologies come to road cars.So it;ll be intersting to see how fast these technologies come to us.
The F1 cars will use Flywheel engery storing. The fly wheel have been developed last year [ by company in briten or the US I do not remeber I have the page stored some where will post when I find it]They may develop something new though.

LOL why not race toyota priuses instead. F1 cars are getting boring :P.