Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2008, 09:14   #1
BHPian

F1 - David Coulthard to retire after 2008 season

Daivd Coulthard to retire after the end of the season Brazilian Grand Prix. This brings an end to a chequered 14-year career. He will continue to work in F1 as a consultant to the Red Bull racing team.
Adios DC. Thanks for the memories.

More here -
The Official Formula 1 Website

Note to Mods - Thought of putting this in the F1 thread. But since that is only for race related posts, started a new thread. Please merge if you fell this is inappropriate.
Old 4th July 2008, 09:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

Ohh, may be it was right time for him to announce retirement. He had shown recently that he still has enough in him to clinch a podium position.

We needed such experienced drivers, Hope Rubens continues for another year or two.
Old 4th July 2008, 11:23   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

About time I say. So long, DC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
We needed such experienced drivers, Hope Rubens continues for another year or two.
I disagree with that. Guys like DC & Rubens have to make way for the new. They have been around for like....forever, and have had their share in the limelight. Its now time for them (and us) to move on.

I do agree, however, that their experience is invaluable. Probably a consulting / testing role in the development of the car. But the driver lineup must consist of relatively fresher talent.
Old 4th July 2008, 12:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

It seems the younger lot are taking over. F1 is losing a real character. The last of the trio of 'players' from his generation. Like Eddie and Jacques, the pit babes will miss DC too!

One always felt that he could have done a bit more with the championship winning Mclaren that he drove earlier.

We will always remember him for getting out of a near fatal plane crash and then putting in a stellar drive a few days later in Spain, as if nothing had ever happened!

Slaandjivaa David!
Old 4th July 2008, 13:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

Always liked the guy even though he lacked the "killer" instinct earlier (he's become quite aggressive lately).

Really liked his spirit after the McLaren fiasco & how he bounced back with Redbull. Way to go DC!
Old 4th July 2008, 13:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

I always found him to be one of the mature guys, who was not always aggressive. Unfortunate that he could not win championship when he had a wonderful McLaren with him. Considering his F1 skills, he could have done a bit more for his carrier.
Old 4th July 2008, 13:47   #7
BANNED

Always wore Australian Holeproof Underdaks underwear for a Grand Prix because they were comfortable and were the right colour if one was having a moment.

Claimed sex before a race made him go faster.

Said driving the Malaysian Grand Prix was like having sex in a sauna.

Only DC could make press statements like these - the last of the F1 drivers with character. Still remember the "finger" to Michael Schumacher in the 2000 French Grand Prix.

Farewell DC - one of the fittest drivers of all time. Also one of the purest in style - almost always inch perfect on the track.
Old 4th July 2008, 14:53   #8
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Sad and Happy about the news

DC has been amonst my favorite F1 Drivers, and is one of the reasons I still watch the Races.

Hence feel that F1 would be that much poorer without him, yet feel happy with the thought that he would have retired without damaging his reputation with poor performances that are invariable with age.

On the other hand some F1 Drivers in the past have registered their best performances just the year before they retired, and had consistantly improved with age. I guess DC's not going to be one among them.

He sure had character and for those who cheer the underdog, he was a perfect fit.

Wish he had got more out of the McLaren Stint.
Old 5th July 2008, 00:42   #9
BHPian

'racing drivers have balls, unfortunately, none of them are crystal.' - DC

will really miss those kinds of statements.
Old 5th July 2008, 08:32   #10
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

ah. finally.

was wondering if they have an age limit (like 58 - 60 in india) in f1 around which time D would retire.
Old 5th July 2008, 09:23   #11
BHPian

Dc was the last of the drivers with real balls in fromula 1. whether people agree or not he has been the most under achived driver in formula 1 in recent times. you should have seen him drive in 1998 and 1999 when mika won the cahmpionship, he was not better but equal to mika. anyways all the good things come to an end sometimes. all the best to him.
Old 5th July 2008, 11:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

I never really liked DC, though I admire him to have been in F1 for so long, speaks for his talent.

However, of late his driving has been nothing to write home about and I hope he gets a job somewhere as a door closer(that's what he does best of late)- closing doors regardless of whether people are coming and going...LOLz
Old 5th July 2008, 12:00   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Only DC could make press statements like these - the last of the F1 drivers with character. Still remember the "finger" to Michael Schumacher in the 2000 French Grand Prix.
I couldn't agree any more! Compared to the colourful characters of yesteryears (Senna, Villeneuve, DC etc.), todays breed have the personality of a robot.
Old 13th July 2008, 14:14   #14
BHPian

DC will surely be missed. He's been giving some good performances recently, but Red Bull could really use some young drivers right now, especially to partner Webber.

I heard some rumours that Coulthard might be taking up a management position with the Red Bull F1 team, and might even become a part owner, especially with the money he got after selling his hotel in Monaco recently.

But it'll be nice to see Vettel with Webber next season. Who do you guys think will fill in for Vettel in Toro Rosso though?
Old 13th July 2008, 14:59   #15
BHPian

When I think of Coulthard this is what comes to my head

DC will be missed1

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks