Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2008, 11:47   #1
BHPian

Track day(s) in the new M3. EDIT: Cayman S & new video added

Had it out on the Nurburgring but no good footage as I was travelling (I dont think I've been on a more challanging track)

The M3 is now in the states and been on various tracks, would like to share pics and footage. Here is something I put together real quick. The car is a track monster, the only car(s) that passed me were 500hp corvette Z06 with race instructors behind the wheel. Watch that new yellow 911 almost spin out in front of me towards the end!

Last edited by idnani : 9th December 2008 at 11:56.
Old 9th December 2008, 14:23   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

idnani, you are one lucky guy to be able to redline an M3 like that. Is that an oval circuit? Also what camera are you using? How did you mount it to the bumper? I can see the tape, but is there a mounting bracket? More details on the camera please, I always have wanted to do this on the track days here but haven't gotten around to it. Your help would be appreciated.
Old 9th December 2008, 16:05   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Brilliant video! What soundtrack is this by the way? Also please post how you attached the cam to the car... I had started a thread on that but didn't get any answer as to how to attach one to the car.
Old 9th December 2008, 16:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

MCL - the camera looks very similar to the raceoptics one.
Old 9th December 2008, 16:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

@ idnani - uploading pics in other photohosting sites is not allowed. please upload the pics directly in the thread - please check out the FAQ section

Awesome video. do you still own the red 330i?
Old 9th December 2008, 17:45   #6
BHPian

hi idnani,
nice clean machine,
a small question-the blue tape on the headlamps looks like the safety requirement to prevent glass getting all over the place in the event of a crash .
what's the remaining covering for ?like on the power hump in the hood for example .

nice video and happy hunting with your monster
Old 9th December 2008, 23:28   #7
BHPian

Whoops! Sorry, wasn't aware of the change in rule. I guess I will need a mod. to help me fix this as I cannot edit it now.
The camera lens in the front is some high res. sony bullet camera. Its sold through various vendors here in the US, I got it on ebay and I chose this particular one as it came with various mounting solutions. I like the one seen on the car now as the velcro mount (black color) is attached using the provided double sided tape (a really strong kind). I've removed it in the past and had no damage to the paint, the sticky residue comes off with WD40. Initially, I did not think it would hold and was ready to lose the camera when on the front straightway but even at 150+ mph, it diddnt budge! The setup was something like $200 however you need a recording device in the car so this hooks up to my sony miniDV camcorder which MUST have an AV input function (most camcorders do NOT have this). Anyone interested in more info on this may contact me and im glad to help.
Soundtrack is Dropkick Murphys. The red 330i was traded in.
Yes the blue tape is to prevent glass debris in case the headlights smash if hit by a rock or pebble. Those nasty corvettes and vipers are notorious for throwing back rocks due to their ridiculously wide, sticky rear race tires. With the same scenario kept in mind, rock chips in the front of the car is a problem. Usually I wouldn't care but this car is too pretty to scuff up at track days and BMW paint is water based, which makes it even softer and more vulnerable to nicks and scuffs.

Last edited by idnani : 9th December 2008 at 23:30.
Old 21st December 2008, 06:26   #8
BHPian

Some more pics on track and an autocross video. The drift into the finish was fun

Attached Thumbnails
Track day(s) in the new M3. EDIT: Cayman S & new video added-m31.jpg  

Track day(s) in the new M3. EDIT: Cayman S & new video added-m32.jpg  

Track day(s) in the new M3. EDIT: Cayman S & new video added-m33.jpg  

Old 21st December 2008, 13:57   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnani View Post
Some more pics on track and an autocross video....
Awesome stuff man. The car sounds great.

Glad to see that youre putting her on the track. Are you still on the first set of tyres??

cya
R
Old 25th December 2008, 17:48   #10
BHPian

Thanx R. Im on my 2nd set of tires and ive driven her fairly easy on the track(s) so far, still learning the car and her limits. I hear these M3's can go through a set of tires in a day if driven hard enough. I was in a new 3-liter 3 series at a track recently and I drove that at the limit all weekend. Went through a set of Bridgestones that weekend itself...
Old 26th December 2008, 15:54   #11
Senior - BHPian

Oh wow! I am just so jealous, I can't tell you. How did the brakes hold-up? I hear they fade pretty badly within a couple of laps of hard running.

Edit: Is this recent footage? I mean is the weather that good even in December in Austin? I've only visited Austin in summer!

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th January 2009 at 21:59.
Old 30th December 2008, 23:20   #12
BHPian

KBK, the brakes held up fine, there wasn't any noticible fade at all and I drove her pretty hard towards the end of each day. I'd be coming down that front straightway at 150+ mph and squeeze the pedal until ABS would kick in. She will need new pads soon, thinking about competition pads.

The weather in Austin is great almost all year round. Little rain but no snow or ice and yes the footage was in november. Im in Mumbai for a month and the humidity is already killing me! Cheers...
Old 31st December 2008, 03:38   #13
BHPian

Wonderfull experience Idnani, Keep posting more videos and pics of the Monster
Old 31st December 2008, 10:10   #14
Senior - BHPian

Amazing stuff man, wished India had places like these to enjoy such cars! Also pardon my ignorance, but in all the images of track days i have seen the windows in the cars are kept open.Is there a specific reason for this? what happens to the aerodynamics, also the interior cabin must be like a hurricane at 150+mph..
Old 2nd January 2009, 09:45   #15
BHPian

In most cases, you are required to keep the front two windows down in case they need to pull you out of the car. Also if you wreck, you dont want glass flying around in your face. Between wearing a helmet and having a lot of engine roar, the wind noise is not really noticible. Im sure its not ideal for aerodynamics but the down side can't be substantial.

Most Viewed