Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

View Poll Results: Ferrari ..Will they, wont they ?
Yes Ferrari will change to Michelin, Bridgestone just doesnt have it anymore 3 16.67%
No Ferrari has won their championships with Bridgestone and will continue their alliance with them 15 83.33%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2005, 11:29   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ferrari : Bridgestone or Michelin ?

Ferrari is virtually out of the championship and the main reason for their poor showing is the Bridgestone tyres while Michelin has had the upper hand this season.

In your opinion do you think Ferrari should and will change to Michelin rubber next year or stick to the Bridgestones

Dippy
Old 9th June 2005, 13:29   #2
BHPian

Although the situation is bad I still think that Ferrari would be best in staying with Bridgestone. This is dumb but if it goes with Michelins each and every top team will be with michelin which would hence reduce the competition in F1 (be it with Ferrari or Renault or McLaren). I know that each tyre is suited to each and every drivers car but the basic structure or whatever would remain the same in each and every car.
Old 9th June 2005, 14:15   #3
BHPian

I don't think Ferrari will get the same attention from Michelin as say Williams or McLaren, as they have been Michelin's partner for a long time.
Old 9th June 2005, 14:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't think Ferrari will get the same attention from Michelin as say Williams or McLaren, as they have been Michelin's partner for a long time.
ferrari wont be satisfied with the same attention.. they want more compared to the other teams
thats why they'l never shift to michelin
Old 9th June 2005, 14:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

Who says Ferrari would get the same attention?! Just because McLaren and Renault are doing good??! I disagree, they can get attention when they demand.

For example in 1998, Ferrari used Good Year, while McLaren used Bridgestone. McLaren were world champions. Ferrari switched to Bridgestone and won the Constructor's championship. All Bridgestone advertisments were changed from McLaren to Ferrari. And then Ferrari were getting a lot of attention from Bridgestone.
Old 9th June 2005, 15:17   #6
BHPian

Ferrari have got it in them to better the Michelin runners., besides if they do switch to michelin what is the guarentee that they are going to get the same attention that they are receiving at the moment. It is going to bring all the teams under one tyre manufacturer, that's the last thing that we want.
Although I believe that they should shift, I doubt it whether they will.
Old 9th June 2005, 15:22   #7
Team-BHP Support

Switching over to Michelin next year may not solve their problems. Bridgestone is more than capable of making a great tyre. Motorsports is a tricky business. What is cutting edge today will be outdated tomorrow. As they say, the only thing constant is change.

Ferrari have dug themselves into this position with Bridgestone, and they would be wise to stick it out and work together to develope a good car/tyre combination.

However, if for some reason Ferrari do switch over, and all the top teams are running the same rubber, competition is sure to improve, which would be better for us viewers. That is exactly why Bernie is pushing for a return to a single tyre supplier, and most of the teams want that as well as it reduces costs tremendously for them.
Old 9th June 2005, 17:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Schumacher
It is going to bring all the teams under one tyre manufacturer, that's the last thing that we want.
Its the last thing we want, but it might be the first thing we'll see in 2007.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy
In your opinion do you think Ferrari should and will change to Michelin rubber next year or stick to the Bridgestones?
Ferrari should and will stay with Bridgestone. This year, however, Michelin tyres would've been very beneficial to the team.

Anyways its not possible. Because the team has a contract with Bridgestone and for switching, any team must always give a one year advance notice to the tyre manufacturer. Thus, if there is a possibility of a switch, it can only happen in 2007 and not before.

So I guess there is no point in continuing this poll.
Old 9th June 2005, 18:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon
Its the last thing we want, but it might be the first thing we'll see in 2007.
So if Ferrari does switch to Michelin then that is what we will be left with as no way will Bridgestone will continue in F1 with the back runners.

But realistically this situation will not arise. I absolutely agree with Hatari that they will seek more from Michelin than other teams even if they do switch and i highly doubt that Michelin will work favour Ferrari the way Bridgestone did/does.

I sincerely believe that the main reason why they were so dominant is now coming back to bite them on the back side. And long may it continue....
Old 9th June 2005, 19:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

I dont really think they'll switch next year... Michelins maynot give them the kinda attention they require. Although it would be good for racing... all the teams with the same tyres... so the tyre issues reduces to an almost nil.. it'll be good for racing.
Old 9th June 2005, 20:13   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon
Ferrari switched to Bridgestone and won the Constructor's championship. All Bridgestone advertisments were changed from McLaren to Ferrari.
Yes, that was after the 1999 season. At the start of the 1999 season, Bridgestone released an advertisement that said something like - "Whoever wins the championship this year, you can be sure they will be on Bridgestone tyres".

Ferrari always want some kind of exclusivity esp. in terms of attention and only Bridgestone is capable of giving them that at the moment.

hrag
Old 9th June 2005, 21:20   #12
Senior - BHPian

You guys are not getting the point. Ferrari CANNOT switch to Michelin next year. That was just a rumour. To switch to another tyre manufacturer, the team needs to give an advance one-year notice to the current tyre supplier. So the earliest Ferrari can shift to Michelin is 2007.

FIA are planning to keep only one tyre supplier in 2007. So its not decided whether it'll be Michelin or Bridgestone. It may be possible that the rule will be cancelled.
Old 9th June 2005, 21:29   #13
BANNED

Gordon if FIA do decide to keep one manufacturer it will be Michelin since FIA also plans to keep costs down and Michelins are cheaper then Bridgestone. Also i dont think Ferrari should change to Michelins as of now..
Old 9th June 2005, 21:36   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montoya
Gordon if FIA do decide to keep one manufacturer it will be Michelin since FIA also plans to keep costs down and Michelins are cheaper then Bridgestone.
Maybe. Maybe not. We'll have to wait and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montoya
Also i dont think Ferrari should change to Michelins as of now..
Its not what we think. Ferrari CANNOT switch to Michelin next year. It is not possible.
Old 9th June 2005, 21:55   #15
BHPian

if im not mistaken, theres a rule in F1 that states that not more than 60% of the grid can use one tyre manufacturer.
so this discussion might just be pointless.

anyways , i feel considering their long,successful partnership , ferrari will not be hasty and take such an impulsive decision. both will see to it that the problem is sorted out. and they do have the resources !!!

Most Viewed