Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Whom would you blame for the Indianapolis fiasco?
Michelin 38 59.38%
FIA, Bernie 8 12.50%
Ferrari 11 17.19%
All teams using Michelin tyres 7 10.94%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2005, 11:11   #61
BHPian

Steer, its not Ferrari's mistake abt the tyre...it was Michelin who messed up
But for making it more farcical and not allowing a race to happen by compromising on the chicane thing (I dont consider a 6 car procession to be a motorrace...) , the reds were responsible...

I totally agree that Stones and Ferrari did their job wel, Michelin messed up (not the other teams though) but in the end we fans got screwed.

ps:

"Michelin were trying to armtwist the FIA by holding up a threat of boycott simply because they have numbers on their side. No manufacturer, supplier or any other person should be able to hold a championship to ransom and get rules changed to suit their preferences."

True....but this statement is ironic since we have seen Enzo Ferrari with countless threats to boycott F1 unless the rules went his way........ thats history and fact btw :-)

Last edited by Abhay : 20th June 2005 at 11:13.
Old 20th June 2005, 11:24   #62
Senior - BHPian

The race, however, showed the bitterness among the partners on the race track. Each team's drivers were fighting among each other for the lead.

Schumacher - Barrichello for the leading position.
Monteiro - Karthikeyan for the third position.
Fraischer - Albers for the fifth position.
Old 20th June 2005, 11:29   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay
But for making it more farcical and not allowing a race to happen by compromising on the chicane thing (I dont consider a 6 car procession to be a motorrace...) , the reds were responsible...
They werent - Michelin could've chosen to advice their teams to run slower. The boycott is entirely their making, no point in holding someone else responsible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay
True....but this statement is ironic since we have seen Enzo Ferrari with countless threats to boycott F1 unless the rules went his way........ thats history and fact btw :-)
If we dig into history I'm sure we can come up with countless instances where other teams have been stubborn as well - Ron Dennis, for instance, is not exactly the most sportsmanlike character in F1. However thats beside the point, since everyone has had their chance to play the bad boy.

Ferrari cannot be labelled the bad boys because they refused to participate in an organized boycott by a section of the grid who knew they wouldnt be able to push their cars to the limit because they had a tyre that was unsafe.
Old 20th June 2005, 11:39   #64
Senior - BHPian

Its just like a game of chess. If you make a wrong move, you don't expect your opponent to take your side and not take your coins off the board or check-mate you.
Old 20th June 2005, 11:48   #65
BHPian

Well..
Firstly, who has to take the blame for the real mess - 90% by Michelin..What are we talking about if they dont have race ready tires at this level !!

Rest 10% of the blame for the fiasco can be shared by FIA & Ferrari..
Old 20th June 2005, 13:08   #66
Senior - BHPian

out of that 10% make it 9% for FIA and rest for all ferrari.
Old 20th June 2005, 14:41   #67
BHPian

my blood is boiling because of those stupid michelins people and the michelin shod cars demands. boycotting wasnt the solution, they should have continued with what they had to ake the best out of a bad situation, instead they snub there noses to all the fans!!!!!!!

if they drive ore conservatively to the tyres potential they could have made it to the finish, but they dont seem to be happy about it and expect radical change at the 11th hour.

i agree tyre changes should be allowed going forward, but i dont think that they can change it on the spot for the benefit of a few teams.
Old 20th June 2005, 15:04   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paharino1
Well..
Firstly, who has to take the blame for the real mess - 90% by Michelin..What are we talking about if they dont have race ready tires at this level !!

Rest 10% of the blame for the fiasco can be shared by FIA & Ferrari..
Then what about the teams having Michelin rubber? If they have the spirt they should have got to race without sticking to Michelin's request (Or order?).

50% - Michelin, 50% - Michelin Teams

Last edited by satish_appasani : 20th June 2005 at 15:05.
Old 20th June 2005, 15:15   #69
BHPian

Am quite glad that I abandoned my plan to go to Indy this year.. saved a couple of lakhs from going down the drain..

All through the race I kept thinking that this is a nightmare and I will soon wake up and see the real race. :(

All facts about the Indy track: speed, banking, etc were pretty well known. Were Michelin sleeping till Ralph crashed? Isnt it their job to get a race-worthy tyre to the track? The FIA should get Michelin to refund the ticket money to all spectators.

Trying to put a last-minute chicane at turn 13, without testing, is one of the dumbest ideas ever.. Drivers would have kept going off the race line and would have anyway crashed out.

All teams who went back to pits should be severly penalised for this farce and they in turn can sue Michelin. There is no point in blaming Ferrari. They were prepared for a race and they raced. They are not saints who would want to help the other teams win for the betterment of mankind.

Dont think I will ever buy a Michelin tyre after this.
Old 20th June 2005, 15:19   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbhag
Dont think I will ever buy a Michelin tyre after this.
Don't you think it would be too far fetched conclusion? Let this week pass before you make up your mind
Old 20th June 2005, 15:22   #71
Senior - BHPian

I was planning to watch the race yesterday night, but somehow better wisdom dawned on me and I decided against ruining my Monday at work with a late night on Sunday. When my wife informed me today morning that Narain finished fourth, I was so sad I didn't watch the race. But when I read the report, I thought, "atleast I got some good sleep. If I had watched this so called race, I wouldn't have slept at all".

As some members say, Michelin knew the track pretty well and should have prepared and tested the tires accordingly. No point in adding a last minute chicane. I guess that would have been more disastrous than the current situation. A mistake is a mistake and Micheline should take it as a lesson learnt and should get better prepared in future.
Old 20th June 2005, 15:29   #72
BHPian

Must See --- Highly Recommended !!!!!!

Hey Guys for the latest website of Formul a 1 please log on to www.fiasco1.com and make volume of your computer is on , excillent effects ....

Must see , HIGHLY RECOMMENDED and please forward the link to others as well ........
Old 20th June 2005, 15:31   #73
Senior - BHPian

There have been so many argurments in this thread but a point just crossed my mind. Ferrari were blamed since they did not agree to a chicane but what guarantee was there that the tyres would last the other parts of the circuit or the stadium section for that matter? If one remembers Alonso had a tyre blow out last year on the start finish straight.

Bottom line: If the tyres are defective they cant be defective for just one turn . They have to defective for the whole race. So really Ferrari cannot take even part of the blame for the US GP fiasco

Dippy

Last edited by Dippy : 20th June 2005 at 15:32.
Old 20th June 2005, 15:41   #74
Team-BHP Support

Remember guys, its not like they were not given options.

The FIA also outlined a number of other options available to the Michelin teams, including running more slowly in Turn 13, running new tyres and incurring a penalty, or repeatedly changing tyres, subject to valid safety reasons.

All those options were turned down. Now if they are so sporting at heart, why would they turn down these options?
Old 20th June 2005, 15:43   #75
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy
There have been so many argurments in this thread but a point just crossed my mind. Ferrari were blamed since they did not agree to a chicane but what guarantee was there that the tyres would last the other parts of the circuit or the stadium section for that matter? If one remembers Alonso had a tyre blow out last year on the start finish straight.

Bottom line: If the tyres are defective they cant be defective for just one turn . They have to defective for the whole race. So really Ferrari cannot take even part of the blame for the US GP fiasco

Dippy
We think similar, dont we?

And guys you all thinking from a F1 follower's point of view, just think you were Jean Todd and you know what position the Ferrari team were in, every point is a boon, would you still have agreed?
Answer this question then blame Ferrari.

Everywhere i see Ferrari are blamed for no reason.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks