Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2005, 19:05   #1
BHPian

BMW takes over Sauber. Is it a wise move?

As expected...

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=33223

M
Old 22nd June 2005, 19:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

Well, great to hear the news! I'm confident that they'll put up a very good show. And i think Nick will do a good job for the team, if he's hired to do the driving.
Hmmm.. now what about Williams? Should they continue to get engines from BMW or should they look elsewhere?? Cosworth and Honda being their choices.
Old 22nd June 2005, 19:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

This is great news. Finally BMW gets charge of everything else besides the engine. Sauber's last year's effort to develop two windtunnels seems to have worked, it really was a pitch for the big one... BMW bought it.

2006 should be exciting then i suppose. Let's give the team until 2007 to find the right footing and performance.

Revv
Old 22nd June 2005, 19:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

I heard this would happen, but didn't know that it would this soon..
Old 22nd June 2005, 19:48   #5
BHPian

Great news, Sauber have finaally got out of the Ferrari shadow and into the BMW shadow....but do you think they will get the same reliability as Ferrari had provided them with??? They will surely get more horses behind them and also more speed under them. I am happy for them...
Old 22nd June 2005, 21:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

Great news for Sauber! All they need to do now is change their driver line-up (read as get rid of Villeneuve). they already have one of the best (if not the best) windtunnels in the business and with BMW onboard, they'll get a great engine as well as more funding. I don't think much should be expected in 2006 but in 2007, they should be up there with the likes of Renaults and Toyotas. Pity for Williams though. Seems like Monty and Ralf abandoned ship at the right time...lol
Old 22nd June 2005, 22:14   #7
BHPian

Yeah super news...this year the BMW Williams combo was really in a bad shape. Something needed to change and now this....its great for Sauber, but I feel its good for Williams too, you never know, they might shine the Redbull way.....

Anyway, one thing for sure...the excitment for next year is already building up with these changes....

Cheers!!!
Old 22nd June 2005, 23:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

Wow!! the gloves are off....the top two German marques are gonna fight it out.....promises a great season in 2006.

I guess Ferrari has lost a team to supply engines to....and what of Williams?

Knowing BMW the makers of the "ultimate driving machine" they may be going all out to make the "ultimate F1 team"!!

We may have to wait and see what effect this has on the alternate championship mooted by the manufacturers and Bernie's behind the scenes games.

Long live F1...

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 23rd June 2005, 10:59   #9
Team-BHP Support

While it certainly is great news for Sauber, I just wonder if this is the best move for BMW. It's not easy in F1, everyone knows that, and you can go from being a respected manufacturer to the clown of the class in no time at all if you get things wrong. I'm sure Jaguar would be the first to support that theory!

Yes, BMW have some of the best engineers in the world, and they produce some of the best engines on the grid, but that's when they were concentrating only on engine development. Now, running a whole team is a totally different ball game. To enter F1 in 2006 is no joke!

Toyota can get away with this for a number of reasons. 1) they have huge resources and are pretty much the largest most profitable auto manufacturer in the world. 2) they have nothing to lose. Their brand is not a prestige brand, so if they only manage mid-pack finishes, they still gain the respect of the public. If they win, that's a bonus!

BMW on the other hand have a heritage, both racing as well as street cars, to look after. They mess up in F1 with a couple of years of mid-lower pack performances and things will begin to get very embarrassing for them.

I'm not saying what they've done is wrong, I'm just thinking aloud as to the possible repercussions if they don't perform as they ought too. I'd hate to see them go the Jaguar way.
Old 23rd June 2005, 11:13   #10
BHPian

Rtech what you said is true. But it could very well be possible that BMW pulls off some one from Williams-BMW along with them to take over at Sauber. IMHO BMW would not go ahead with the decision to start afresh unless they have covered all possible avenues. Lets wait and see what happens. Would sure be interesting.

Another thing we keep forgetting is Sauber itself! Peter Sauber is a damm good engineer. I am sure with the test data he has collected playing second fiddle to Ferrari will sure help BMW a lot. Not only in terms of setting up their machines but also to get an insight into Ferrari's also i guess.
Old 23rd June 2005, 11:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

Why great news for Sauber??! Its going to change to BMW right??
After that there is no Sauber. It'll be only BMW!
I guess there is a new crew too. Sauber will be sold and gone. Peter Sauber will be hand over the team to BMW in 2006.
Old 23rd June 2005, 11:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

bad news for Williams next season that all i can say ..williams will surely miss the BMW power ...honda or cosworth none of them showed a good engine this season ...

now we'll have the Ferraris and BMW's next season..
Old 23rd June 2005, 13:10   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_lover
now we'll have the Ferraris and BMW's next season..
and mercs ?
and renaults ?
maybe toyota would improve further and catch up too ...
Old 23rd June 2005, 13:12   #14
Senior - BHPian

it is not going to help BMW,unless they have stolen some secrets from Renault,mclaren and ferrari.because already the sauber had very powerful ferrari engines and they could achive very less compared to ferrari.it is really disappointing to see manufacturers taking over teams rather than forming new teams.F1 as a sport originated were cars were run by individual owners running customer engines.but today it is all gone and very few car owners are left in the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_lover
bad news for Williams next season that all i can say ..williams will surely miss the BMW power ...honda or cosworth none of them showed a good engine this season ...
williams will still have BMW customer engines.they have a contract upto 2009.
Old 23rd June 2005, 14:12   #15
Senior - BHPian

I highly doubt BMW would go the Jaguar way. I would argue that the biggest reason for Jaguar going bust was the lack of stability in the personnel from the mechanics to the managers. BMW on the other hand have had minimal staff changes since the joined Williams in 2000. Secondly, unlike Toyota BMW are not starting from scratch. They have their own engine department already and will be taking over the resources that Sauber currently own. Peter Sauber has regularly said that there isn't enough funding to even run a third driver on fridays so obviously the lack of funding is also largely responsible for their lack of performance. But with BMW pumping in $$$, having the state-of-the-art windtunnel as well as continuing to manufacture competetive engines there is no reason why the team can't be fighting amongst the big boys from 2007.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks