Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2009, 22:16   #46
Senior - BHPian

Renault banned from European GP (Valencia) for Alonso's tyre mess.
Renault banned from European Grand Prix following Alonso’s wheel loss | F1 Fanatic - The Formula 1 Blog | F1 video | F1 pictures | F1 news | Lewis Hamilton | Fernando Alonso
Old 26th July 2009, 22:22   #47
Senior - BHPian

Im elated to see the Silver Arrows on the top step of the podium after 10 races.
Way to go Mclaren and Lewis.
Old 27th July 2009, 12:28   #48
BHPian

Good that there is competition all around. If not for the test ban may be they would have caught up earlier. Hope the trend continues and there are new winners on the podium more frequently.

It was horrific for Massa with that freaky component running on to his face. Get well soon for Massa though racing for rest of the season for him is bit doubtful (IMO). He would need at least few weeks to be in normal health.
Old 27th July 2009, 12:46   #49
Senior - BHPian

Praying for Massa

Praying for Massa, he will be back soon or later. But it was a narrow escape a thin hairline between life and death. If the spring would have hit his visor or chest, Oh! I cannot imagine.

I was watching the whole Qualifying live. Suddenly after Q2 Massa was in trye barrier. I was surprised to see that he was doing perfect laps. But after that the replay reveals the spring bouncing on his way to the helmet. I am even little upset that ESPN-Star did not cover the whole scenario that they suddenly switched to commercial and when they came back talking about other driver’s position and something else. On previous deadly accidents (Kubica, Kovalainen, Hamilton, R Schumacher) they covered much better.
So after 10 races it’s all back Ferrari vs McLaren. That was a strong showing between Kimi and Hamilton. If ever Ferrari wants to win, then should at least qualify within top 4.

My worry, can Massa come back in this season. If not who will replace him? Both test drivers of Ferrari are not up to the mark for racing, considering they have the best chance to clinch the third spot in constructors championship (For last ten years at least Ferrari never gone below 3rd spot). Will Alonso make this as a chance? (also Renault have a race ban on his home GP).

My wild dreams! Can we ever see our dear MS back in action for Ferrari?

Cheers!
Old 27th July 2009, 12:57   #50
BHPian

It was scary to see the replays of Massa's accident and that almost done my interest for the race. I did see glimpses of the race action, time and again.

I am not worried about Massa' return for the season, and I hope he doesnt hurry to it. 2010 is there for the reckoning, Forza Felipe. Get Well Soon.

Last edited by Rocky_Balboa : 27th July 2009 at 12:58.
Old 27th July 2009, 13:06   #51
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Firstly, I am shocked at Massa's injury. Never thought that it was still possible to have such serious bodily damage after all the safety precautions that the FIA has implemented in the last decade. Our prayers are with him and here's hoping that Felipe is springing back on his feet soon!

Coming to the race, what the hell was Renault thinking? Alonso's pitstop was a comedy of errors....resulting in a catastrophic end to his weekend. I mean, one of the rare times that a Renault is leading a race this year, and they fix a wheel wrong!! Inexplicable.

Have Mclaren gotten the pace back? I'd hold judgement calls until another race or two. It could just be that this track suited their car & the KERS better. Ditto for Ferrari. Surprisingly, Brawn hasn't maintained a steady pace in development over the season. Other teams have clearly caught up and they will have to work VERY hard to get their days of domination back. Their car's compusure was terrible yesterday, corners saw Button nervously scrambling for grip.

All in all, an exciting race on an otherwise boring track.
Old 27th July 2009, 14:24   #52
BHPian

Mass not available for next 2 races

What a freak accident. A spring comes off from a car, keeps bouncing on track, that too on the very racing line and kits the other driver right on his helmet.

Good to know that Massa is stable, may he recovers soon

But it again proved two points. One, how much ever safety improves, there is always something unexpected and unimaginable that can happen on track. And secondly, it proves how well the new cars and driver equipments are in handling a freak situation.

Another freakish thing to watch was the wheel coming off from Alonso's car, thank god it did not come out at a high speed. Can not imagine a horror that would have been, especially with the memories of the incident with Henry Surtees just a few days ago.

According to reports, Massa will not be able to race for 6 weeks. Which means he will miss next 2 races. Will Ferrari sacrifice their valuable points again by putting a test driver or a not-so-good driver in the car, like they did after Schumi broke his leg in 1999.

Or are we going to see the Maestro burning the tack in his red charriot, after all who better than him. He has been testing for Ferrari for last 2 seasons, knows car pretty well and not a slightest doubt about his abilities.

Or if imaginations go far wilder, will the picture in our fellow bhpian Nitrous' profile come true, Alonso in red car, he needs a drive after all to race in front of his home crowd after the ban on Renault.
Old 27th July 2009, 17:50   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quite harsh considering that nobody was injured and the fact that Brawn's stupid design caused a spring to spit out into the track and severy injure and almost kill Massa....and they get away with nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Have Mclaren gotten the pace back? I'd hold judgement calls until another race or two. It could just be that this track suited their car & the KERS better. Ditto for Ferrari. Surprisingly, Brawn hasn't maintained a steady pace in development over the season.
Based on the quali performance, I'd say its more like a KERS friendly track with short straights where they are burst from corner to corner.

Brawn chassis has severe problems in cold weather tracks because the chassis cannot warm up the tires sufficiently.
Old 27th July 2009, 18:00   #54
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Renault banned from European GP (Valencia) for Alonso's tyre mess.
I am shocked and disgusted at what can only be termed as the double standards of the FIA stewards. As Mpower has rightly mentioned, they overlooked the freak accident of Massa and have come down heavily on Renault when nobody was even injured.
Old 27th July 2009, 18:25   #55
GTO
Team-BHP Support

+1 to that. It's not like Renault did it intentionally and they have suffered much already (with Alonso's retirement). Hey, if you have to punish pitstop errors, what about Massa driving away with a part of the fuel rig in Singapore 2008?

Terribly unfair ruling.
Old 27th July 2009, 19:28   #56
BHPian

I am glad that Massa shows signs of improvement and can move his hands and legs.. but cannot speak after under going skull surgery in Hungary.

The ban for Renault seems too harsh.
Old 27th July 2009, 19:43   #57
Senior - BHPian

Barrichello's spring being spat out of his car wasn't intentional. Check Alonso's pitstop again. You can see a mechanic still working on his Front-right wheel when he's let out of his pitbox. Why did his team not stop him at the end of the pitlane? And even with the huge amount of vibrations, Alonso was driving his car at a fair pace. Point being, one accident was predictable, the other wasn't.

Also, sadly, we might never see Massa racing in F1 again...
autosport.com - F1 News: Doctor reveal Massa's left eye damaged
Quote:
"He has suffered some damage to the eye," said Veres. "We don't know whether he'll be able to race again."

Last edited by pranavt : 27th July 2009 at 19:49.
Old 27th July 2009, 20:10   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Barrichello's spring being spat out of his car wasn't intentional. Check Alonso's pitstop again. You can see a mechanic still working on his Front-right wheel when he's let out of his pitbox. Why did his team not stop him at the end of the pitlane? And even with the huge amount of vibrations, Alonso was driving his car at a fair pace. Point being, one accident was predictable, the other wasn't.

Also, sadly, we might never see Massa racing in F1 again...
autosport.com - F1 News: Doctor reveal Massa's left eye damaged
I hope that doesnt happen. :( Hes such a young driver and has a long way to go. He was the only one who gave Hammy a scare last year. It would be a big loss to F1 if he will not be able to race again.

Felipe, our prayers are with you and your family. I'm sure you will pull out of this.
Old 27th July 2009, 20:27   #59
Senior - BHPian

Lewis's drive was awesome , coming from an ardent McLaren fan, but I suspect it'll be a one off result. Hope Massa gets back to the wheel what with news of him being replaced by Alonso.
Alonso's drive was good but unfortunate that the wheel drama did him in. So they are banned for the next race I hear. Renault wouldn't miss much I'm sure. Piquet's stint in Renault is also in question now.
Old 27th July 2009, 20:35   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Exactly, Renault could have fixed the error before releasing him out to the track, by asking Alonso to stop at the end of pitlane waiting for mechanics to arrive. They simply ignored it and rightly are penalized for the mistake. I am fine with the penalty they got.

Btw, did anybody notice Flavio leaving the track even before the race was over, when one of his drivers was still on track racing? Not the best thing to do if you are a team boss. Piquet may have had his last race with Renault yesterday.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks