Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2009, 09:05   #91
Senior - BHPian

its D-day!! anybody knows how many Bhpians are going to the event?
@quickdraw, you still trying to do a quick meetup at the event?
may the pix and videos roll ASAP.
appreciate if someone gave a brief report of the event too alongwith the pix/videos.
Old 11th October 2009, 15:46   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Awesome event though it was very short and traffic was a nightmare. Car did over 250kmph...

The sound was awesome! i missed catching that piece of tyre that DC threw into the crowd by inches!
Old 11th October 2009, 15:58   #93
Senior - BHPian

Alright, so for those of you who want to see some of the action that happened, here's a video I could manage to capture as track marshall. The sound was insane, and the donuts were a sight to behold. Met Rehaan and Dippy at the event. Expect detailed coverage from them, I guess.

Old 11th October 2009, 16:21   #94
Senior - BHPian

Just got back from the event, it was really fun. Although it was really short and from the look of things I DC was going really slow. I have no idea what time he did or whatever. But it was fun being there, everyone had a good time and the heat was pretty bearable as well.

Here are two pictures that I took, nothing great but I am sure a lot of good media will be up online very soon. I think I saw manson, I'm not sure. Were you wearing Oakley Monster Dog's?

Cloud9 people at #speedlink? Lol @redbullindia 'twas fun. Fin. on Twitpic

@redbullindia at the speedlink event. Awesomeness! on Twitpic
Old 11th October 2009, 16:45   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Just got back from the event, it was really fun. Although it was really short and from the look of things I DC was going really slow.
Yup, on the sealink he was crawling for sure.
Old 11th October 2009, 17:02   #96
BHPian

hey guys here some pics and a slow-motion video of the car , i was right there when he did the Donut and a small piece of rubber hit me (marbel) will post all later but uploading a few right now from the phone.

video
4shared.com - file sharing - download movie file V111009_15.01.AVI

Red Bull F1 car @ Bandra Worli Sealink in Mumbai. UPDATE: Report & Videos pg7 onwards-p111009151002.jpg

Red Bull F1 car @ Bandra Worli Sealink in Mumbai. UPDATE: Report & Videos pg7 onwards-p111009_1439.jpg

Red Bull F1 car @ Bandra Worli Sealink in Mumbai. UPDATE: Report & Videos pg7 onwards-p111009_1510.jpg

Red Bull F1 car @ Bandra Worli Sealink in Mumbai. UPDATE: Report & Videos pg7 onwards-p111009_151001.jpg

Red Bull F1 car @ Bandra Worli Sealink in Mumbai. UPDATE: Report & Videos pg7 onwards-p111009_151002.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 11th October 2009 at 18:35. Reason: Moved images to TBHP
Old 11th October 2009, 17:27   #97
Senior - BHPian

Pics from the show

I was the track marshal at today's event. Luckily, i was positioned just opposite to the paddock. And that is where DC did all the donuts The sound of the car was simply exhilarating.I had never heard an F1 car before. And hearing it for the first time while being just a few feet away from the car is something i cannot describe in words. An experience of a lifetime! I was just 2 feet away from the car when it was on the run, and my ears were paining! I had to hold the camera with one hand while close one ear with the other!
There was just a single lap on the single and I'm not sure if it was timed. DC was probably having a warm up and went upto 260kph on the sea-link! After returning, he did some donuts. I was thinking he would now do an official timed lap. But it didn't happen. I guess the tyres had heated a lot and there were bits of rubber flying off. The car also developed some technical problem. I could see some smoke coming out of the engine after it halted.
I have captured some videos and pics.
Firstly, a few pics. I'll upload the videos on youtube in some time.

I was standing right here
Red Bull F1 car @ Bandra Worli Sealink in Mumbai. UPDATE: Report & Videos pg7 onwards-dsc04212.jpg
DC being instructed by a team engineer
Red Bull F1 car @ Bandra Worli Sealink in Mumbai. UPDATE: Report & Videos pg7 onwards-dsc04218.jpg
Red Bull F1 car @ Bandra Worli Sealink in Mumbai. UPDATE: Report & Videos pg7 onwards-dsc04227.jpg
The aftermath
Red Bull F1 car @ Bandra Worli Sealink in Mumbai. UPDATE: Report & Videos pg7 onwards-dsc04229.jpg
Highly worn out tires
Red Bull F1 car @ Bandra Worli Sealink in Mumbai. UPDATE: Report & Videos pg7 onwards-dsc04244.jpg

Last edited by Dippy : 12th October 2009 at 10:59. Reason: aligning pics
Old 11th October 2009, 18:45   #98
Team-BHP Support

All in all it was an excellently organized event. There were huge crowds of people but the security and organization was really good -- especially keeping in mind how some of the public can behave

The only bummer was that the car did heat up pretty soon, and once DC seemed to stall while doing some donuts - that was it for the F1 car.

The sound was awesome, a lot better than during the engine firing that we covered yesterday (link). Obviously, since it was going to much higher RPMs today.

After the run
Red Bull F1 car @ Bandra Worli Sealink in Mumbai. UPDATE: Report & Videos pg7 onwards-p1000921-large.jpg

A little souvenir
Red Bull F1 car @ Bandra Worli Sealink in Mumbai. UPDATE: Report & Videos pg7 onwards-img_1735-large.jpg

There was a ton of gravel and dust on the roads (from the median), check out the collection of it on the carbon fibre.
Red Bull F1 car @ Bandra Worli Sealink in Mumbai. UPDATE: Report & Videos pg7 onwards-img_1743-large.jpg

Those slicks sure are sticky
Red Bull F1 car @ Bandra Worli Sealink in Mumbai. UPDATE: Report & Videos pg7 onwards-img_1744-large.jpg

Some great video footage from the Red Bull team to follow.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 11th October 2009 at 18:56.
Old 11th October 2009, 18:49   #99
Senior - BHPian

Red Bull Speedlink Raceday Report

Just back from the Red Bull Speed Link main event, something that everyone was looking forward to from the time it was announced. First the car assembly, then the engine Fire up and finally Race Day was here. It was supposed to be flagged off at 2 PM but I got there pretty early at about 12.30 PM reasons being to get a good parking space and avoiding last minute crowds.

Roamed around the paddock area and sat down with Red Bull engineers over chit chat about the general F1 scene and their experiences in India. I must say these guys are very friendly and obliging when it comes to getting answers to your questions. I like that.

Finally DC arrived on the scene at just after 2. Till then the mechanics gave the crowd something to cheer by starting up that V10 a couple of times. After talking to the media and visiting different sections of the paddock, he finally got into his racing suit and got into the car admist shouting and screaming from the crowd. The Cosworth came to life yet again and he slowly made his way out of the paddock or garage you (can say)towards the Sea Link. After high revving a bit to the delight of the crowd , he shot off to the bridge, those V10 symphonies ringing in ears of everyone present at the event. The echo which one could hear from the distance was to die for.

He came back after doing one full run and then as promised did a number of donuts to entertain everyone. The rubber laid down by those Bridgstones can still be seen if you head that way. However, the heat and those donuts lead to overheating of the engine and the second run could not be done. There was photo clicking galore and even the cops did not miss the oppurtunity to get clicked with the star.

Another interaction with the media the guests followed where DC answered alot of questions put to him. I put forward a couple of questions to David. Here they are and the answers he gave me:

Me: In all your F1 career, who is the one driver you enjoyed racing against the most?

DC: I enjoyed racing with many senior and younger racing drivers in my years in Formula 1 but if I had to name one man it would have to be Michael Schumacher. We have had our ups and down together but in the end he was a fantastic driver to race against. ( That bought a smile to my face )

Me: In your early years at Williams, you crashed into the barrier just at the enterance to the pit lane while leading a race. What exactly happened there?

DC: Well, like most racing accidents it was an engineers mistake. (laughs). As I downshifted (?? to go into the pitlane ??) the auto-blip on the throttle had been set wrong and that caused the car to actually speed up, just like stepping on the throttle. It proved to be a costly mistake for me as I was winning that race. But this is racing and these things keep happening.

As usual Bollywood made its presence felt with film personalities like Arbaaz Khan with kids in tow, Gul Panang, Dino Morea, Amrita Arora to name a few. The lucky kid also got to sit in the car. The event ended with another photo session followed by prize distribution to winners of a contest held by Red Bull. I said my goodbyes to the entire team for being so helpful over the past couple of days. Talking to these wonderful guys was truly a great experience. It was a nice event overall but a second run was surely missed. Nevertheless it will be something to remember for those who got to see and hear an F1 car in the flesh. Hope to see more events like these in the future.

Rehaan will be uploading the video footage soon.

P.S DC said that he touched 260 kph on the Sea Link.

Last edited by Dippy : 11th October 2009 at 18:59.
Old 11th October 2009, 18:58   #100
Senior - BHPian

Time for some videos now Being a track marshal, I was just a few feet away from the car! And the sound was just deafening!
Hope you guys enjoy these videos. Please put on your speakers to high volume to get the thrill. More coming soon.

Last edited by theragingbull : 11th October 2009 at 19:04.
Old 11th October 2009, 19:03   #101

How many runs did he do ? I left after the 1st run . One of the volunteer boy's told me that he was gonna do a couple more runs ?
Old 11th October 2009, 19:25   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penno View Post
How many runs did he do ? I left after the 1st run . One of the volunteer boy's told me that he was gonna do a couple more runs ?
He did just one run as the engine heated up and the car stalled. There awas no official timed lap. So DC couldn't complete his challenge of going through the sea link in 7 seconds.
Anyways here's another picture from the paddock after the run.

"Athithi devo bhava"
Attached Thumbnails
Red Bull F1 car @ Bandra Worli Sealink in Mumbai. UPDATE: Report & Videos pg7 onwards-dsc04246.jpg  

Old 11th October 2009, 19:57   #103
Senior - BHPian

Wow i wish i would be there.:( I missed out on a lot!

Others please also put up your experience of today's event.
Old 11th October 2009, 21:00   #104
BHPian

@Dippy : was this an older gen F1 car ?

I infer this by what you've said in your report : "by starting up that V10" and "The Cosworth came to life".

F1 cars have V8s since 2006, and Red Bull Racing uses Renault V8 engines since 2007. They used Cosworth V10 engines in 2005, and Ferrari V8 engines in 2006.

So is this the 2005 car ?

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift
Old 11th October 2009, 21:23   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourWheelDrift View Post
@Dippy : was this an older gen F1 car ?

I infer this by what you've said in your report : "by starting up that V10" and "The Cosworth came to life".

F1 cars have V8s since 2006, and Red Bull Racing uses Renault V8 engines since 2007. They used Cosworth V10 engines in 2005, and Ferrari V8 engines in 2006.

So is this the 2005 car ?

Cheers,
FourWheelDrift
Rehaan had said this before, in the thread taking a close up look at the car :
Quote:
This car was raced at the end of 2006, but when it was converted to a show car we added bits of RB1, RB2, RB3 and RB4!

The gearbox and back end is off the RB1, the chassis is RB2, some of the bodywork is RB3, it’s a mix and match.
We started when the RB3 was being raced in F1, but we couldn’t have a current car, so we used an RB2 and then we made it look like an RB3. Then RB4 came, and we took bits off RB3 to make it look like RB4.

Last edited by Rehaan : 11th October 2009 at 21:35. Reason: Link to thread added. Didn't realise you were there today! Lots of TBHPians around i guess.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks