Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2009, 15:12   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Am sure it would make racing atleast 100 times exciting than what currently it is
I'm not so sure, carrying race fuel is going to slow the cars down a lot, the cars will be carrying ~100 Kgs of fuel during qualifying & at the start of the race. And its not like its new anyway - refueling was banned in F1 for a decade before (1984 to 1993).

Of course pit-stops will be much faster with refueling gone, not to mention safer, but pit-stop strategy would remain. In fact, the short pit stops would reduce the extent to which pit-stops are disadvantageous - for example teams could choose the softer compound tires & more stops if they offer a significant enough advantage over the harder compounds. Engine efficiency would come to the fore, thirsty engines, like in the Ferraris, would be at a disadvantage, hope this is rectified by 2010...

Last edited by im_srini : 17th September 2009 at 15:16.
Old 17th September 2009, 15:20   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
I'm not so sure, carrying race fuel is going to slow the cars down a lot, the cars will be carrying ~100 Kgs of fuel during qualifying & at the start of the race. And its not like its new anyway - refueling was banned in F1 for a decade before (1984 to 1993).
I agree. I'd rather see refuelling stay because it allows for more ways in which a team can go faster. If not, then the car on pole is always the fastest and there will be little overtaking anyway.
Old 17th September 2009, 15:24   #78
BHPian

Is Renault Really Guilty?

I see a difference between being guilty and not disputing.
Old 17th September 2009, 15:30   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkris View Post
Yep, which is why I too asked for the mods to remove the edited bit on the title.
Old 17th September 2009, 15:32   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
yeah. the difference is that when you are guilty AND you feel guilty, you dont dispute.

Shame on Renault.
Old 17th September 2009, 17:10   #81
BHPian

Quote:
No!

Just the fact that they have quit reeks of guilt. Remember that Flavio Briatore has been in F1 for a long time and during that time he/his team - have been involved in numerous run ins with the FIA - rule infractions, allegations of cheating etc etc.
He has always contested the FIA on them and then taken the punishment/verdict. So him just quietly quitting like that is very unlike past history.

Whatever the truth of this is, quitting renault does not help their image of claiming "not guilty".

It might infact be a ploy by renault management to distance themselves from these 2 individuals, since Renaults commitment to formula 1 is still uncertain at best and they will want to keep their reputation in formula 1 (2 WC's are not trivial) better protected.

/rant

On another note - I was at that Singapore GP and sitting 2 rows up from where Piquet crashed and even then it looked wierd that someone crashed there. From what I remember, the whole weekend and various classes of cars had safely gone through that particular turn. It was the next turn that was creating problems for the drivers - alonso included.

Oh boy, the only F1 race I attend and now they say it was manipulated
Old 17th September 2009, 19:34   #82
Senior - BHPian

Didn't think this would take too long and indeed it didn't

Seriously though, they may still be found not guilty. That they don't dispute the claims that the race was fixed is one thing, but the WMSC could easily give Renault a clean chit and punish the errant Briatore and Symonds. I still think the thread title was edited much too early.
Old 18th September 2009, 01:57   #83
Senior - BHPian

Looks like Flav and Pat were told to leave by the top bosses at Renault... in order to save the team's reputation.

Frankly there was no hard evidence except for 'he said, she said'....so they could have walked out of this unscathed.

Moral of the story: Dont mess with Nelson Piquet jr.
Old 18th September 2009, 08:59   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
I still think the thread title was edited much too early.
I agree, Renault has acted proactively by getting rid of FB and PS as a face saving measure. They are trying to distance themselves from the 'fixing' done by 3 individuals. So technically Renault are not guilty, because Renault is not just FB and PS. They are just employed by Renault to manage and run their F1 team. But still Renault F1 team would be punished because the crime is serious enough to warrant that.
Old 18th September 2009, 13:20   #85
BHPian

Quote:
I do believe Renault is guilty. However speaking strictly on the comment above. There are times where clients are advised not to contest in rare cases such as marriage dispute. It seems that in such cases, even if you win the case, your life will be exposed to such a degree that its not worth it. I'm not saying there is a similarity, just that the comment has its own valid point.
Old 18th September 2009, 14:29   #86
Senior - BHPian

any updates on the crashgate?
Old 18th September 2009, 14:33   #87
BHPian

When so much of money is involved in any sport, there is bound to be cheating/fixing etc. A lot of crime syndicatescorporates/individuals would invest on these events and try to manipulate them.

Just a bit OT here, I was a die-hard fan of Indian cricket long time ago. What Azhar & co did, let me down so much that I lost faith/interest in the game/players. Now I tend to think, everything is fixed. So much more, I dont even know the names of the players and havent seen a single/game since then ( except the India-England test match at Headingley in 2002/03 only coz it was a free entry that day and we did not have anything much to do.)

Last edited by vdiatech : 18th September 2009 at 14:43.
Old 18th September 2009, 17:19   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Looks like Flav and Pat were told to leave by the top bosses at Renault... in order to save the team's reputation.

Frankly there was no hard evidence except for 'he said, she said'....so they could have walked out of this unscathed.

Moral of the story: Dont mess with Nelson Piquet jr.
Yes. It's Renault's name that will be dragged through the mud and even though their CEO says they resigned, it is obvious they were forced out.

Also, the Moral is : Dont Mess with Nelson Piquet Sr

The Dad is one mean streetfighter kind of guy and Flav should have been careful.
Old 18th September 2009, 20:03   #89
Senior - BHPian

So Piquet jr. got his revenge on Flavio but he is also shooting himself in the foot.

He was very much a part of that race fixing and could face a career ban from FIA and possible criminal charges in Singapore juristriction.
Old 18th September 2009, 21:02   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
So Piquet jr. got his revenge on Flavio but he is also shooting himself in the foot.

He was very much a part of that race fixing and could face a career ban from FIA and possible criminal charges in Singapore juristriction.
Yeah Agree. I cant see Piquet Jr ever again in F1 unless his dad buys a team or takes a majorty stake. I guess they thought they had nothing to lose and bought Flavio and Pat down with them.

Also, I really cant believe that Piquet Jr is so fragile minded that he accepted to do this. You really dont belong in F1 if you can be so easily co-erced.

Most Viewed