Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2009, 19:35   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRf1 View Post
P.S
Just a thought .
If at all this is a salary increasing gimmick by Button and co then this could work in Mclarens favour also as they can persuade Kimi to sign up fast for a lower pay.
I think that's exactly it. Button's the backup and the tool McLaren use to bring Kimi's demands down. But either way, looks like the 2010 McLaren line up will feature two WDCs!
Old 14th November 2009, 20:15   #92
BHPian

The Iceman

Lads,

To reiterate my thoughts re. McLaren:

Hamilton is the blue eyed boy, who has been packaged by Ron Dennis.

For Kimi and for Button ( whoever signs up) it will be a struggle in McLaren.

The point is which car will have an edge for a significant part of the 2010 season ( the Brawn had the edge in the initial stages and Button did well to carry that momentum so that in the ultimate analysis, he wasn't stretched).

To me the three competitive cars will likely be McLaren, Brawn and Ferrari.

In Ferrari I see some strain between the dodgy but talented Alonso and good boy Massa ( a Ferrari blue eyed boy). It will be interesting to see whom Ferrari favours as the season progresses - expect fireworks.

Seems Kimi's choices are the same as I thought some time back :

First choice - McLaren ( with the possible rider that he will treated fair and square wrt engines/ chassis/tyre upgrades)
Second choice - Brawn

Never underestimate the professional but shrewd Ross B.

The suspense on the Iceman is as compelling as a Hitchcock classic

Regards
Old 14th November 2009, 20:45   #93
BHPian

IMHO Mclaren are very capable of delievering competetive cars to both drivers and so are Ferrari . As the season progresses and in later stages if one driver has the clear chance to win the championship then the updates can be more driver centric .
If Brawn and RedBull can provide equal cars to both their drivers then so can Ferrari and Mclaren .
Ferrari have infact provided competitive cars to both its drivers in the past 3 years , having won 2 out of the 3 constructors championship and 1 drivers championship and a close 2nd in 2008 .
Mclaren were within a point of winning 2007 title having two competitive drivers .In 1988 Mclaren won 15 of 16 races with two competetive drivers and ofcourse a competetive car .
IMO the problem arises not in providing a competetive car to both drivers but in relationship between the two drivers .
Old 15th November 2009, 13:04   #94
MCR
BHPian

Lotu F1 seems to have signed their first driver. The name is yet to be announced. Jarno Trulli is rumored to be the driver.
Old 15th November 2009, 13:16   #95
BHPian

1. The team has to provide a competitive car- without a competitive car no driver can win on skills and talent alone.
2. The problem in Ferrari is that they believe in positioning one driver as #1 and the other as #2; when you have two claimants for the WDC then you have a problem
3. McLaren doesn't believe in that precept but here Hamilton is the blue eyed boy with his sugar daddy; so the other driver might be short-changed as Heiki claims he was.

P.S. : I missed out Red Bull. They are likely to be another strong title contender along with McLaren, Brawn and Ferrari.

By competitive I meant the car has to have a discernible edge, as Brawn and to a certain extent, Red Bull were, this season. Ferrari in this season was not competitive at all. Moreover in 2007 and in 2008 they were equal to McLaren, at best; didn't have an edge over them. Very different from the Schumi years when they were clearly the best. Similarly when Renault was competitive, i.e., had a clear edge, Alonso won.

Regards
Old 15th November 2009, 14:46   #96
BHPian

Looking at the way the driver markets are going .. i think Kimi is going to Brawn as he doesnt mind a pay cut , as long as hes in a front running team . And it could be an all British team at Mclaren if Button goes there as his management wants an increase in pay .
Old 16th November 2009, 21:23   #97
BHPian

Mercedes-Benz acquires Brawn GP.
Ross Brawn will remain as Team Principle.
The Official Formula 1 Website
Old 17th November 2009, 10:36   #98
Senior - BHPian

It appears that Button will be joining McLaren. More or less confirmed since the Guardian is a reputed source. Gosh, Raikkonen seems to be really heading for the door.

Jenson Button agrees to join McLaren on three-year, £6m-a-year deal | Sport | guardian.co.uk
Old 17th November 2009, 12:26   #99
Senior - BHPian

And it will be Rosberg with Heidfeld at the New Mercedes GP! Kimi, most probably out... I dont think so
Old 17th November 2009, 13:19   #100
Senior - BHPian

I think the best for all would be if Button stays in Mercedes Brawn and Kimi joins McLaren.
But if Button to McLaren is done, then Kimi has no other option left than to join Mercedes. Somehow that doesn't go well with his earlier statement of "McLaren or nothing".
Old 17th November 2009, 14:43   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
Somehow that doesn't go well with his earlier statement of "McLaren or nothing".
Maybe he actually, truly, didn't know of the impending Brawn GP takeover by Mercedes
Old 17th November 2009, 15:07   #102
BHPian

Timo Glock has joined Manor Grand Prix .
Excerpts from autosport.com - the authority on Formula One, F1, MotoGP, WRC, IRL, GP2, F2, A1GP, Le Mans, NASCAR and more
Quote:
Timo Glock has been announced as Manor Grand Prix's first driver for its maiden Formula 1 World Championship assault next year. The 27-year-old German, who had also been linked with a move to Renault for 2010, joins the British team following two seasons with Toyota.
"I had several options for 2010, some of them with more established teams," said Glock.
"Every driver has the same overall objective - to win the world championship one day - but the way I want to succeed is to be part of the process of building a team and to play a key role in developing the car. This is why the opportunity with Manor Grand Prix is so exciting for me.
"I have spent a lot of time with [technical director] Nick Wirth, [team principal] John Booth and other members of the team and what I liked most is that this a real racing team run by true racers.
"The team may be small and new but it has big ambitions and a very impressive car and development programme. I am confident that I can play a big role in terms of my technical input and that's a fantastic opportunity for me. I can't wait to start testing the new car early next year."
Wirth, who previously ran the Simtek F1 team from 1994-95, said that he was pleased to have snapped up the 2007 GP2 champion.
"It has always been my recommendation that we have at least one driver with experience of the 2009 cars to help our development programme, but to get a driver that has not only achieved podium finishes in 2009 but has such proven talent and the potential to take us forward for many years is very exciting," he said.
"The fact that he has come and seen all aspects of the project before making his decision speaks volumes about what we have achieved so far. Now we just can't wait to get Timo into the new car once track testing begins next year."
Glock finished 10th in last year's world championship with Toyota, despite missing the final two races following a heavy qualifying crash in Japan that left him with an injured leg.
Old 17th November 2009, 20:52   #103
BHPian

Button about to be signed by McLaren Planetf1 says. If that happens will be sad for Raikkonen as there is no other option for him.

Last edited by LandCruiser : 17th November 2009 at 21:06.
Old 17th November 2009, 22:02   #104
Senior - BHPian

Schumacher to quit Ferrari F1 role for Mercedes GP seat? | F1 News | Nov 2009 | Crash.Net

When hell freezes over, perhaps. But then again, stranger things have happened.
Old 17th November 2009, 22:40   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Schumacher to quit Ferrari F1 role for Mercedes GP seat? | F1 News | Nov 2009 | Crash.Net

When hell freezes over, perhaps. But then again, stranger things have happened.
I almost gagged on reading this.

I know Schumi has a good history with mercedes but this seems really unbelievable! I hope this news doesn't blow out big time like the earlier mid-season comeback plan only to fizzle out. I guess we'll hear a statement from him/mercedes soon enough.

Last edited by gomzi : 17th November 2009 at 22:41. Reason: it's big time not bug time :)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks