Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2009, 14:03   #46
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Button had a dominating run over the opening races (won 6 of the first 8?). However, I gotta say, he won the championship in the most un-champion way. Most of his recent performances were entirely lacklustre, even the ol' Barri was giving Jenson a run for his money. Heck, I don't remember the last time that Button won a race!

I'm really happy for Ross Brawn though. Truly distinguished personality. The fact that he can make a Button win the championship in the team's debut year, just goes to show his contribution to Schumachers success. Hats off, Brawn!
Old 20th October 2009, 14:28   #47
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations to Brawn GP and Jenson Button !

But Button hasn't really done anything of note after the 1st 8 races , has he ? Was it the surprise factor of the Brawn cars in the initial races where the other teams might have just considered them lightly, that got Button and Brawn GP to win the titles ?
Old 20th October 2009, 14:49   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Button had a dominating run over the opening races (won 6 of the first 8?). However, I gotta say, he won the championship in the most un-champion way.
Too true! I missed watching the entire 1st half of the season and so I didn't even see Button win any race. So Button winning the c'ship does remind me a bit of how Schumi limped to his c'ship in 2003.

All said, Button has the maximum points at the end of the year and the maximum race wins of the year, so he has prevailed in a topsy-turvy season.

Looking back the season has been pretty competitive with many different drivers and teams getting onto the podium, I cannot remember any other recent F1 season having such a big mix up-top.
Old 20th October 2009, 14:53   #49
BHPian

Iceman staying calm when engulfed with flames and P6 was a good finish.If not for that incident,he would have easily been on podium.

Funny that Mark Webber went away free after that stupid move clipping Kimi's front wing.

On a side note,Brawn mechanics removing the fuel rig from Heiki's car.2008 we saw Ferrari mechanics running all the way from one side of the pitlane to the other to remove the rig from Massa's car - makes me wonder,why?

Edit:

watch this video.Its clear Mclaren's lollypop guy might well have been watching Iceman rather than Heiki.As soon as Kimi started,the lollypop guy gave Heiki the signal to move.Heat of the moment mistake.Kimi must have been extremely lucky
Old 20th October 2009, 14:57   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicvj View Post
Refueling will be taken off from next season. From 2010 there is a ban on refueling during the race.

Refueling was brought back in 1994 so that other cars can be competitive to super fast Williams at that time. Glad to see it go away, but might affect Force India and other teams in the qualifying. Hope they allow to run light during qualifying.
The cars will all run light during qualifying, and not with race fuel on board. That means the fastest car will be on pole !
Old 20th October 2009, 18:14   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraj View Post
On a side note,Brawn mechanics removing the fuel rig from Heiki's car.2008 we saw Ferrari mechanics running all the way from one side of the pitlane to the other to remove the rig from Massa's car - makes me wonder,why?
Thought about this too. I think its because Heikki parked right in front of Brawn's pitbox and the last thing they want in such an important race is a fire in their box. Or maybe its their way of saying thanks for the Merc engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
Too true! I missed watching the entire 1st half of the season and so I didn't even see Button win any race. So Button winning the c'ship does remind me a bit of how Schumi limped to his c'ship in 2003.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Button had a dominating run over the opening races (won 6 of the first 8?). However, I gotta say, he won the championship in the most un-champion way. Most of his recent performances were entirely lacklustre, even the ol' Barri was giving Jenson a run for his money. Heck, I don't remember the last time that Button won a race!
The thing about Button is that he had a great start to the season but an average middle and end. Imagine if Button's season was reversed and he had all his wins in the last six races. Then we'd be waxing lyrical about how great a comeback it was and so on and hardly anyone would call him unworthy of the title. Its just that the recent races are more etched in your minds than the first half.
Old 20th October 2009, 18:31   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
The thing about Button is that he had a great start to the season but an average middle and end. Imagine if Button's season was reversed and he had all his wins in the last six races. Then we'd be waxing lyrical about how great a comeback it was and so on and hardly anyone would call him unworthy of the title. Its just that the recent races are more etched in your minds than the first half.
Quite true!

However, it is still important to stay on the top of the game right at the current moment. You call yourself a champion and then get beaten up by each and sundry. Now, that doesn't sound very nice even if you have won the title. Well! Not exactly that case here, but then you get the point that others are trying to make.
Old 22nd October 2009, 14:41   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
You call yourself a champion and then get beaten up by each and sundry. Now, that doesn't sound very nice even if you have won the title.
hmm, this somehow made me wonder which F1 champion has won the c'ship by having the least race-win percentage in the season. I guess it could have been less than Buttons 33% (with 1 race to spare). I cannot access sports websites from work, so will have to wait till tonight to find that out.
Old 23rd October 2009, 12:24   #54
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Hey, I agree with what you are saying. The one who gets the most points = Champion. Button earned his fair & square (no real ontrack controversies either).

However, the way that I see it : When his car was the fastest, he made the most of it. Full credit for maximising the opportunity and not putting a wheel wrong in the first 8 races. However, once some of the other teams caught up with the Brawns in pace (9 races into the season), Button failed to make an impression. Barrichello beat him hollow in more races than one (in the later half). His drive was superb in the first half of the season, but equally devoid of any champion performance in the latter races.
Old 23rd October 2009, 12:48   #55
BHPian

What actually went wrong for Barrichello in this race, Was the pit stop's slow or when coming out of the pits he was stuck in traffic.
Old 23rd October 2009, 13:07   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
hmm, this somehow made me wonder which F1 champion has won the c'ship by having the least race-win percentage in the season.
I think its Keke Rosberg in 1982
Old 28th October 2009, 20:37   #57
sandeep sharma

Well i have to say that this season was really unusual as far as the races were concerned.
First of all the new change in the rules to win the world championship were changed and frankly that took away all the excitement, which was the highest the last season, and it was really really very confusing. The other factor was that the primary teams which had been hardcore competitors for all this years were having a lacklustre drive around all the circuits, the only teams which looked determined were Brawn, Red Bull and force India.

Hopefully the FIA would change these rules and bring back the old ones and re-generate the old excitement.

Old 29th October 2009, 18:55   #58
Senior - BHPian

Sutil and Trulli are still mad at each other, lol! Its a welcome change to see drivers acting with passion instead of the usual diplomatic answers.

Sutil and Trulli continue their Brazilian feud - Planet-F1 News - from planet-f1.com

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks